PDA

View Full Version : Noobie Questions About My Soon To Be Delivered G750JS.

larry_l
07-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Hi Folks:

A G750JS-RS71 is on it's way from Fry's.

I'd like this to be a work computer. Finding a 17" laptop that might play WoT, BF4 and other demanding "simulations" at a decent frame rate and graphic settings for $1500 surprised me. I thought that was only available with the $3000 laptops. I know this only has the middle graphic card, but reviews suggest that this is about 80% of the performance of the GTX 880M. Would anybody notice the difference?

I develop C++ code. I'll be going for a high end desktop PC this fall/winter and this laptop is intended as a nice remote desktop. It's apparently faster than the tired old Athlon 4800+ I'm currently using for development, so I'd like this to serve as my development system until I get the desktop.

I'll want to replace the OS with Win 8.1 Pro, for the remote desktop and other "Pro" features. Does the laptop come with software to copy the factory disk image to a backup media, in case I want to return the laptop to factory specs for warranty?

From my research, I gather the hard drive is heinous. People who contribute to this forum and to the product reviews at Newegg recommend a solid state drive be added to the laptop. I'm wondering if its practical to add the SSD and replace the hard drive with something like a nice fast WD VelociRaptor.

I'm unfamiliar with laptops. How can I tell if a hard drive or SSD I'm interested in will be compatible? Will any 2 1/2" SATA 6.0Gb/s drive work?

I'm also unfamiliar with SSDs and don't know what goes on the SSD to get the best performance. I'm assuming people boot off of the SSD, but I'm more concerned with getting work done quickly, rather than booting quickly.

Some posts in this forum complain of streaks in the monitor, and attribute this to the ChiMei display. How can I determine which display I have? I'm planning on having a 21" monitor plugged in most of the time.

That reminds me, can I use the laptop monitor and an external monitor at the same time? Can I run two separate applications, one using the laptop display and the other the external display? Can I have a program I'm developing display on the laptop's monitor while debugging information is displayed on the external monitor?

I'm disappointed that this laptop won't ship with a Blu-ray burner. Is there an affordable internal Blu-ray burner available for this PC? External units can be had for about $120.00, I can live with that.

I can go on and on, but that's enough for now. I just have to wait 4 more days.

Thanks
Larry

theclaw37
07-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Hi larry. I'm a C++ developer too. So here's my two cents about some of your questions

- Yes, you can have the laptop screen, a monitor plugged into VGA, one into HDMI maybe and even one (or i think more.. with daisychain) in the thunderbolt/displayport one. If you use Visual studio like me, you can have a pretty nice multi-screen set-up for debugging :)

- The GTX 870m is a beast. It's not the godlike 880m but it's very close. You'll be able to run most of the newest games with maxed out settings at 1920x1080 no problem

- I don't know where you got the info, but the HGST hard-drive is very very good. Take a look at http://www.esaitech.com/hitachi-travelstar-7k1000-1tb-7200rpm-sata-6.0gbps-2.5-inch-internal-hard-drive.html . Also, HGST is owned by WD so you get good quality. Some people compare this hard-drive with a lower-end SSD, because of it's impressive speeds. I use my laptop with a Kingston V300 120GB boot drive, and that HDD as data storage and it's perfect. You can look at the specs of the HDD to tell what kind of SSD will be good for your laptop too, and yes, SATA3 6Gbps is ok.

- As for the screen, you can only go to a local shop that has the exact same model and ask to install something like HWMonitor64 and see the display producer there. There's Optronics AUO (which i have and it's good) and the ChiMei one (which i heard it's pretty bad)

Darnassus
07-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Playing WoT at ultra, all settings maxed 60+FPS. <3

What's your gamer name? I'd love to play a few rounds with you! :3

larry_l
07-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks Claw:

What do I need to know in order to get a compatible SSD? Dimensions? Power requirements? Does the G750 support SATA 6 Gb/s?

You keep your system on the SSD. I'm assuming that's where your Visual Studio lives.

Do your projects reside on the SSD or do you keep the sources on the hard drive?

I really want to optimize this thing for fast compiles, I have several projects with more than 100K lines of code. Some of the code is in libraries common to all of the projects.

This is a laptop, so I'm thinking of putting the system stuff on the SSD and encrypting the entire hard drive with Truecrypt, where my code and other sensitive and personal information will live. That way, if someone steals the laptop the most valuable items are protected.

I assume Visual Studio generates a lot of "scratch" files as it builds an executable. Can Visual Studio be configured to keep these files on the SSD?

I appreciate the time you have taken to help me.

Thanks
Larry

larry_l
07-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Playing WoT at ultra, all settings maxed 60+FPS. <3

What's your gamer name? I'd love to play a few rounds with you! :3

Thanks Darnassus:

That's nuts!

I spent $2400 to get my sister a high end i7 tower, i7 4770K and a single AMD 770 graphics card.

That system delivers about 60 FPS!

Are you talking about 60 FPS downhill with a tailwind? Or is that a consistent 60 FPS?

About platooning in World of Tanks, here is the problem.

I'm a terrible player, 46% win rate. I'm trying to get better. But I do have fun.

If your still interested...

I play tier 7 and 8 light, medium and heavies.

I'm all set for Teamspeak, recently learned how to set up a channel on the public servers.

My game name is PDX_Dragon, I'm on the US West server. I'm willing to give up 80ms of lag if you're on the East server.

What's your gamer name?

Larry

larry_l
07-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Sorry, double post.

Darnassus
07-12-2014, 03:54 AM
There's SOME drops, but usually you're running with 50FPS. If you're doing to drop, the minimal regular I drop is to around 35-40.

P.S. I'm overclocked on my card and undervolted on CPU.

Also, you'll run World of Warplanes on maximum on great FPS too.

Funny enough WoT isn't that demanding as most might think. Not like Crysis stuff..

theclaw37
07-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks Claw:

What do I need to know in order to get a compatible SSD? Dimensions? Power requirements? Does the G750 support SATA 6 Gb/s?

You keep your system on the SSD. I'm assuming that's where your Visual Studio lives.

Do your projects reside on the SSD or do you keep the sources on the hard drive?

I really want to optimize this thing for fast compiles, I have several projects with more than 100K lines of code. Some of the code is in libraries common to all of the projects.

This is a laptop, so I'm thinking of putting the system stuff on the SSD and encrypting the entire hard drive with Truecrypt, where my code and other sensitive and personal information will live. That way, if someone steals the laptop the most valuable items are protected.

I assume Visual Studio generates a lot of "scratch" files as it builds an executable. Can Visual Studio be configured to keep these files on the SSD?

I appreciate the time you have taken to help me.

Thanks
Larry

Hey. Yes. I'm keeping my projects in the cloud actually, and therefore, it syncs from the boot drive which in fact, is the SSD :).

Just as a reference, here's my ssd: http://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/v#sv300s3

And the answer to about all your questions is yes:
- I keep Visual Studio on my C partition (the only partition on the SSD)
- I keep Windows on that too obviously
- I'm working with a small team on a game engine that is very small right now. The solution has 5 projects (engine, utils, server etc.), and about 30K lines of code in total. It amazingly takes about 20-30 seconds to build the whole project from scratch, or about 3-5 seconds to build with a few modifications. I trust you're using incremental building and precompiled headers and blablabla :)
- If you're organized about it, you can keep ALL your work stuff on an SSD (even encrypt it) and use the unencrypted HDD for storage like games, music, movies etc.
- Also, if your laptop only comes with an HDD, when you buy the SSD you have to mount it in the place where the HDD was originally, and put the HDD in the empty slot. This way the SSD is the primary drive.

Here's a video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U69nzbC62M

larry_l
07-13-2014, 01:50 AM
Thanks Claw:

I have a case of cold feet, and I'm thinking of doing something drastic Monday.

I might cancel my G750JS order and get a G750JZ.

The tower PC this laptop will be serving as a remote desktop uses an Athlon 4800+.

Yesterday I googled that processor and found it was introduced in 2005!

I feel pressed to purchase a new development machine, but I want to wait for the expected hot technology surrounding the 2011-3 socket expected this fall.

The two projects I'm currently working on are each in excess of 100K lines of C++ code.

Of course, I use pre-compiled headers and incremental builds. But I need to do full builds occasionally and they can take 20 minutes. I probably need to do a couple of these a day. None some days, other days, when creating release code for a client, I might do several.

Just quick compiles of minor changes, sometimes of a header file many modules use, can take long enough to upset any pace I'm trying to maintain while developing code.

Perhaps this shouldn't be a remote desktop for a PC running 9 year old technology.

I do want a laptop.

I talked to Fry's and they'll take an unopened package back and credit my account with no re-stocking charge. I pay shipping.

So I'm thinking seriously about purchasing a G750JZ-XS72 from Amazon. At $2800.00, this is a $1300.00 bump over the price of the JS. This puts it above the price of the high end i7 unit I purchased for my sister in January.

Things I want that the GZ750JZ has, and the Newegg price to add these capabilities to the G750 JS I've ordered:

Win 8.1 Pro. I don't have a Win 8 system, so I need to get familiar with the OS. The Pro version has some features I want, like support for a remote desktop. $140.00

SSD. The JZ-XS72 has a 512 GB SSD. I believe it comes set up as two partitions. This will give me 256 GB for the system and 256 GB for a Truecrypt encrypted partition for the projects I'm developing. The C: drive on my current system uses about 175 GB, and my C++ projects occupy less than 100 GB, so this should be plenty. I've read something in the many review and comments from users that the SSD is actually two SSDs that can be configured as RAID 0. I don't know if that's true but I have no problem if I can squeeze a little more speed.

Kingston SSDNow V300 480 GB $235.00

Blu-Ray player. Extenal replacement $120.00

32 Gig memory. I don't need it, but 16 Gig of 1.3 Volt laptop memory (2 X 8 GB) is about $150.00

So it would cost me $645.00 to add these features to the JS. I'm not counting the difference between the JZ's TB 7200 RPM hard drive and the JS's 750 GB 5000 RPM drive.

So the price delta is $655.00, add shipping.

The JZ comes with this already setup up and ready for work.

And there's the GTX 880M.

Anyway, that's what I'll be pondering for the next day or two.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Larry

Darnassus
07-13-2014, 02:26 AM
I've been theorising that the G750 might be refreshed again with the new mobile CPU, not sure. ':x

larry_l
07-13-2014, 02:59 AM
I've been theorising that the G750 might be refreshed again with the new mobile CPU, not sure. ':x

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Noooooooo!

Another reason to do nothing?

There's always something wonderful coming.

The G750 lineup currently use the i7 4700HQ.

What's the new mobile CPU?

What do you think?

What do you know?

What have you heard?

Do you have any sites I can look at?

Thanks, I guess :)
Larry