PDA

View Full Version : Memory constraints on Haswell processors mentioned on Intel's website

ShagraX
07-07-2014, 07:40 PM
http://ark.intel.com/products/75116/Intel-Core-i7-4700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

Here on this page, under memory specifications, it is stated that
"# of Memory Channels 2"

Does it mean that only two of the ram slots are actually operational with haswell processors? or what ?

Also what does it mean that "haswell processors have native support for dual-channel" . What is dual channel exactly? I have a rog g750jh-db71 and as you know, I have 24 gb rams and I'm considering to upgrade my ram to 32 gb by adding 1 more 8gb ram module

Thanks in advance

Ace0751
07-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Memory sticks like to work in pairs and that's where you get the best performance. A single pair is one channel two pairs is two channels aka dual channel. The JH has 3 8GB sticks but it's not dual channel since your last slot is not occupied. once you get another 8GB stick it will be dual channel since all 4 slots will be occupied. But before buying that stick, check to see who the manufacturer is on the memory stick. These laptops have a couple different manufacturers, or if you want to void the warranty and replace all of the sticks you can get sticks you can trust. I have the JM so I had 2 free slots and I bought some corsair vengance sticks cause I did not feel like taking everything apart and so far have not had any problems with them so that could be another way to do it. Take the one 8GB stick out and put in 2 8gb sticks of your choice.

Please see this thread
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!&country=&status=

ShagraX
07-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Should all the sticks be exactly the same model ?

Or should 2 of them are same as each other and the other two is same as each other?

I opened the single screw on the back of the laptop and saw the model of the ram and I have found the exact same stick, should I care to check the models of the other 2 sticks that are just beneath the keyboard?

Phantzm
07-08-2014, 07:38 PM
If it's factory installed it will all be the same manufacturer so ordering one of the same is the best option to not have issues. If you match them then everything will be golden , if you mix them then your opening yourself up to possible issues down the road.

Maxter
07-08-2014, 07:44 PM
I would go with same model (like when doing a RAID1 with 2 HD's). Even though, it should work anyways. The most important thing, however is the voltage... Don't worry about the ones under keyboard. There is a sticky post that talks about the best memories (all very discussed already - check it out!)

Ace0751
07-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Ah yes forgot to mention that. But if you found the same matching stick then you should be ok. The new processors only support DDR3L 1.35v, anything higher may damage the laptop.