PDA

View Full Version : Question about G750JM-BSI7N23 Hard Drive slots, more Pre-sales questions?

Phib3rOp7ik
07-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase the G750JM-BSI7N23 at Best Buy today but I have a question that the salesman was unsure of.
I want to install an SSD but I do not want to take out my HDD or my Optical Drive.

Question is: is there an empty slot in the computer that I can install an SSD into without having to swap out any other hardware?

Thanks for your time!

hmscott
07-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase the G750JM-BSI7N23 at Best Buy today but I have a question that the salesman was unsure of.
I want to install an SSD but I do not want to take out my HDD or my Optical Drive.

Question is: is there an empty slot in the computer that I can install an SSD into without having to swap out any other hardware?

Thanks for your time!

Phib3rOp7ik, it looks like BestBuy has the G750JM-DS71 more expensive model on discount, and it comes with 12GB instead of 8GB :)
Asus - G750JMDS71 - ROG 17.3" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 12GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5419215.p?id=1219128145312&skuId=5419215

Both have only 1 drive, and Asus has been including an empty disk caddy in the 2nd Bay so you can install your own 2.5" drive.

The screws for attaching a 2.5" drive into the Caddy are in the laptop box, taped to the lid, or in the paperwork plastic bag.

Phib3rOp7ik
07-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Hey thanks a lot, for answering my question AND for finding me a better deal! Now I will need to wait 5 days for it to be shipped to Best Buy (they don't have that model in store) but I think it's def worth the wait - RAM has been expensive since the Japanese Tsunami.

Thanks again!

Phib3rOp7ik
07-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Oh, another question come to think of it. Does anyone know if these two models have a different 760 GPU? I read that some of the G750JM's ship with
the Haswell unit while others ship with the Maxwell unit. Additionally there is the question of screens. I have read on these forums that some ship with a higher quality screen than others.

These might be hard questions to answer, but if anyone knows please let me know! I think I would prefer having the Haswell over Maxwell if it means giving up 4 gigs of RAM (which is an easy upgrade).

hmscott
07-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Oh, another question come to think of it. Does anyone know if these two models have a different 760 GPU? I read that some of the G750JM's ship with
the Haswell unit while others ship with the Maxwell unit. Additionally there is the question of screens. I have read on these forums that some ship with a higher quality screen than others.

These might be hard questions to answer, but if anyone knows please let me know! I think I would prefer having the Haswell over Maxwell if it means giving up 4 gigs of RAM (which is an easy upgrade).

Phib3rOp7ik, it's actually Kepler (GK104) 4GB vs Maxwell (GK107) 2GB , Haswell is the CPU.

Here is an review discussing the differences between the Kepler and Maxwell 860m's
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-860M-Maxwell-vs-Kepler.114908.0.html

Both of the BestBuy models have 2GB of Video memory, and that matches the newer Maxwell GK107 profile. You can check it when you get it with GPU-Z:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2359/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-8-w-asus-rog-skin/

Here is yet another model G750JM review, where they discuss the Maxwell GPU:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-G750JM-T4014H-Notebook-Review-Update.120373.0.html

"Contrary to expectations, Asus does not resort for its G750JM to the Kepler, but to the Maxwell version of the GeForce GTX 860M. Admittedly, the Maxwell version has around 50% less shader units (640 vs. 1,152), but due to the higher clocking rates (1,029-1097 vs. 797-915 MHz) and general efficiency improvements, it works faster.

Asus goes even one step further and overclocks the GTX 860M. According to the GPU-Z tool, 1,197 MHz are possible for 3D operations, which corresponds to a 10% higher value. Our graphics benchmarks clearly indicate that this increase has also advantages in practice.

Independent of the clocking rate, the GTX 860M offers a 2,048 MByte large 128-bit GDDR5 video memory. Since there are already games which ask for three or more GByte (Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein: The New Order), passionate gamer are satisfied with a GeForce GTX 870M or GeForce GTX 880M only. But regardless of whether Kepler or Maxwell: the current Nvidia generation is designed in a 28-nm-process. "

Always there is a reason to buy the model 1 up, but any of the G750's kick ass on most games, the JM is a great laptop in any configuration I have seen.

As far as the screen issues, it is a luck of the draw, there have been complaints with both the ChiMei and the AUO as far as faint lines. I think it is a component tolerance issue in the driver electronics for the screen - since some with the problem have replaced their screen several times and all of the screens showed the same lines - while others have RMA'd their laptop and it has come back with the same screen but no longer has the lines.

I have had a JW, JX, JH and none have had the lines. I wear contacts and glasses and my corrected vision catches anomalies in other screens, so I am not missing it in my G750's :)

On the JW/JX/JH you can increase the refresh rate on the ChiMei up to 100hz, which gets rid of strobing in certain scenes when the refresh is under 85hz, but you can't do that on the JM/JS/JZ - you likely won't notice it, but it is possible. The AUO will run at 70hz, but again you can't increase beyond 60hz on the Optimus/Intel driven JM/JS/JZ models.

Either screen looks good to me, even at 60hz. Uninstall Asus Splendid and the color correction is good at default, but the ChiMei can be improved with downloadable ICC profiles uploaded by loomitz a while back:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36153-Personal-Color-Profile-for-the-Chi-Mei-173HGE&p=401664&viewfull=1#post401664