PDA

View Full Version : G750 Running Hotter than usual

Torpedo499
07-06-2014, 04:04 AM
I've been posting many threads regarding temperature, mostly because my G750 has been running a bit warmer than usual.

I don't see what the problem is, I keep it clean, spray the back vents/intake with air, and try to keep dust off my desk, but I am seeing a slight temperature increase. It is summer, but I've ordered fans to keep my room cool, and it's 63F outside right now, and I'm seeing my temperatures on the CPU and MOBO 2C higher than when it was 72C outside. There are no new processes running that are hogging the CPU also.

I'm not sure what the problem may be, any ideas/ways to keep computer cool without purchasing items or taking computer apart? Thanks.

hmscott
07-06-2014, 04:17 AM
I've been posting many threads regarding temperature, mostly because my G750 has been running a bit warmer than usual.

I don't see what the problem is, I keep it clean, spray the back vents/intake with air, and try to keep dust off my desk, but I am seeing a slight temperature increase. It is summer, but I've ordered fans to keep my room cool, and it's 63F outside right now, and I'm seeing my temperatures on the CPU and MOBO 2C higher than when it was 72C outside. There are no new processes running that are hogging the CPU also.

I'm not sure what the problem may be, any ideas/ways to keep computer cool without purchasing items or taking computer apart? Thanks.

Torpedo499, how do you have the desk/laptop oriented, like is the desk against a wall, is the G750?? exhaust facing out away from the wall/corner so heat doesn't collect on the desk area and move forward into the intake area?

Heat retention of objects - walls, furniture, ground, etc during the summer goes up - even if the ambient air temp drops conduction of heat from the desk can increase temps too - insulating the G750 by raising it up off the desk helps.

Humidity can also affect the temperature. Other devices putting out heat that have changed - a new monitor, disk drive enclosures, etc on the desk can make a difference.

I find I need to raise the laptop up to increase the airflow into the intake during the summer, you could try putting feet under the 4 corners, or just tilting the front of the G750 up to give the vents on the bottom middle more room to draw air.

There are other settings that can increase the heat generated by the CPU, additional processing is the usual - as you install more software and more services run in the background the average temperature goes up.

Do you use XTU to apply a negative voltage offset to reduce the heat generated? -25mV is safe value to start, on up through -125mV for the Dynamic Voltage Offset and the CPU Cache Voltage Offset.

Usually for the first year or so CPU temps drop as paste and heatsink settle, and if it does go up it doesn't start going up till about 1.5-2 years. Most of the time I never have to re-paste a CPU heatsink - not for a long time - new pastes are great and don't seem to age badly - dry out - like the old stuff.

Torpedo499
07-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Torpedo499, how do you have the desk/laptop oriented, like is the desk against a wall, is the G750?? exhaust facing out away from the wall/corner so heat doesn't collect on the desk area and move forward into the intake area?

Usually for the first year or so CPU temps drop as paste and heatsink settle, and it doesn't start going up till about 1.5-2 years.

My laptop is facing a wall, but it's over 10 inches away from it, and I've had my laptop since November 2013, so temps shouldn't be rising, but it really worries me that I have to eventually repaste the CPU/GPU, know a reliable company that can eventually do it for me? Thanks!

hmscott
07-06-2014, 04:55 AM
My laptop is facing a wall, but it's over 10 inches away from it, and I've had my laptop since November 2013, so temps shouldn't be rising, but it really worries me that I have to eventually repaste the CPU/GPU, know a reliable company that can eventually do it for me? Thanks!

Torpedo499, you probably don't have to eventually re-paste, I never have had to re-paste a laptop, even after 7 years. The temps may go up - often they don't - but not enough to keep things from working. No need to even think about it, ever :)

10 inches away from the wall isn't even the distance from the front to back of the laptop, it is too close. When you are gaming and the GPU/CPU fans are blowing close to full force it is a sizable volume of air being expelled out the back, and if the desk is pushed up against the wall the heat has no where to go except pile up behind the laptop and start moving forward toward you and the laptop air intake vents under the middle of the G750.

Try putting the laptop on an angle facing the exhaust ports out into free space next to the desk, move the laptop to the other side of the desk if the free space is there. If the desk is up against a corner, and the G750 exhaust vents are facing that corner, that is the worst.

Torpedo499
07-06-2014, 05:04 AM
10 inches away from the wall isn't even the distance from the front to back of the laptop, it is too close. When you are gaming and the GPU/CPU fans are blowing close to full force it is a sizable volume of air being expelled out the back, and if the desk is pushed up against the wall the heat has no where to go except pile up behind the laptop and start moving forward toward you and the laptop air intake vents under the middle of the G750.

I actually think my fans aren't blowing as much as they should, the most air is coming out of the middle and the side close to the battery, the side further away from the battery has VERY little air coming out of it, is there something wrong?

hmscott
07-06-2014, 05:11 AM
I actually think my fans aren't blowing as much as they should, the most air is coming out of the middle and the side close to the battery, the side further away from the battery has VERY little air coming out of it, is there something wrong?

The exhaust vents for the G750 are on the edges, right and left, in the back of the laptop, there isn't anything that can exhaust air in the middle :)

If you have it as close as you do to the wall, at the right distance, you could be creating a bounce back from the wall to the laptop that is creating an eddy of air movement in the middle behind the laptop, with enough force it could come back under the laptop toward you - and you would feel it out the front.

Try moving the laptop into an area of free space, start a stress test/benchmark for CPU/GPU and see that without a wall for the exhaust to reflect off of, the air movement is only on the ends, at the exhaust points.

Torpedo499
07-06-2014, 05:16 AM
The exhaust vents for the G750 are on the edges, right and left, there isn't anything that can exhaust air in the middle :)

I mean in the middle of the vents, their is the most airflow, of the left side of the CPU vent, the side away from the battery, their is very little airflow.

hmscott
07-06-2014, 05:28 AM
I mean in the middle of the vents, their is the most airflow, of the left side of the CPU vent, the side away from the battery, their is very little airflow.

What is the problem then?, that is what is supposed to be happening :)

As the fan speed goes up more air will come out, it might fill the width of the exhaust vent, but it may not.

Look into the vent with a flash light and see if anything is blocking the path - and look further in to the passage leading into the vent area to see the fan output - it is much smaller than the width of the vent. The vent is wide to reduce the back pressure for the fan output - and to disperse the air reducing the noise from the fan / air vented, and to look cool :)

xdon82
07-06-2014, 08:05 AM
the most simply way to clean fan from dust [not ideal but simple and can help] is to blow into vent area wiith full force ..as much as you can many times ...but do not spit there, then use your vacuum cleaner - put the pipe on the grid and hold for a few seconds :P If you have installed GPU Tweak, then uninstall it

Torpedo499
07-06-2014, 06:45 PM
the most simply way to clean fan from dust [not ideal but simple and can help] is to blow into vent area wiith full force ..as much as you can many times

I've cleaned it many times before, but my G750 seems to not be keeping itself as cool as before, its also taking longer to cool down after playing games.