PDA

View Full Version : How to go back to Windows OEM? I also have BIOS/UEFI Problems

LeParkour012
07-08-2014, 04:54 AM
First of all, let me say that I'm new to this and I've regret what I have done. Please help.

I played around with my BIOS and disabled Secure boot and fast boot while enabling Launch CSM and PXE opROM. I then installed a pirated copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and it works fine. But the problem is I regret it.

How do I get back to Windows OEM? [SOLVED]

I want to go back to Windows OEM. My laptop came with Windows 8. I have lost Asus recovery partition. So how do I do it?I found this torrent (it needs an valid key/OEM key to be used) and it doesn't work on Single Language. How do I know if my laptop is Single Language since I'm on the pirated copy of Windows? Here's the link to the torrent: http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8522760/Windows_8_NON-PRO_OEM_64_Bit_For_System_Builders_-_Judas

BIOS/UEFI Problem [SOLVED]

I'm still on the pirated copy of Windows 8.1 Pro. I went back to BIOS after installing Windows 8.1 Pro to reset everything to default. So that means i'll be disabling Launch CSM, PXE opROM and enabling Secure boot and Fast boot. Problem is, if I were to disable Launch CSM, PXE opROM and were to enable Secure boot, my boot options will be missing. However if I were to leave it alone, I lose the option to boot into UEFI/BIOS from Windows [Shift + Restart]. Might the pirated Windows be causing this problem? If I were to reinstall OEM, will I be able to go back and reset my bios?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you guys can help me. Thanks.

Thanks to hmscott for helping me!

MeanMachine
07-08-2014, 05:09 AM
Pirated copies are not to be supported.
Wipe your drive, Install a Genuine version and then seek help.

LeParkour012
07-08-2014, 05:12 AM
This is not about the pirated copy. I'm trying to get back to the genuine copy. So that's why I'm asking for help.

hmscott
07-08-2014, 05:13 AM
LeParkour012, sorry to hear that, I guess you missed the posts about making sure the first thing you do when you get your G750 is to create an Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 Flash boot recovery. That would have saved you.

To Everyone Who hasn't done it yet ==>> Get a fast 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive, and create a Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 Flash boot recovery drive. Keep it in the laptop box, and don't reuse it :)

That way when you can't resist the temptation to erase your boot drive and do it all from scratch, you will be able to wake up the next day and recover using the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 flash recovery drive :)

There is nothing you can do except RMA the laptop to Asus to have them reload the OS on the drive. Or, go to a retailer with a 16GB USB 3.0 drive and ask nicely to create it on their demo G750 - or ask to open the box of a G750 that is the same model you have. Or, find a friend with the same model G750 and create it there - it won't backup anything other than the recovery drive, no personal data gets backed up.

You could also return the laptop, and get another one, along with a 16GB USB 3.0 drive, and the first thing you do is to plug in the G750 and create the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 flash recovery drive.

I have been watching people talking about Windows 8.1 clean installs like it is something special, but really it isn't.

There are no performance benefits, and it forces you to spend loads of time finding and downloading all the stuff Asus configured the OEM config with, to make it work nicely, and at the end all you end up with is the exact same thing, minus the Cool ROG Branding :)

Instead, you can do a fast recovery restore from the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 flash recovery drive to your boot drive, and uninstall all the Asus stuff you don't want.

I uninstall Asus Splendid, Asus Power4Gear, Asus Gaming Mouse, Asus Vibe, AsusDVD (I have Cyberlink of my own), Asus Live Update, and that takes about 5 minutes, and I am done. :)

Hang in there LeParkour012, if you can't find a place to create the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 flash recovery drive, you can survive on a Microsoft Windows Clean install too, just put in the time to get everything found and installed :)

Please do the world a favor, and don't turn your disappointment into a long running crusade to trick people into doing Windows Clean Installs on their G750's, deleting their recovery partitions, plunging them into the depths of despair they suffer... don't laugh - misery loves company. There are a couple of guys that cruise on here doing just that - from many usernames...

I hope they stop.

LeParkour012, don't forget to go into the BIOS and Set Defaults, and power cycle, before doing the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 flash recovery installation :)

LeParkour012
07-08-2014, 05:26 AM
Can't someone who have done the Asus Backtracker thing send my a copy of theirs on the internet? Or is it just plain impossible?

hmscott
07-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Can't someone who have done the Asus Backtracker thing send my a copy of theirs on the internet? Or is it just plain impossible?

LeParkour012, it would need to be the same model G750, what model laptop do you have?

It would be easiest to swap a physical device, trying to get someone to create an image that can be turned into a bootable flash drive might be beyond many people, and a lot to ask.

I don't know why Asus doesn't provide a read only flash drive in the box, all ready for this eventuality - you aren't the first - and certainly not the last that will find themselves high and dry without recovery media.

Even better, build in a read only flash drive into the G750 - instead of a deletable partition on the main disk drive - it was a bad idea fron the first time HP did it. HP would send you a recovery DVD if you accidentally deleted the recovery partition. I don't know what they do now..

LeParkour012
07-08-2014, 05:42 AM
My model is G750JX. Sorry if I'm being annoying or anything but can't we just copy what's in the USB into a zip file, send it to me and I just copy it back to another USB drive?

hmscott
07-08-2014, 05:49 AM
My model is G750JX. Sorry if I'm being annoying or anything but can't we just copy what's in the USB into a zip file, send it to me and I just copy it back to another USB drive?

LeParkour012, I can't help you, I don't have a JX any longer, maybe someone else will spend the time to do it?

Of course then they would be posting and exchanging copyrighted Microsoft / Asus OS software on the internet, without legal permission, and likely lose their account here... and risk other penalties.

So probably not. :)

LeParkour012
07-08-2014, 06:37 AM
Well this is disappointing... How about my BIOS problem?

hmscott
07-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Well this is disappointing... How about my BIOS problem?

Your boot disk needs to be GPT formatted.

UEFI is complicated, but going to BIOS defaults, starting with a boot drive already formatted as GPT, or converting the drive you have are choices.

Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn336946.aspx

More info

Windows and GPT FAQ
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

The Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive erases all partitioning on all disks in Bay 1 / Bay 2 and formats/sets the boot drive to GPT, restores the original partitioning, and restores the OS / apps / configs.

LeParkour012
07-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Oh I get it. Thanks for all your help! I promise I won't force people to freshly install Windows! :p

hmscott
07-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Oh I get it. Thanks for all your help! I promise I won't force people to freshly install Windows! :p

Cool! :)

Warnings are ok though, even if ignored they are remembered - if only briefly ;)

Danger!! Quicksand!! <== Amazingly this warning is often ignored too ;)

gazzacbr
07-08-2014, 09:57 AM
i am not going to add any more to the advice here as it is the easy and safe thing to do.
but for me and many others, a clean install is the only way to go.
i have not had any of the problems with drivers, blue screens, crashes, slowdowns, overheating, games not working, sound hissing, that you can see many times on this forum.
each to his own...

hmscott
07-08-2014, 02:47 PM
i am not going to add any more to the advice here as it is the easy and safe thing to do.
but for me and many others, a clean install is the only way to go.
i have not had any of the problems with drivers, blue screens, crashes, slowdowns, overheating, games not working, sound hissing, that you can see many times on this forum.
each to his own...

having the key embedded in the bios/efi is a good thing...
for Microsoft anyway.
you buy a laptop that can only run the one windows that it came with and if you have problems, well, just reinstall from recovery and lose everything youve done.
but in the real world its pants.
i formatted my disc the second day i had it after windows refused to restart and did not find the recovery partition.
2 days later i disabled efi and reformatted my disk back to old mbr.
i have clean installed windows 8 SL version (automatically picking up the product key) and upgraded to 8.1.
i have not had any regrets.
now my life is easy and windows lives happily with the other 6 os's and 2 ssd's in 12 partitions on my laptop.

gazzacbr, yes, but a Microsoft clean install is completely unnecessary for the happy and successful use of the G750 for 99.99% of G750 owners.

To suggest it is somehow an improvement or better in any way other than the joy it brings as a successful accomplishment unto itself is a disservice to people only interested in a reliable Operating System to use their G750.

There is absolutely nothing to gain in doing a Microsoft clean install. Nothing. :)

Your own reason for doing a Microsoft Clean Install is because you lost the Asus recovery partition, and were unable to do a recovery restore. Perhaps you should mention that while suggesting that is the only good reason for doing a Microsoft clean install.

You could suggest that if they still have their recovery partition intact they should rely on that first, as you wanted to until you discovered you lost your Asus recovery partition, and were forced to do a Microsoft Clean install - because it was the only choice you had available to recover your G750.

You could suggest as well that the first thing they do is to create an Asus Backtracker Flash recovery, because if you had had one, you would have used it to restore your G750 OS, instead of wasting 2 days trying to recover your G750 with out the Asus recovery partition or an Asus Backtracker Flash recovery drive.

I mean, really man, what's the point in telling people to do a Microsoft Clean install, blowing away their recovery partition, and stranding them in an unrecoverable position? How do you justify that to yourself, and to us?

LeParkour012
07-08-2014, 06:12 PM
I would just like to update that I managed to do a clean installation of Windows 8.1 using this instructions: http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?t=191
[replace ********** with tweak_arena (without the _)]

I managed to restore my BIOS defaults and use my OEM key to activate Windows and now I'm happy again :p

Thanks for all your help, hmscott!

http://postimg.org/image/b6dfixdsj/full/

hmscott
07-08-2014, 08:05 PM
I would just like to update that I managed to do a clean installation of Windows 8.1 using this instructions: http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?t=191
[replace ********** with tweak_arena (without the _)]
I managed to restore my BIOS defaults and use my OEM key to activate Windows and now I'm happy again :p
Thanks for all your help, hmscott!

LeParkour012, that's great news, glad you to hear you are up and running again :)