PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JW speed is slow. Anything I can do to make it faster?

SSF24681
07-03-2014, 08:01 AM
The internet on my Asus G750JW-DB71 is pretty slow. When I download something on Google Chrome, my speed is around 200kbps.
On my old Compaq laptop, I had a download speed of 1.2mbps. I want to know what I can do to solve this problem because 200kbps is very slow. I tried updating my WLAN drivers, but it's on the latest version for me (which is Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter version 6.30.223.102.) Also when playing video games, it spikes from 20 to 100s, and rarely 1000. Again if anyone knows a solution or advice then I'll be here waiting for the answer.

hmscott
07-03-2014, 08:21 AM
The internet on my Asus G750JW-DB71 is pretty slow. When I download something on Google Chrome, my speed is around 200kbps.
On my old Compaq laptop, I had a download speed of 1.2mbps. I want to know what I can do to solve this problem because 200kbps is very slow. I tried updating my WLAN drivers, but it's on the latest version for me (which is Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter version 6.30.223.102.) Also when playing video games, it spikes from 20 to 100s, and rarely 1000. Again if anyone knows a solution or advice then I'll be here waiting for the answer.

SSF24681, wow, a 1.2mbps link is pretty slow to start with... it might be the tuning of TCP on Windows, so I would install and run TCP Optimizer as Administrator to tune your Windows settings - you set the speed slider to match the maximum speed of your internet connection and TCP Optimizer sets various buffer and TCP settings to match.

TCP Optimizer - Reduce lag, Increase throughput
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45433-TCP-Optimizer-Reduce-lag-Increase-throughput&p=386351&viewfull=1#post386351

The other thing is the JW/JX/JZ Windows 8.1 drivers are not up to date. Asus has the habit of only updating drivers for their newest released products, so you can download the latest drivers from their latest products that use the same hardware components. In this case the JM/JS/JZ, which are built of all the same components except for the GPU.

G750 support areas - The JM download area has the latest of all the G750, with JS/JZ next, the
G750JW/JX/JH are out of date:
http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

Here is the latest Notebook Audio - for G750 => Realtek driver package Version V6.0.1.7235
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30

Here are the latest Notebook Bluetooth drivers
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Bluetooth&p=3&ft=27&os=30

Here are the latest Notebook WLAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=WLAN&os=3

Here are the latest Notebook LAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=589&m=LAN&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

Notebook Asus SmartGesture
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+Smart+Gesture&hashedid=n%2fa

Notebook ATK Package
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK%20Package&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, currently at release 2.6.4.0 for the G750JW/JX/JH, Nvidia 340.43 breaks this, so use MSI Afterburner 3.01beta
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics

%20cards&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n

%2fa

Here are the Asus posted VGA drivers, it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - currently 340.43,
except for the JM/JS/JZ owners you probably want to keep using 332.60 to avoid random crashes - as
reported by a lot of people.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&s=111

Darnassus
07-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Just go to Device Manager, find your wireless module, deactivate it.. uninstall the driver, reboot, then reactivate it, then reboot again.

It'll re-install itself. Then test it.

hmscott
07-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Just go to Device Manager, find your wireless module, deactivate it.. uninstall the driver, reboot, then reactivate it, then reboot again.
It'll re-install itself. Then test it.

Darnassus, that method is a good way to reinstall the same driver version, if the problem is that the current install is corrupted.

The version SSF24681 has installed - v6.30.223.102 is out of date, so SSF24681 can benefit from updating to v6.30.223.228, which is in the G750JS and Notebook WLAN download areas.

All those Asus Support download links are so SSF24681 can find all the latest driver updates, since the ones in the JW support area are now all out of date.

Maxter
07-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Could the issue come from the WiFi router? Maybe it is set to compatibility mode with B and G type cards, while the G750's is beyond that? I found to get an increase by ~10% speed when forcing only 1 type of band in the router.

hmscott
07-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Could the issue come from the WiFi router? Maybe it is set to compatibility mode with B and G type cards, while the G750's is beyond that? I found to get an increase by ~10% speed when forcing only 1 type of band in the router.

Maxter, first he needs to get all his drivers updated and tune the Windows TCP settings. If there is still a problem I will ask him to get snipping tool snippets of his wifi connection status, and suggest hooking up using ethernet to test performance through wired.

Incompatible router settings come later :)

Ddee711
07-04-2014, 06:28 PM
My download speed is greater than 20 mbs. I am thinking this might be the internet speed the user has. I had to pay for higher speeds.

kokope
07-06-2014, 08:17 PM
I have the same problem with JS. My low end laptop downloand with 8mb/s. 4mb/s with JS. I tried everything-clean driver install , old drivers, new drivers NOTHING WORKS. I changed the router channels... nothing.

hmscott
07-06-2014, 11:05 PM
I have the same problem with JS. My low end laptop downloand with 8mb/s. 4mb/s with JS. I tried everything-clean driver install , old drivers, new drivers NOTHING WORKS. I changed the router channels... nothing.

kokope, did you try forcing the connection to Wide 40mhz channel on the router side? If it is set to narrow 20mhz, or auto 20/40, force it to wide 40mhz channel. Also make sure you are using AES encryption set on the router - not TKIP or WEP.

You could look at the connection status of the wireless connection on both laptops, to compare the connection details:

Maxter
07-07-2014, 01:56 AM
Just in case, try checking other WiFi channels. When they overlap with your neighbor's you can lose a huge amount of speed. I understand latest drivers need to be installed, but I don't think the speed is driver related. I have the JW version and all drivers offered from support.asus.com work fine in terms of speed once connected.
A useful Android app I use for checking channel overlap is WiFi analyzer... My speed increased by 100% once I chose the correct channel here at home.

redduc900
07-07-2014, 03:20 AM
Thanks a lot for the WI-FI Analyzer suggestion. After running the program on my Android, I found out the current / selected channel 6 wasn't the optimal one. Come to find out, channels 11-14 were less crowded. I chose channel 11 (the Westell 7500 only offer channels 1-11 as options), and my speed has increased significantly. I couldn't find an option to change the channel bandwidth though.

SSF24681
07-07-2014, 03:41 AM
Thank. You. hmscott, you are truly the best. After updating my WLAN driver to the newest version, Google Chrome downloads are now 1.4 mbps. I can confirm though that TWC is really pathetic as the ping always rises high into space! I'll deal with it for now and I might try out Verizon FIOS. Again thank you for the help and all others too.

hmscott
07-07-2014, 04:06 AM
Thank. You. hmscott, you are truly the best. After updating my WLAN driver to the newest version, Google Chrome downloads are now 1.4 mbps. I can confirm though that TWC is really pathetic as the ping always rises high into space! I'll deal with it for now and I might try out Verizon FIOS. Again thank you for the help and all others too.

SSF24681, awesome! Glad to hear that fixed it, it usually does. :)

There are several other things that come up as helping, making sure you are on WPA2/AES for greater than 54mbps connections, bandwidth increase from 20mhz to 40mhz, enabling/disabling WMM, and looking at the WLAN Landscape to move to a clearer channel - or move bands from 2.4ghz to 5.0ghz.

Wifi Analyzer is great, I love showing shop owners why their Wifi sucks, usually because all the local shop's AP/routers are on the same channel :)

For home I like inSSIDer, I bought 4.x, but 3.x was still downloadable and usable for free. The built-in antenna's in the G750's are awesome, check out all the AP/Routers I see from here:

You can still get inSSIDer 3.x from here:
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

You can get the inSSIDer 4.x here:
http://www.inssider.com/inssider/

Wifi stuff can be hard to debug, but having the most up to date known good firmware in the router / AP and latest Windows driver in the PC makes all the difference for compatibility.

SSF24681
07-07-2014, 06:07 AM
SSF24681, awesome! Glad to hear that fixed it, it usually does. :)

There are several other things that come up as helping, making sure you are on WPA2/AES for greater than 54mbps connections, bandwidth increase from 20mhz to 40mhz, enabling/disabling WMM, and looking at the WLAN Landscape to move to a clearer channel - or move bands from 2.4ghz to 5.0ghz.

Wifi Analyzer is great, I love showing shop owners why their Wifi sucks :)

For home I like inSSIDer, I bought 4.x, but 3.x was still downloadable and usable for free. The built-in antenna's in the G750's are awesome, check out all the AP/Routers I see from here:

You can still get inSSIDer 3.x from here:
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

You can get the inSSIDer 4.x here:
http://www.inssider.com/inssider/

Wifi stuff can be hard to debug, but having the most up to date known good firmware in the router / AP and latest Windows driver in the PC makes all the difference for compatibility.

One more thing. My Asus G750JW also has a DATA (D: ) drive. I heard that this can be a secondary way of storing files and documents. I want to know if I can move all my games from C: drive to D: drive. I want to make sure just in case, because I don't want my games to get messed up before checking if it's safe or not. I apologize with all these questions; I'm not that experienced with computer parts.

hmscott
07-07-2014, 06:39 AM
One more thing. My Asus G750JW also has a DATA (D: ) drive. I heard that this can be a secondary way of storing files and documents. I want to know if I can move all my games from C: drive to D: drive. I want to make sure just in case, because I don't want my games to get messed up before checking if it's safe or not. I apologize with all these questions; I'm not that experienced with computer parts.

SSF24681, does your Asus have 1 drive or 2? Asus tends to split their drives into 2 partitions, even when it makes 2 too small ones from 1 just about right size.

My JH came with a RAID0 of 2 x 128GB SSD's, which should have come as a nice 256GB partition, but instead Asus split the RAID0 volume of 256GB back into 2 x 128GB partitions - very silly really :)

Even the 1TB drive in the 2nd bay was split into 2 512GB partitions.

But, the good news is you can delete the 2nd partition, and then merge empty space into the remaining partition.

I am assuming you can delete that D partition and merge the empty space into the C partition. Which means you don't need to reinstall all your games onto the D partition, you can backup what you have on the D partition right now - delete the partition with Windows Storage Manager - right click on MyComputer => Manage - and also use WSM to right click on the C partition and merge the now free space - reboot, and you now have 2x the size+ of a C partition.

Before doing this, please go into the WSM and take a snipping tool grab of the image of the disk/partition layout and post it here to be sure. Sometimes it is the F: partition to delete for the merge, not the D partition

Here is mine, 256GB C, 1TB F (in an external USB 3.0 enclosure), and a 512GB SSD I added and replace the 1TB with in the 2nd Bay. Note the partitioning on the 512GB is a restore image of the Asus install - which is also bootable - I haven't combined those partitions so you can see the original layout.

kokope
07-07-2014, 04:01 PM
I tried everything you posted here...still nothing. I can't get more than 30-40mbps. It seems that this problem is only with the broadcom wireless network.

hmscott
07-07-2014, 05:16 PM
I tried everything you posted here...still nothing. I can't get more than 30-40mbps. It seems that this problem is only with the broadcom wireless network.

kokope, a little more detail would help :)

You get 30-40mbps throughput on Wireless, and you think that is low as compared to wired ethernet?, or another wireless laptop connected to the same router/AP?

What is the connection speed between the G750 and the router/AP? What is the make/model of the router?

What all have you tried?

rognoobie
07-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Just in case, try checking other WiFi channels. When they overlap with your neighbor's you can lose a huge amount of speed. I understand latest drivers need to be installed, but I don't think the speed is driver related. I have the JW version and all drivers offered from support.asus.com work fine in terms of speed once connected.
A useful Android app I use for checking channel overlap is WiFi analyzer... My speed increased by 100% once I chose the correct channel here at home.

Thank you so much, that worked like a charm ..

kokope
07-07-2014, 06:41 PM
kokope, a little more detail would help :)

You get 30-40mbps throughput on Wireless, and you think that is low as compared to wired ethernet?, or another wireless laptop connected to the same router/AP?

What is the connection speed between the G750 and the router/AP? What is the make/model of the router?

What all have you tried?
I get 30-40mbps throughput on Wireless and my low end Asus get 80-90mbps throughput on Wireless . The router is @ir lan 802.11n. I tried disabling the WMM , changing IBSS Mode, a different channel, bandwith: every option in device manager. I get 80mbps throughput LAN.

hmscott
07-07-2014, 10:01 PM
I get 30-40mbps throughput on Wireless and my low end Asus get 80-90mbps throughput on Wireless . The router is @ir lan 802.11n. I tried disabling the WMM , changing IBSS Mode, a different channel, bandwith: every option in device manager. I get 80mbps throughput LAN.

When you right click on the wireless adapter in Windows, and look at Status, what is the connect speed?

Maxter
07-07-2014, 10:04 PM
The connect speed is 300 Mbps (that's bits, not bytes) for you. Remember that just because your network can handle that much doesn't mean your internet will be faster. In terms of internet, you are limited to whatever you pay for. But within the network, you can transfer one way 150 Mbps and the other way 150 Mbps (cross talk between computers that is...)

hmscott
07-08-2014, 04:51 AM
The connect speed is 300 Mbps (that's bits, not bytes) for you. Remember that just because your network can handle that much doesn't mean your internet will be faster. In terms of internet, you are limited to whatever you pay for. But within the network, you can transfer one way 150 Mbps and the other way 150 Mbps (cross talk between computers that is...)

Thanks Maxtor, but that actually wasn't where I was going with my question for kokope, I wanted to see if his connection speed was limited to 54mbps, which would tell me he wasn't using WPA2/AES - which is the agreed upon enabler to connect at higher speeds. Kokope's throughput on Wifi fits that possibility - he is seeing 80mbps on Wired, which also fits - kokope has more internet throughput available, but is seeing throughput as if he is connecting at 54mbps.

Kokope, is that what you are seeing? Try setting the router/adapter encryption to WPA2/AES, and reconnect, you should now connect faster than 54mbps and gain real throughput.

WPA2 TKIP or AES encryption?
http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=331

Data rate will not exceed 54 Mbps when WEP or TKIP encryption is configured
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/cs-025643.htm

"Cause

The IEEE* 802.11n draft prohibits using high throughput with WEP or TKIP as the unicast cipher. If you use these encryption methods (for example, WEP, WPA-TKIP), your data rate will drop to 54 Mbps."

"Solution:

Contact your Wi-Fi access point (AP) or router manufacturer to download the latest firmware version, or get information on particular models supporting High Throughput.
Disable packet bursting or similar features
Configure the Wi-Fi client device's profile to use Wi-Fi Protected Access* (WPA2-AES or WPA2-TKIP).
Configure the AP or router to match the client profile."

kokope
07-08-2014, 05:37 AM
Thanks Maxtor, but that actually wasn't where I was going with my question for kokope, I wanted to see if his connection speed was limited to 54mbps, which would tell me he wasn't using WPA2/AES - which is the agreed upon enabler to connect at higher speeds. Kokope's throughput on Wifi fits that possibility - he is seeing 80mbps on Wired, which also fits - kokope has more internet throughput available, but is seeing throughput as if he is connecting at 54mbps.

Kokope, is that what you are seeing? Try setting the router/adapter encryption to WPA2/AES, and reconnect, you should now connect faster than 54mbps and gain real throughput.

WPA2 TKIP or AES encryption?
http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=331

Data rate will not exceed 54 Mbps when WEP or TKIP encryption is configured
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/cs-025643.htm

"Cause

The IEEE* 802.11n draft prohibits using high throughput with WEP or TKIP as the unicast cipher. If you use these encryption methods (for example, WEP, WPA-TKIP), your data rate will drop to 54 Mbps."

"Solution:

Contact your Wi-Fi access point (AP) or router manufacturer to download the latest firmware version, or get information on particular models supporting High Throughput.
Disable packet bursting or similar features
Configure the Wi-Fi client device's profile to use Wi-Fi Protected Access* (WPA2-AES or WPA2-TKIP).
Configure the AP or router to match the client profile."
When i open wifi status the speed is : 72 mbps.

hmscott
07-08-2014, 05:53 AM
When i open wifi status the speed is : 72 mbps.

What is the encryption set up on the router / laptop wifi? WPA2/AES, or?

Did I already ask what make / model router you have?

Please post a snipping tool image of the settings dialog for the router config for Wifi - Obscure the SSID and password, if it is in clear text. There could be other settings involved.

Does the router have updated firmware, don't just use the onboard firmware check, go to the maker support page for the router and find out what they have available for your model/rev.

It could be an incompatible chipset, or a setting to tweak, if you want to pursue this I would be happy to help. :)

kokope
07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I found my solution! The router is 2 rooms away from my ROG so I moved it closer and now everything is absolutely fine ! Thanks anyway :)

hmscott
07-08-2014, 02:16 PM
I found my solution! The router is 2 rooms away from my ROG so I moved it closer and now everything is absolutely fine ! Thanks anyway :)

kokope, happy to help!!

...note to self, for Wifi help, add suggestion to "Sit closer to Router" :)