PDA

View Full Version : Doing a clean install of Windows 8/8.1

LeParkour012
07-07-2014, 01:16 PM
So I have a G750JX laptop that comes with Windows 8. I just bought an SSD to replace my HDD (which is the boot drive). I want to reinstall Windows. I know I can just clone my HDD to SSD but I want a fresh clean install. So I found this torrent. It says that it has OEM: DM activation support.

My question now is that can I install Windows 8.1 using that ISO and use my OEM key?
Also will my OEM key work on Windows 8.1 or must I install Windows 8, which my laptop came with?

Please answer asap! Thanks!

On a side note, I lost my recovery partition if that matters. I would post the link to the torrent but I don't know if that's allowed here.

LeParkour012
07-07-2014, 03:17 PM
I guess no one have the answer :/

Maxter
07-07-2014, 05:01 PM
You need to make sure that the Win8.1 file you have matches to the one your key within your MoBo. In this forum, there was someone that posted all the links to all safe ISO's for all different Win8/8.1 options. Search for it.
In terms of the recovery partition, the answer is also in the forums. There are several ways to recover. Check it out.

gazzacbr
07-08-2014, 09:05 AM
I guess no one have the answer :/
Please remember this is not Asus Support. We all do this in our own time for free.
Sarcastic comments after only 2 hours will not help you get an answer.

As Maxter says, links are around but anything OEM pre-activeted or cracked will be no use.
Whatever, you need to make sure that the version you get is SL - single language.
I installed a version 8 like this and my key was picked up automatically.
Then I updated to 8.1 without problems (and without the bloat) as thats what my laptop came with.
Not sure if a 8.1 SL will do the same. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Darnassus
07-08-2014, 09:20 AM
You need to make sure that the Win8.1 file you have matches to the one your key within your MoBo. In this forum, there was someone that posted all the links to all safe ISO's for all different Win8/8.1 options. Search for it.
In terms of the recovery partition, the answer is also in the forums. There are several ways to recover. Check it out.

FINALLY A POST THE INFORMATION IVE BEEN AFT-.... aaaah...

My search continues..

Darnassus
07-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Please remember this is not Asus Support. We all do this in our own time for free.
Sarcastic comments after only 2 hours will not help you get an answer.

As Maxter says, links are around but anything OEM pre-activeted or cracked will be no use.
Whatever, you need to make sure that the version you get is SL - single licence.
I installed a version 8 like this and my key was picked up automatically.
Then I updated to 8.1 without problems (and without the bloat) as thats what my laptop came with.
Not sure if a 8.1 SL will do the same. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Single License or Single Language..?

gazzacbr
07-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Single License or Single Language..?
doh, you are right, ive just corrected it. but it is called Windows 8 SL and thats the one you need.
then you will get an easy ride installing.
otherwise, there are instructions for recovering the number from your bios on the forum somewhere (using rweverything)
its very easy.
but still waiting for someone to confirm that a) you can even get a windows 8.1 SL and b) that it would work automatically.
as i said before, i have only installed windows 8 SL then upgraded to 8.1 and that was easy and automatic.

also, check if your laptop came with Core (basic) version (most do) or Pro.
if your laptop has a sticker on the bottom that just says 'Windows 8' you have the Core version.

Darnassus
07-08-2014, 10:04 AM
I have the core, yes. OP would too.

HiVizMan
07-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Why not simply clone your hard drive and then copy that clone over to the SSD.

Swap them and done deal. I use Reflect http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Darnassus
07-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Why not simply clone your hard drive and then copy that clone over to the SSD.

Swap them and done deal. I use Reflect http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Because we want to know how to make a fresh install with a disc we can make.

Obviously this can't be done or is just too complicated.

All we want is a post that tells us what ISO to use, how to extract our windows key, and how to install it.

I mean like.. if something severely screws up on our system when we have backups.. I'd rather re-install Windows, than having to RMA my machine for a year..