PDA

View Full Version : G750 JX couple of questions Benchmark and 3D

Pepperami
07-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Hiya Guys

Well, I got the ASUS G750 JX for my 50th Birthday :)

Im primarily a gamer, but this is to be used for my work as well as I start a new job soon and need a decent laptop!!

Now, questions :)

I ran the Heaven Benchmark on this thing of beauty, the Tessellation was off, I don't know if that should be on as its new to me, but I will attach the results, can anyone tell me is this is ok?

I ran it for 5 mins before doing the benchmark, temp was around 71 deg

I have the Intel BOOST Technology installed, but this is not overclocked in any way, its bog standard, with a Samsung Pro SSD fitted and an extra 8GB of ram installed

I would like to maybe push it a bit further but I have not overclocked before so I would not know where to start!

Also, is this Laptop compatible with the Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses Kit??

Says I need a compatible GPU which I think this is, and on the ASUS Product Page it lists this with the little 3D Logo so I thought I would ask as its NOT listed on its packing at all, so I am unsure?

Any help appreciated please guys :)

Best wishes

Chris

Pepperami
07-03-2014, 12:30 PM

hmscott
07-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Pepperami, it's been a while since I had my JX, I did save a result from Heaven 4.0, but it was on Quality: High, so it scores a bit higher, if you do another run at High then we can compare. This run was done at 932mhz/5200mhz

Pepperami
07-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Ok mate will do this tomorrow and take a screenie for comparison :)

Will also be reading the tweaking thread tomorrow as well after I have done that, to see what sort of differences it makes :)

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Mhhhh mines a LOT lower than yours.... same settings, WTF LOL

hmscott
07-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Mhhhh mines a LOT lower than yours.... same settings, WTF LOL

Pepperami, that is why we use XTU to unleash designed performance out of the CPU, and Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards to tune the GPU.

36x, 35x, 34x, 34x Core multi's, 36x CPU cache multi + 932mhz GPU Core Clock and 5250mhz GPU Memory = Better Performance :)

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 08:36 AM
ahh yours is slightly overclocked, that explains it

The ASUS Tweak will not allow me to go beyond 929 on the GPU Clock but on this guide

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38049-Guide-for-Overclocking-Maximum-Stability-amp-Performance-for-CPU-amp-GPU.&country=&status=

its up to 997 so how is this achieved?

tru.kirby
07-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Try MSI Afterburner instead of Asus GU Tweak.

hmscott
07-07-2014, 09:00 AM
ahh yours is slightly overclocked, that explains it
The ASUS Tweak will not allow me to go beyond 929 on the GPU Clock but on this guide
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38049-Guide-for-Overclocking-Maximum-Stability-amp-Performance-for-CPU-amp-GPU.&country=&status=
its up to 997 so how is this achieved?

Pepperami, my first answer was going to be it is read from the vbios and is a limit set there, and it probably is, but somehow the Asus Tweak tool, as it progressed in versions, skipped between a version that would show a maximum of 997 mhz (2.4.1.0) and 932 mhz - and still only 932 mhz in 2.6.2.0 - I vaguely recall this happening - which is why I went through my old JX images, and found these two Asus Tweak tool version images, one at 997 and one at 932.

I have Nvidia 340.43 installed, which isn't playing nicely with Asus Tweak tool, so I can't test this, but you could download and install 2.4.1.0 - if it will work with Windows 8.1 - 2.4.1.0 was out before Windows 8.1 so it might not work.

Let us know how it works :)

And, my most recent use of Asus Tweak Tool 2.6.2.0, at 932 mhz. The newer version was unstable for me.

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 09:08 AM
i appreciate you doing this for me hmscott, so thank you!

I will try it now just downloading that specific version

tru.kirby - Never used afterburner and as I am trying to follow the guide, I thought I best stick with what people on here can help me with, but thank you for the suggestion I might have to give it a try if this doesn't work :)

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 09:10 AM
hmscott, can I ask, as I have the G750 JX with the 770m can you recommend some settings?

I am downloading the XTU as we speak so will reboot after as I have removed the old ASUS Tweak and will be back shortly :P

hmscott
07-07-2014, 09:17 AM
i appreciate you doing this for me hmscott, so thank you!
I will try it now just downloading that specific version
tru.kirby - Never used afterburner and as I am trying to follow the guide, I thought I best stick with what people on here can help me with, but thank you for the suggestion I might have to give it a try if this doesn't work :)

hmscott, can I ask, as I have the G750 JX with the 770m can you recommend some settings?
I am downloading the XTU as we speak so will reboot after as I have removed the old ASUS Tweak and will be back shortly :P

Pepperami, look back at my posts in this thread, I put the suggested values in words and as captured in the images 4x :)

MSI Afterburner is the only way to OC right now for Nvidia driver release 340.43 Beta... here is my current setting for my G750JH.

And, I use GPU-Z for monitoring

Note the actual boost value is above 932 mhz at 979.8 mhz; that happens within the vBIOS, after setting the max manual boost setting. The +135 mhz boost is the max allowed adjustment by the vBIOS.

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Ahhh nice one!!!!!

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 11:12 AM
mhhhh

I downloaded the older version of GPU tweak and 932 is the highest I can set it too, am I missing something>??

hmscott
07-07-2014, 11:17 AM
mhhhh
I downloaded the older version of GPU tweak and 932 is the highest I can set it too, am I missing something>??

Pepperami, it might be Nvidia driver related too :)

Check the release date for the Tweak tool, and match up an Nvidia driver from that time.

Sorry, but I can't test it myself, but if you figure it out, let us know :)

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 11:21 AM
ok I have used the settings from the second pic, the only thing it wont let me do is have a refresh of 100 keeps going back to 60 no matter what I do, but the other settings have stayed, so 932 850 and 5000

so the GPU is done, CPU next?

and if I get an older driver and get it 997 is that better? sorry might seem like a stupid question, but if I can get it to 997 I want to make sure the other settings are correct also

hmscott
07-07-2014, 11:34 AM
ok I have used the settings from the second pic, the only thing it wont let me do is have a refresh of 100 keeps going back to 60 no matter what I do, but the other settings have stayed, so 932 850 and 5000
so the GPU is done, CPU next?
and if I get an older driver and get it 997 is that better? sorry might seem like a stupid question, but if I can get it to 997 I want to make sure the other settings are correct also

Pepperami, I just noticed, that was on a G750JW which I got out of the first batch shipped by Asus to my area, so it might have had an early vBIOS which allowed 997, later vBIOS might have dropped the max to 932...

To really test it would require running Windows 8.0 + 2.4.1.0 + vintage Nvidia driver, and then upgrade to a newer Tweak tool to see the difference in readings running 100% load on GPU - real measured GPU core frequency. If it wasn't an early vBIOS thing.

And, then you would likely be stuck back on those revs - probably not Windows 8.1 compatible.

You can forget the voltage setting, it does nothing except set and display - the actual voltage as measured with GPU-Z shows no difference.

You might get more than 5000 mhz for memory, on my JZ I got 5250 mhz stable for benchmarking and ran it at 5200 most of the time.

The refresh rate is set with a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel. For ChiMei panel you can test 100hz - AUO runs stable at 70hz max. I would disable Voltage/Refresh options in settings, you don't need them.

XTU is next for multi's, I also put those in a previous post in this thread. :)

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Well I got a vintage driver, made no difference, so I will stick with the settings I currently have input in Tweak, I will do the CPU now, and see what happens when I run Heaven again :)

I will try to increase from 5000 slowly, see if I can get more on a stable clock, if not I will knock it back to what it runs stable at :)

Keep watchin, CPU now lol

Ohhhh btw I have Intel Turbo Boost Technology installed, will this make a difference to the CPU Tweaking??

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 12:31 PM

Hopefully thats right lol

hmscott
07-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Well I got a vintage driver, made no difference, so I will stick with the settings I currently have input in Tweak, I will do the CPU now, and see what happens when I run Heaven again :)

I will try to increase from 5000 slowly, see if I can get more on a stable clock, if not I will knock it back to what it runs stable at :)

Keep watchin, CPU now lol

Ohhhh btw I have Intel Turbo Boost Technology installed, will this make a difference to the CPU Tweaking??

Pepperami, I would go with 337.88 + Asus Tweak Tool for now, and then when you are comfortable with that, jump to 340.43 + MSI Afterburner + GPU-Z - or maybe soon we will get a new Nvidia driver WHQL or Beta that will work again with Asus Tweak Tool.

Don't forget to do a Custom/Clean install of the new Nvidia driver, especially now that you installed a vintage Nvidia driver.

The nice thing about GPU OC memory is that you will see it getting bad before a display driver crash - you will see sparklies or tearing or zipping lines in the graphics. Look for it, and drop the memory clock back down.

Intel Turbo Boost is the little computer graphic with the bouncing bars when turbo kicks in? It doesn't do anything else... link?

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Ohhhh not sure whether I should have benchmarked it got a bit warm!!!

Here are a couple of pics, settings, benchmark and Intel boost this is what it shows me on the desktop

hmscott
07-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Ohhhh not sure whether I should have benchmarked it got a bit warm!!!
Here are a couple of pics, settings, benchmark and Intel boost this is what it shows me on the desktop

Pepperami, which XTU version did you download and install?

I am running 4.4.0.4, and some had problems with that one, JX's were having temperature issues (throttling too), so try 4.​3.​0.11. Sorry, forgot about all that, it was a few months ago.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+uti lity%22%22

The Intel Boost thingee isn't doing anything except displaying the turbo transition - it isn't actually doing the turbo - that is built into the CPU.

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 12:51 PM
ahh ok so I can remove that damm widget then lol

Ok I will get 4.3.0.11 now :)

hmscott
07-07-2014, 12:53 PM
ahh ok so I can remove that damm widget then lol
Ok I will get 4.3.0.11 now :)

Also, looking at your image, where you set the multi's, the Apply button is still Yellow in color, that means you changed the control panel settings, but didn't actually apply the new settings to the CPU... and, you need to then Save it as a named Profile to recall the settings and allow setting those settings at boot time.

Since you are seeing high temps during the stress test, also set -50mV for Dynamic CPU Voltage offset and CPU Cache Voltage Offset, and Apply / Save to a Profile. That will reduce temps. You should be ok at -50mV, and probably up to -125mV - but play with that later.

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Ok here is a screenie, I have not set the ones in yellow yet as I want to post a pic first to make sure these are the right ones and the right values

Before I did this, I re-ran the stress test with the new (old) version, and the temps were 95-97 so it did not make a difference, but once you confirm these settings are correct I will try again :)

hmscott
07-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Ok here is a screenie, I have not set the ones in yellow yet as I want to post a pic first to make sure these are the right ones and the right values
Before I did this, I re-ran the stress test with the new (old) version, and the temps were 95-97 so it did not make a difference, but once you confirm these settings are correct I will try again :)

Pepperami, that all looks good. Here are mine for reference.

Hopefully your temp will go down with the undervolting...

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 01:33 PM
mhhh made no difference 96 again on temps

hmscott
07-07-2014, 01:39 PM
mhhh made no difference 96 again on temps

Pepperami, on these tests temperature is pretty stable, and you were at 98c, now at 96c, and that is with adding the OC. If you put the multi's back to stock, and kept the -50mV undervolt, it will be yet lower, you could try that :)

What kind of surface is the laptop resting on? Is there enough clearance under the laptop center, where the intake vents are located, to let in plenty of cool air for cooling? If the vents are blocked, the CPU/GPU temps go up...

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 01:40 PM
ok brb

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 01:47 PM
lol

temps went up to 98 and the lowest was 76 it flickered mainly around 96 97 then down to 83 then back up again, throttling was up and down as well but as I dont really know much about this I have no clue as to whats normal

hmscott
07-07-2014, 01:53 PM
lol
temps went up to 98 and the lowest was 76 it flickered mainly around 96 97 then down to 83 then back up again, throttling was up and down as well but as I dont really know much about this I have no clue as to whats normal

Pepperami, well, that's too bad. Those temps are too high, you should be in the low 90's at the most. Is it really hot there? What is the room temp?

Is the bottom vent clear and getting air ok?

That score is low too, which tells me that the CPU is thermal throttling too - which means you are losing performance.

You could use hwinfo64, run that while doing benchmarks (not just XTU), and watch for hwinfo64 to catch throttling - it will show in the high/current/low columns - for each Core.

If you are getting CPU thermal throttling you should consider returning it for another one... the JW/JX/JH are all better on CPU temps than the new JM/JS/JZ, so yours is on the high end of temps - and you can do better.

How long have you had it? Hopefully they will have stock to swap you another new JX.

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 02:39 PM
its 22 in the room I am running it in, and its sat on a worktop bench, no obstructions whatsoever

Its 8 months old, and so still in warranty, so I could if needed return it for another, but I am unsure as to what reason I would give for returning it, the other gripe I have as such is the screen, sometimes if I look at it for what I am looking for, I can see the millions of tiny dots, sometimes looks pixelated, and of course now this, a little disappointing for something costing so much :(

I have downloaded hwininfo64 so if you could give me a heads up on what to do, so I can generate a report for you to look at it would be appreciated

Pepperami
07-07-2014, 02:45 PM
On the throttling whilst running the benchmark in XTU I notice two main things, the clocks on the top right, the ratio 34 for instance on the top one goes down to 29 then back up again, the XTU screen shows CPU throttling around 35 and 4 cores, then drops down then back up again, when it drops it had 18 and 12 as lows with cores showing as two, lowest was 6 with one core, then back up to 34-35

hmscott
07-07-2014, 02:46 PM
its 22 in the room I am running it in, and its sat on a worktop bench, no obstructions whatsoever
Its 8 months old, and so still in warranty, so I could if needed return it for another, but I am unsure as to what reason I would give for returning it, the other gripe I have as such is the screen, sometimes if I look at it for what I am looking for, I can see the millions of tiny dots, sometimes looks pixelated, and of course now this, a little disappointing for something costing so much :(
I have downloaded hwininfo64 so if you could give me a heads up on what to do, so I can generate a report for you to look at it would be appreciated

Pepperami, ah, yeah, not so much return as send in for RMA repair - you would send it in to get the CPU cooling fixed/repaired - it might be paste, but it might be a misaligned/attached component.

Here is a screenshot of hwinfo64, showing the 4 lines of Thermal Throttling, one line for each core, all No in this shot. You would do a game or benchmark, or what ever the least intrusive test to trigger the thermal throttling - you don't want to drop prime95 on it - I think that would be too much for it to handle in it's current thermal state.

Then file a Technical Inquiry with Asus, attaching all your screenshots in a zip file, explaining how you noticed the CPU temp is too high and also the thermal throttling. I wouldn't go so far as to mention the XTU test, and set everything back to stock multi's and voltage for these tests.

https://vip.asus.com <== register a login here, register the laptop, and file the Technical Inquiry.

As High as your temps are, it shouldn't take much to push it into thermal throttling for the screenshot.

Let us know how it works out.

Pepperami
07-08-2014, 07:47 AM
ok there is definietly a serious problem!

I removed all the tweaks and overclock stuff, so its completely back to normal, and started just to run FOLDING@HOME which is what I use at home all the time

the fans kicked in after about 5 seconds, so I stopped it and installed CORETEMP and restarted F@H and here is the result!!!

as you can see within a few seconds there up in the 90 range, and this program I use at home whilst I am not there, and it never ever gets the CPU that hot, I think its around 60 at home, and thats not even an i7!!

So, what do you think? RMA it?

hmscott
07-08-2014, 08:20 AM
ok there is definietly a serious problem!
I removed all the tweaks and overclock stuff, so its completely back to normal, and started just to run FOLDING@HOME which is what I use at home all the time
the fans kicked in after about 5 seconds, so I stopped it and installed CORETEMP and restarted F@H and here is the result!!!
as you can see within a few seconds there up in the 90 range, and this program I use at home whilst I am not there, and it never ever gets the CPU that hot, I think its around 60 at home, and thats not even an i7!!
So, what do you think? RMA it?

Pepperami, yup, and quickly, so you can turn it around again if Asus doesn't fix it the first time to your liking - you only have a few months of warranty left... be sure and ask them to document what they changed / fixed to get the temps down.

It would help to show them that the CPU Cores are Thermal throttling too, hwinfo64 - Start in Sensors only mode - shows that info nicely for each core.

Good thing you caught this now :)

Let us know how Asus treats you, and if they got it fixed.

Here are my G750JH temps running FAH, 7 threads + GPU:

Pepperami
07-08-2014, 08:46 AM
yeah see yours is a lot lower!

I have filled in the RMA so now awaiting conformation of collection, I will of course keep you informed, and very very much appreciate your help :)

Pepperami
07-08-2014, 11:01 AM
very quick response from Asus with my RMA Number and a promise of collection within 48 hours so, so far so good

I have just had to use WINZIP to zip up some stuff, and even using Winzip causes the fans to come on, so its gone wrong somewhere lol

hmscott
07-08-2014, 02:29 PM
very quick response from Asus with my RMA Number and a promise of collection within 48 hours so, so far so good

I have just had to use WINZIP to zip up some stuff, and even using Winzip causes the fans to come on, so its gone wrong somewhere lol

Pepperami, cool, hopefully Asus will be able to turn around the fix for you quickly.

To keep your personal data safe, it might be a good idea to do a Backtracker Recovery restore, or restore from the built in partition recovery, F9 at boot before shipping to Asus for repair. :)