PDA

View Full Version : Are G750 laptops indeed LAPtops?

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 11:18 PM
So I was thinking... yea sure these models are a bit heavier than your ordinary notebook, but hey, you get power that regular notebooks can't even dream of.
And to keep it unlike ordinary notebooks I think the G750 can be used on your lap, or am I wrong? As far as I can see using it on my lap or on a lets say JUST FOR EXAMPLE I AM NOT GOING TO*** pillow. As long as you can keep the back vents clear there is no problem, am I right or am I right?

tru.kirby
07-03-2014, 11:23 PM
I use mine on my lap regularly with no issue, just wouldn't wanna carry it to work or uni daily. 5kg on your back or shoulders gets old quick.

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Yea if you walk long distances with it on your back no doubt about that. But it can be used even for gaming on your lap or in bed, can't it?

tru.kirby
07-03-2014, 11:45 PM
I use mine on my lap regularly with no issue... :) You'll be fine.

Darnassus
07-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Absolutely. The majority of the air intake is through the top of the laptop. ( Behind the screen hinge ) and it goes directly down into the GPU / CPU.

hmscott
07-04-2014, 02:30 AM
So I was thinking... yea sure these models are a bit heavier than your ordinary notebook, but hey, you get power that regular notebooks can't even dream of.
And to keep it unlike ordinary notebooks I think the G750 can be used on your lap, or am I wrong? As far as I can see using it on my lap or on a lets say JUST FOR EXAMPLE I AM NOT GOING TO*** pillow. As long as you can keep the back vents clear there is no problem, am I right or am I right?

dne0gen, on the G750 the top is sealed, and the vents are on the bottom, which are used as the air intakes, so you want to keep those underside vents clear - a pillow, bed comforter, and even a lap can obstruct the air intake vents.

When I benchmark, my temps are a lot lower when I lift up the front of G750JH a couple of inches to open up the under side front vent air intake areas.

My Furmark 15 min burn-in test runs at 93c with the vents obscured and 84c with the front underside vents lifted up in the clear.

Someone long ago did a smoke path test, blew smoke into the vents / top of the G750, and no air was being drawn in at the top, all the air draw was from the bottom vents. Sorry, it took me a while to find it again...

G750JX. How does it cool? Where does the air come from?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?42197-G750JX.-How-does-it-cool-Where-does-the-air-come-from&p=359536&viewfull=1#post359536

His inspiration was this video, starting at 00:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe-2ZqmSGug

So, don't block the bottom vents, elevate the laptop to increase air flow into them. :)

dblkk
07-04-2014, 04:31 AM
What I found with the g750 which was awesome and fits right into this topic. The vents on the bottom of the laptop aren't really all over the place. And seeing the battery pack in is the very middle of the back, and then the extreme right/left sides of the bottom are also lower a bit and vents are around there. Well my skinny legs fit perfect in the gap between the bulge of battery pack, and bulge of the cooling/vents on extreme right/left side. So I could game with laptop fit perfectly on my lap. Not covering any vent or anything. After 30 min or so, the left side of left leg and right side of right leg would get a little warm while gaming, but not untolerable. But best part is I could sit on couch or where ever, read my emails reviews what have you with lpaotp right on my lap.
I now have the msi g70, and the whole bottom is air vents. Needed to actually use a laptop cooler just to keep the vents clear and not being blocked..

One awesome thing, amoungst others, that I found on the asus vs any other laptop.

Maxter
07-04-2014, 04:51 AM
The G750s are 100% LAPtops

Darnassus
07-04-2014, 09:23 AM
dne0gen, on the G750 the top is sealed, and the vents are on the bottom, which are used as the air intakes, so you want to keep those underside vents clear - a pillow, bed comforter, and even a lap can obstruct the air intake vents.

When I benchmark, my temps are a lot lower when I lift up the front of G750JH a couple of inches to open up the under side front vent air intake areas.

My Furmark 15 min burn-in test runs at 93c with the vents obscured and 84c with the front underside vents lifted up in the clear.

Someone long ago did a smoke path test, blew smoke into the vents / top of the G750, and no air was being drawn in at the top, all the air draw was from the bottom vents. Sorry, it took me a while to find it again...

G750JX. How does it cool? Where does the air come from?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?42197-G750JX.-How-does-it-cool-Where-does-the-air-come-from&p=359536&viewfull=1#post359536

His inspiration was this video, starting at 00:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe-2ZqmSGug

So, don't block the bottom vents, elevate the laptop to increase air flow into them. :)

What do you mean the top is sealed? The G750 breathes most of it's air behind the screen hinge, directly down into the centrifugal fan module! >xc

dne0gen
07-04-2014, 11:58 AM
We need to get this straight

hmscott
07-04-2014, 12:28 PM
We need to get this straight

dne0gen, you can test it for yourself. Run a benchmark, something longer than a few minutes, with the bottom vents open and free to pull in air, then run it again with the vents blocked, and look at the temperature change.

When I run furmark 15min with the bottom vents obscured the 780m GPU temps hit 93c, when I run with the front of the laptop lifted up a couple of inches to increase airflow to the vents, the 780m GPU temp was 85c.

You don't want to block the vents on the bottom of the G750, it will raise the GPU temps :)

Obscured bottom vents - GPU temp 93c

Front of laptop lift 2 inches to open up airflow to the bottom vents - GPU temp 85c

Darnassus
07-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Remove the speaker box and look for yourself. You can even see the heat sink's copper bar. :'c

hmscott
07-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Remove the speaker box and look for yourself. You can even see the heat sink's copper bar. :'c

Darnassus, the heatsink copper bar isn't drawing in air, that is an attachment point, well past the air intake.

Try blocking the area you think is an air intake and see if there is an effect on the CPU/GPU temperature during a long benchmark / stress test.

dne0gen
07-05-2014, 12:54 AM
the tn panel are the best available on a laptop, imo, idk lol but seriously when you adjust the screen angle right should be no problem at all
I don't get it? If the vents on the bottom have to be free what does the screen angle have to do with anything?

dne0gen
07-05-2014, 02:22 PM
I understood your explanation fully. I am asking the other dude who wrote about the screen angle.

dblkk
07-05-2014, 05:39 PM
I think he might think that the underpart of the screen is the intake, but those are speakers. The intake is indeed in the bottom, as hmscott says, as well as in the back by the exhaust it will also intake air. But main air is from the bottom slots, the reason the back 'exhuast' also intakes air is that a fan spins, as it spins to exhaust air, it also sucks air in.

Darnassus
07-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Sucks air through both spots.. ;c

dblkk
07-05-2014, 07:22 PM
due to fans being sideways not vertical, its bound to suck in air while blowing. I'm sure this was in Asus engineers minds, but the designed and main intake is meant to be pulled from the bottom open vents, which also moves the air across all other components(like ssd/hhd/ram/ect) as well as feeding it through the fans which then force it through the heatsinks in which the copper lines are attached to.

gammite
07-07-2014, 11:41 PM
i have been using laptops for over 20 years and i can count on one hand the amount of times i have needed to use a laptop on my lap for any appreciable amount of time.

dblkk
07-08-2014, 12:32 AM
Been using my laptop on my lap all day. Sitting on the couch, no farther than 5 ft from my pc, but couch is so much more comfortable. Plus I can see tv from my couch, not my computer.

dne0gen
07-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Yea I was thinking on gaming while im on the couch but I'm not sure how that will go down

dblkk
07-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Yea I was thinking on gaming while im on the couch but I'm not sure how that will go down

Yes, I have dont that for hours. Your legs will fit nice in the little notches of the laptop as well. But i will say that after 30 min or so, your left/right knee might start to get warm. If you do, or if this is a concern. Pick up like a cheap $20 'cooling pad' from best buy, ect. You dont need a good fan or top end one, just something to keep the laptop up and off your lap.

But otherwise, like i said, ive done it for hours. Just reposition a little bit every 30 min or so, your knee areas might feel a bit warm, but it was no where near bad enough to stop me from gaming, or set it on my living room table which was like a whopping 5 feet away, in which i couldve also just pulled closer even.