PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JM is a nightmare

Asus-G750
07-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Good day everyone,

I have to admit that buying this laptop was a huge mistake.

To begin with, its screen is the BIGGEST crap I have ever seen. While sitting half a meter away from the screen I can still see single pixels, and god, the vertical lines are killing me.

I never thought that after buying a laptop that expensive something like this could happen. I went to a shop to compare the screen with other laptops, and it was the worst one I saw. Laptops which were half the price of Asus G750 had much better screens. The only one which had a screen this bad was a really cheap laptop ($240) with ubuntu on it...

Secondly, the hiss in the headphones jack is unacceptable. Really. Screen and headphones are the two things you use all the time. The screen makes you dizzy, and headphones hiss gives you a headache. How come you people keep on saying it's a great laptop? Buying it was a huge mistake.

And it is NOT silent. One of the ventilators keeps on working all the time, even if I don't do a thing (CPU at 0-1%). In addition to that I often get a high pitch noise from one of the components (Windows 8.1, newest drivers).

To people considering buying it - PLEASE THINK TWICE. I know it looks great, has great specs, but there are so many problems with it. Screen and sound card are a nightmare, and you use both all the time. To people saying to use USB headphones and external screen - well I didn't pay that much for the laptop to do that.

Ugh. I hope the shop will accept me returning it. Just a huge disappointment. I'll never buy asus again.

dblkk
07-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Well, im sorry to hear you had such a "horrid" experience with your asus.

What model/series did you get?

Did you contact your seller to have them ship you a new one? Im sure if the screen, audio, fans, and 'some other component' inside are all bad, the company you bought it from will send you a new one. Obviously all these problems are due to a faulty laptop, I cant believe that asus made these laptops this way and your the only one not willing to live with them.

Did you try updating the drivers, I know sometimes this is an quick easy fix for both screen and audio.

Did you know that Asus uses the same 17" screens as most gaming laptop venders?

Asus-G750
07-06-2014, 03:07 PM
There's plenty of people complaining online about how bad the screen is. I went to the shop and two other laptops had the same problem. Lines problem on Asus' G750 screen in well described on various forums, I just didn't expect it to be this visible. The resolution for 17" is also not that big after all, though for a 15" laptop it should be sufficient.

Headphones hiss seems to be a pretty common problem as well. There's plenty of people online complaining about it. It does not seem that I just received a "bad copy" when it comes to those two things.

The way the fans work and and a high pitch noise from one of the components could be due to having a faulty laptop, but these are not my biggest problems, really bad screen and sound card are.

It's a G750JM-T4061. I wanted to install extra SSD and RAM myself.

Still, I'm returning it, even though I love the way it looks and how fast it works, I never expected the overall product to be this bad.

theclaw37
07-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Ok, to start off from the beginning:

1) Many people are complaining about the screen. You probably have the Chi-Mei one. I have the Optronics screen and it's perfect (no lines or other stuff). If you had the latter, you would find the screen quite beautiful

2) The Audio is indeed a problem with low-impedance headphones, or so i've heard. Anyway i had some crackling problems with the subwoofer but the 7231 driver mostly fixed everything, so this can be solved with a software update.

3) My 110cm diagonal LCD TV is full HD and it's perfectly fine. How can you complain that 1920x1080 is a low resolution for a 17" screen is beyond me.

4) The laptop is actually pretty quiet. In intense gaming, it makes itself heard VERY lightly, but it's nowhere near annoying. In normal use the laptop is completely silent. Your fan controllers are probably in need of some drivers so they don't just spin blindly. That is almost certainly another software fixable problem.

Asus-G750
07-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Well, your TV is fine because you most likely don't watch it from a distance of ~40-50cm. It's not about the numbers, but about the ratio depending on viewing distance combined with ppi. Comparisons like yours make no sense.

This laptop's screen is not near, e.g. retina display quality. I can see single pixels from the distance of 50cm. It shouldn't be like this, the ppi is too low. Yesterday I was testing asus' laptop with 15" screen and 1080p resolution and it was beautiful. G750 is not near that quality.

It is sort of funny that they give 15 and 17 inch screens the same resolution. It's like they neglect the existance of ppi factor at all and pretend that 1080p is all you need on any display.

BTW - how do I check which screen is in my laptop?

dblkk
07-06-2014, 09:31 PM
The screen should be in your device manager I would guess is the easiest simplest way to find out.

I've went through 4 JM and 2 JS models, and other than cpu heat while several hour long rendering sessions, I never had 1 single fault with screen, fans, headphones or anything. Build quality was always just top notch, every one

dne0gen
07-06-2014, 10:20 PM
It is more likely that you have bought a faulty notebook because if that was not the case every G750 notebook should have the same issues, and that is definitely not the case.. I own the JZ model and it has some minor issues, most of which could and I hope WILL soon be fixed by drivers, but nothing to do with screen and pixels and what have you. Giving the laptop back is a fast decision and I would suggest you try and get it replaced. The laptop is worth the money and since you have already given that amount of cash for the notebook, you might as well try another one. I hope you make the right choice for yourself, but if I was you I would try and replace it first before giving it back or switching to another model.

theclaw37
07-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Well, your TV is fine because you most likely don't watch it from a distance of ~40-50cm. It's not about the numbers, but about the ratio depending on viewing distance combined with ppi. Comparisons like yours make no sense.

This laptop's screen is not near, e.g. retina display quality. I can see single pixels from the distance of 50cm. It shouldn't be like this, the ppi is too low. Yesterday I was testing asus' laptop with 15" screen and 1080p resolution and it was beautiful. G750 is not near that quality.

It is sort of funny that they give 15 and 17 inch screens the same resolution. It's like they neglect the existance of ppi factor at all and pretend that 1080p is all you need on any display.

BTW - how do I check which screen is in my laptop?

Well, yes, the viewing distance of a TV should be much bigger than for a laptop. But the ratio is pretty much the same. The laptop screen occupies about the same area in your field-of-view as a tv when watched properly. PPI is not all there is and as a matter of fact, the pixel-to-eye ratio is much more important.

My opinion is that full hd is perfect for this screen size. Also, a higher res screen is harder to drive by the GPU. I know you can downscale, but why do that when you can just use a res that works perfectly (at least for most people).

P.S: don't buy into the "Retina display" crap that Apple sells. That's just a fancy name for a certain PPI, and nothing more.

Asus-G750
07-06-2014, 11:46 PM
Well, yes, the viewing distance of a TV should be much bigger than for a laptop. But the ratio is pretty much the same. The laptop screen occupies about the same area in your field-of-view as a tv when watched properly. PPI is not all there is and as a matter of fact, the pixel-to-eye ratio is much more important.

That's what I said above, just shorter.

My opinion is that full hd is perfect for this screen size.

It's not. I see pixels from half a meter away.

P.S: don't buy into the "Retina display" crap that Apple sells. That's just a fancy name for a certain PPI, and nothing more.

Be that as it may, their screens are really good; I would love to have one in Asus G750, then I probably wouldn't return it.

LeonardoTan
07-06-2014, 11:52 PM

My opinion is that full hd is perfect for this screen size. Also, a higher res screen is harder to drive by the GPU. I know you can downscale, but why do that when you can just use a res that works perfectly (at least for most people).

not crap man, the screen is awesome, it has high colour accuracy, an IPS! which asus should use! and ssd as boot drive just to simplify the whole ssd change, but most of all I am very happy with the responsive screen, track pad n keyboard, cooling and the look..

LeonardoTan
07-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Good day everyone,

I have to admit that buying this laptop was a huge mistake.

To begin with, its screen is the BIGGEST crap I have ever seen. While sitting half a meter away from the screen I can still see single pixels, and god, the vertical lines are killing me.

I never thought that after buying a laptop that expensive something like this could happen. I went to a shop to compare the screen with other laptops, and it was the worst one I saw. Laptops which were half the price of Asus G750 had much better screens. The only one which had a screen this bad was a really cheap laptop ($240) with ubuntu on it...

Secondly, the hiss in the headphones jack is unacceptable. Really. Screen and headphones are the two things you use all the time. The screen makes you dizzy, and headphones hiss gives you a headache. How come you people keep on saying it's a great laptop? Buying it was a huge mistake.

And it is NOT silent. One of the ventilators keeps on working all the time, even if I don't do a thing (CPU at 0-1%). In addition to that I often get a high pitch noise from one of the components (Windows 8.1, newest drivers).

To people considering buying it - PLEASE THINK TWICE. I know it looks great, has great specs, but there are so many problems with it. Screen and sound card are a nightmare, and you use both all the time. To people saying to use USB headphones and external screen - well I didn't pay that much for the laptop to do that.

Ugh. I hope the shop will accept me returning it. Just a huge disappointment. I'll never buy asus again.

I agree with the crappy sound card, even lenovo y50 has a better speaker, it's jbl man

theclaw37
07-06-2014, 11:59 PM
not crap man, the screen is awesome, it has high colour accuracy, an IPS! which asus should use! and ssd as boot drive just to simplify the whole ssd change, but most of all I am very happy with the responsive screen, track pad n keyboard, cooling and the look..

It's a gaming rig. TN panels have better response time than IPS's. If you want colour accuracy, better viewing angles etc. you should look somewhere else. Maybe an N-series, but definitely not a G-series.

LeonardoTan
07-07-2014, 12:19 AM
It's a gaming rig. TN panels have better response time than IPS's. If you want colour accuracy, better viewing angles etc. you should look somewhere else. Maybe an N-series, but definitely not a G-series.
If you see it that way then yes it's true, and that would be asus defend as well. But it is simply more easier and cheaper to make if you see it on financial aspect.

And by the way you just repeating what I said. And what I want is definitely both viewing angle and response time.

_
07-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Leonardo - please consider the language used when talking to others. Your post about has been removed.

Asus-G750
07-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Well, I'm returning it, if Asus made this laptop with a better screen and decent sound card without hiss noise then I would use it with pleasure. But for this price it's just too much.

And I'm not replacing it for another laptop, read enough complaints about these two things in particular to know that they didn't happen just to me and are a regular quality for G750.

Any advice on what to buy instead?

dne0gen
07-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Like I said, if it was an issue which happens to EVERYONE then EVERYONE would be affected, not just 10 or 20 or 100 people.
Other than that, I couldn't really give you and advice on what else to buy since I myself had a tough time picking the right notebook and after I made my choice I can't really say that anything else would be better. But since you decide what is best for you, I have heard that the MSI gaming notebooks are good, but lack good cooling. Alienware is a good choice, except for the fact that it is way overpriced. These are the brands that come to mind when you think about a gaming notebook. Other than that you could just build your custom PC and (hopefully) be happy with it.
Hope you make the right choice.

Gericop
07-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Honestly, I don't know what's your problem with the screen. I even had the thought that your screen might not be in FHD as you maybe didn't install drivers nor set the resolution to 1920x1080. I just checked from 0.5m and there is no "pixels visible" problem or whatsoever (I have 100%+ eyesight). I think you just saw some hi-res screens and expected that yours would be the same, so now you're disappointed. Note that the availability of your desired panel type and resolution in gaming laptops is less-than-little to none. Also note that IPS panels are way more expensive (and consume more power) than the TN ones used in most of these rigs, so not many of us would buy it if it was even more expensive but build a custom PC.

KoolASUS
07-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Like I said, if it was an issue which happens to EVERYONE then EVERYONE would be affected, not just 10 or 20 or 100 people.
Other than that, I couldn't really give you and advice on what else to buy since I myself had a tough time picking the right notebook and after I made my choice I can't really say that anything else would be better. But since you decide what is best for you, I have heard that the MSI gaming notebooks are good, but lack good cooling. Alienware is a good choice, except for the fact that it is way overpriced. These are the brands that come to mind when you think about a gaming notebook. Other than that you could just build your custom PC and (hopefully) be happy with it.
Hope you make the right choice.

Hi, you're right, the G750 series has a screen issue. What you saw is the "vertical lines issue" of the AUO screens, with stock Nvidia/Asus drivers. (Chi-Mei have horizontal ones and flickering)
The new ones (JZ for example) have a Geforce 8x0M, with newer Nvidia drivers, that's why people don't notice this anymore on those models :
the 33X.XX drivers "correct" the lines BUT replace it with something else : a weird "dithering/checkerboard" effect. (pretty awful if you ask me - but many people do not even see it)

There have been many threads about this, some people say "I see it", some other say "I don't", other say "RMA it". Let's not begin all this again.
personally, I think 100% of the G750 have this, that Asus never cared to acknowledge nor fix it, but that - especially with recent drivers from Nvidia - , most people won't notice this OR will live with it.
What is sure is that absolutely no member here that complained about it, posted an update afterwards saying that it was corrected (by RMA, exchange or something other). What we have seen is members saying "it's gone !!!!!" and then, few posts later, saying "uuuuh.... still there.....".

Asus-G750
07-07-2014, 04:39 PM
I think you just saw some hi-res screens and expected that yours would be the same, so now you're disappointed.

Yes I did, and yes I do see one right now (had to go back to my PC with external screen). In addition to that, the HTC One that I use has 468ppi and I look at it every day, it's beautiful, although I do understand that pixel density of this sort is not available in laptops as there is no such need; however, I really never ever in my life expected that G750, such an expensive, new laptop in 2014 could come with just 127ppi. It's ridiculous.

Note that the availability of your desired panel type and resolution in gaming laptops is less-than-little to none. Also note that IPS panels are way more expensive (and consume more power) than the TN ones used in most of these rigs, so not many of us would buy it if it was even more expensive but build a custom PC.

If it was true then asus wouldn't be starting to advertise the GX500 - new gaming laptop with 4k display (280PPI). Frankly, 280ppi is probably most likely more than enough for a laptop (not even macbook pro has such a huge resolution), but 127 is just way too little.

My best guess would be that G750 has low ppi because Asus managed to put their hands on those screens as they must've been really cheap (no one would ever want to use them in near future as higher ppi is a standard in most notebooks already). Some company wanted to get rid of them, offered good price, and BOOM, we've got crappy ppi. Asus must've saved big money on this.

BTW, here's a link to Asus GX500 --> http://rog.asus.com/324762014/g-series-gaming-laptops/gx500-meet-the-coolest-ultra-thin-15-6-gaming-notebook/

I can bet that the next "G750" will have 4K display and then everyone will say how amazing it is, and plenty of Asus' clients will switch to it and they will all buy the new laptop etc. Sorry, but I just can't agree to being treated like this.

Asus-G750
07-07-2014, 05:20 PM
BUT replace it with something else : a weird "dithering/checkerboard" effect. (pretty awful if you ask me - but many people do not even see it)

Thank you! Eventually someone who is well-acquainted with the problem.

This effect combined with vertical lines on certain colors is exactly what was happening in my laptop. Could not stand it. Especially the, as you called it, "'dithering/checkerboard' effect". I literally couldn't look at the screen. Combined with headphones hiss it makes the laptop unusable to me. Asus has gone too far in not addressing these problems appropriately.

Gericop
07-07-2014, 06:01 PM
The GX500 is not available yet. You cannot compare two products released or will be released with a year (or more) difference. I can announce a notebook with 20 times the performance and everything you can get now, but it won't be released until like 2018.
Anyways, playing in full HD on this laptop is perfect, but you won't play any newer game with nearly 60 FPS or more on a 4K display with that 860M they put in the GX500, so you'll have to change the games' resolution to 1920x1080 (or something similar) to get decent FPS, thus you're back at square one, unless you want to play multiplayer games at 25-30 FPS which is unacceptable for any above-average gamers.

KoolASUS
07-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Thank you! Eventually someone who is well-acquainted with the problem.

This effect combined with vertical lines on certain colors is exactly what was happening in my laptop. Could not stand it. Especially the, as you called it, "'dithering/checkerboard' effect". I literally couldn't look at the screen. Combined with headphones hiss it makes the laptop unusable to me. Asus has gone too far in not addressing these problems appropriately.
Yep. Thanks.

The most amazing thing is that 90% of users never seem to notice this display issue. When I buy a laptop, I want everything to be good or fairly decent. I don't just want a good 3DMark score.

I still have a 486DX2/50 rig (1991) with a CRT 14" monitor; pretty old, but pretty decent image too (even if it's only 1024*768*62Hz) . They could do it more than 20 years ago, at a low price ! So why can't Asus do it now ?(different technology, I know)

Same thing with soundcards : a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Platinum (2001) gives a better sound than these onboard Realtek 24bit 7.1things (why not 32.4 196bit , eh? ) . For my modern desktop, I had to buy a X-Fi Titanium. Every component counts in a computer ; and tech specs aren't certainly everything..... :rolleyes:

too bad Dell has discontinued its XPS laptops series. I never tried Alienware, so far.

Ace0751
07-07-2014, 08:40 PM
A higher screen resolution will result in more power being drawn from the GPU so the new GX laptop is NOT a good purchase for gaming. It uses the 860m card and a very high resolution that equals very bad gaming experience. The new GX will be nice to show off but as for gaming you may have to wait a few years before 4k gaming comes to the laptop.

The retna display shows finger prints quite easily while the G750 display does not so if you want a screen that has a lot of prints then go that route.

The sound on the laptop is not going to be as good as sound from a sound card that's just common sense, so that hissing sound you hear could be from a bad wire on the headphones, something is bad on the board, or you have cheap headphones.

I have the JM series and do see the pixels on the screen but it's not that noticeable to me so I am not complaining about it. Plus this screen is meant to keep the glare off, most of the other screens out there have problems keeping the glare off so they may have a better picture but once the light hits it you will see a nice glare.

Overall it's a give and take situation, the G750 is one of the top laptops out there but also has it's flaws its what you're willing to give up to get what you want in the long run.

Dream
07-07-2014, 10:13 PM
For what it's worth, while the G750 [JX] is not perfect, I've had mine for nearly 1 year and have had a great experience running Windows 7 (never tried 8 on it).

The screen is great. No problems. Have the color calibrated profile installed thanks to a fellow owner on here.

I run drivers direct from Nvidia, fully up to date at the moment. CPU is oc and undervolted. GPU is oc with stock voltage.

I run most games in 1080/60 with the right settings. It emulates most Wii games via Dolphin in 900-1080p.

If I'm not gaming on the computer, I'm constantly churning out video after video for a large YouTube channel I manage.

Overall, I've driven this laptop hard, and it has yet to show the slightest bit of wear.

Happy customer.

Maxter
07-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Obviously not a gamer... A true gamer is happy with this laptop and will modify as needed to optimize looks, sound, and performance, and if there REALLY is a hardware issue, will exchange it. Such a negative person you are... I'm the guy that started with the G1S (1st generation ROG) and has seen the changes through the years into the G750.
BTW, retina display has a resolution that is greater what your eyes can physically and physiologically respond to. You are paying for a higher resolution which you cannot perceive... gg

Asus-G750
07-08-2014, 10:59 PM
Does anyone know when will the new version be coming out? Do they come out yearly or there are no regularities?

It appears that it's asus' new trend to put 4K displays in their laptops, so the next version will probably have decent resolution too. If they manage to fix the screen issue and sound card problem then it would actually seem like a good laptop due to the cooling system combined with laptop's thickness which allows unobstructed flow of air.

Maxter
07-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Asus-G750, you obviously don't understand how resolution works... a 4K resolution on the G750 would look the same to your eyes as a 1080 (and even a 720 if you are 2-3 feet away from the screen).
Here http://www.kybervision.com/Blog/files/AppleRetinaDisplay.html
The first section of this link is a good reference. It explains mathematically your visual resolution and, since you mentioned the retina display earlier, it also compares our visual real-time resolution to the retina display from Apple. Therefore, better resolution doesn't mean better display. I think your issue with these laptops is the display "type" rather than the resolution.
In terms of the sound card problems, update to the latest driver.

Asus-G750
07-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Could you please withdraw yourself from any further comment in this thread. As I understand you are a game enthusiast, and I don't really want to point out the lack of logic in your comments as that would be impolite, but you just start to annoy me.

I've asked a certain question and I'm looking forward to reading opinions of people who know the answer.

Gericop
07-09-2014, 12:17 AM
Sorry Asus-G750 but Maxter is right. You seem like the typical layman who only see numbers and judge by them. Your sound card problem can be fixed by updating the driver. The resolution is more than perfect for gaming as you cannot play any games in 4K due to performance issues. Certainly if you focus on a single pixel on the screen, you can see them, but this rig is intended for gaming purposes and games typically contain fast motion and angle change so you don't look at the pixels individually. If you are not a more-than-casual gamer, this laptop is not for you. If you want to do things that require more color accuracy, buy a laptop or an external 4K x-IPS display that suits the graphics world better.
Back to the screen flickering or whatever (I don't see it anywhere, so I might have a lucky hand), you can find a certain update file on the Asus support site that is fixing this problem. It's not the Nvidia driver that someone said here earlier, it's a different thing.

P.S.: I have a G750JH used mainly for gaming and Android development and I can't have a bad word about the laptop. Everything looks great in full HD with details set to ultra, no flickering, no sound card hissing or whatsoever. Maybe you just received a faulty one and you should try to exchange it.

Asus-G750
07-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Let me say it again: I asked a simple question and just want an answer, that is what forums are for.

I am not interested in reading your personal opinions about the laptop, or in proving anyone that what I said is correct. I do not care if you did or did not understand what I wrote and I do not care if you think I'm wrong. Quit spamming, I want someone to see my question so that I can get the answer, once you all flood the thread with your replies then no one will see it.

Now, can someone please tell me how often this product is upgraded? It appears to be a continuous series.

Gericop
07-09-2014, 12:26 PM
If you talk about the G750 series, you can't say anything for sure about how often it is being upgraded as there is only two "series" available. Last year the JW, JX and JH were released with GeForce 760M, 770M, 780M respectively. This year the JM, JS, JZ with 860M, 870M, 880M. So basically it looks like it is upgraded annually, but maybe they just discontinue this series and start a new one with new specs.

dblkk
07-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Wow, for someone that completely bashes something, didn't quite do 'any' homework on the matter first.

Asus-G750
07-09-2014, 01:13 PM
If you talk about the G750 series, you can't say anything for sure about how often it is being upgraded as there is only two "series" available. Last year the JW, JX and JH were released with GeForce 760M, 770M, 780M respectively. This year the JM, JS, JZ with 860M, 870M, 880M. So basically it looks like it is upgraded annually, but maybe they just discontinue this series and start a new one with new specs.

Great! Thank you for the explanation

broadleaf
07-10-2014, 11:09 AM
I have exactly same issue with vertical lines im returning mine.

broadleaf
07-10-2014, 11:14 AM
There have been many threads about this, some people say "I see it", some other say "I don't", other say "RMA it". Let's not begin all this again.
personally, I think 100% of the G750 have this, that Asus never cared to acknowledge nor fix it, .

Asus never cared to acknowledge nor fix it

Ok seems like im getting refund and buying something else.

l2apsux
01-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Asus never cared to acknowledge nor fix it

Ok seems like im getting refund and buying something else.

this is the case with all their rog not-books from this year and last. Piss poor support and a chat module filled with peoplw who may or may not even own their own pc...