PDA

View Full Version : New G750JZ reboots itself while gaming

jugo00
07-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Hi all. I've bought asus g750jz recently and encountered a weird problem. Whenever i play watch_dogs the pc restarts itself after few minutes. The same thing happened while playing battlefield 3. I though that it might be the temperature, but they are really low (56c cpu, 75gpu) while playing a game. What's more - a more demanding games such as metro 2033 or last light run perfectly at highest details without any problems. My OS is Windows 7 x64. Should I switch to windows 8? I thought about power supply issues, but metro runs well, so i don't know anymore. Any ideas ?

hmscott
07-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Hi all. I've bought asus g750jz recently and encountered a weird problem. Whenever i play watch_dogs the pc restarts itself after few minutes. The same thing happened while playing battlefield 3. I though that it might be the temperature, but they are really low (56c cpu, 75gpu) while playing a game. What's more - a more demanding games such as metro 2033 or last light run perfectly at highest details without any problems. My OS is Windows 7 x64. Should I switch to windows 8? I thought about power supply issues, but metro runs well, so i don't know anymore. Any ideas ?

jugo00, which Nvidia driver are you running? 340.43 Beta is more stable than 337.88, fewer crashes :)

jugo00
07-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Hmm. Currently i have 337.88. I'll try 340.43 and let know how things go.

hmscott
07-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Hmm. Currently i have 337.88. I'll try 340.43 and let know how things go.

jugo00, yup 337.88 is kinda crashy - also, do a Custom => Clean Install.

jugo00
07-11-2014, 06:37 PM
i tried 340.43, but the problem remains. I tried playing watch dogs and pc rebooted after approximately 15 minutes

hmscott
07-11-2014, 11:55 PM
i tried 340.43, but the problem remains. I tried playing watch dogs and pc rebooted after approximately 15 minutes

jugo00, what is the error code / Blue screen info you are seeing, post a photo if too much to type. People have been seeing crashes with 337.88, and fewer with 340.43.

Are you OC'ing the GPU, or CPU?

hmscott
07-12-2014, 12:01 AM
jugo00, what is the error code / Blue screen info you are seeing, post a photo if too much to type. People have been seeing crashes with 337.88, and fewer with 340.43.

jugo00, it looks like this might be unrelated to the other crashes, and is specific to the game, here is a thread that talks about it, and here is 1 cure someone found:

Watch Dogs - This game reboots my PC after a while
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/673019-watch-dogs/69317746

"Something I did worked to make it so it doesn't freeze anymore (Been playing since yesterday with no freezes and same temps). I selected Borderless Window (even with my max resolution, so it looks exactly the same, just lets me alt-tab easier) and disabled Uplay in-game overlay.

Not sure if this'll work for everybody, but it did for me and I haven't had any more problems since I did this. Also I was running a skype call and Steam while doing this, and my performance never suffered, if that's of any help."

And, another:

"What worked for me was change AA to 8x instead the one suggested by auto detected. Now the game is using 100% of my GPU but no more shutdowns."

And, another for Steam / Uplay hosted play

" Re: Watch_Dogs crashes after few minutes of playing
Watch Dogs on my pc was also crashing alot so after a long time searching I found out that if we disable both the Steam and Uplay Overlay then it will solve the problem of crashing. To do that you will have to go to Steam library and right click on Watch Dogs and go to its properties and then uncheck the "Enable Ingame Overlay". You also need to open Uplay and go under its settings and find out an option to disable it. This way you will not face any more issues."

Lots more...
https://www.google.com/search?num=50&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=sb&q=watchdogs+crashing+after+15+minutes&oq=watchdogs+crashing+after+15+minutes

jugo00
07-12-2014, 07:36 AM

The problem is that pc simply restarts with now warnings / infos etc. I'm not playing with OC. I'll try those settings you mentioned in the post before and let know.

hmscott
07-12-2014, 07:45 AM
The problem is that pc simply restarts with now warnings / infos etc. I'm not playing with OC. I'll try those settings you mentioned in the post before and let know.

jugo00, that is what they say in the threads, nothing displayed on the screens or in the Windows Event logs, it just reboots without warning... I hope those tweaks, or others in the threads in the google search help, and thanks for the update.

Klorz
07-12-2014, 07:45 PM
I have the same issue, with a JS instead of a JZ. Thought it was just watchdogs for a while, but I also get the problem with other games.

Things I have done:
Tried both Win8 and Win7
Ensured OS and all drivers are up to date
Monitored/logged system temps (with MSI afterburner) to ensure it wasn't overheating
Ran memtest 86 to check memory, 0 errors detected after 7 passes
Disabling overclocking in BIOS
Testing with external monitors/keyboard/mouse/everything removed
Game specific crash fixes found online

Games that crash:
Watchdogs (within seconds to minutes of gameplay starting after intro video. Have not been past that point) [Steam & Uplay clients both open]
Saints Row IV (after several minutes, in gameplay, cutscenes, character creation, just about anything) [Steam]
Titanfall (actually thought this was fine in win7 till I tried again last night after not playing for a while, so very variable in timing) [Origin]
Batman - Arkham Asylum (happened once in a full playthrough)

Games that I can confirm marathon gameplay with no issue:
Risk of Rain [Steam]
Steamworld Dig [Steam]
Batteblock Theatre [Steam]
Magicite [Steam]
Audiosurf 2 [Steam]
Super Meat Boy [Steam]
Dynasty Warriors 8 [Steam]
Starbound [Steam]
Killing Floor [Steam]
Rogue Shooter [Steam]
Terraria [Steam]
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon [Steam and Uplay]
Diablo 3 [Battlenet]
League of Legends

Tried sending in to support a couple days ago, haven't heard back. Have been trying to make my own thread here as well, but for some reason trying to post new thread results in an endless waiting loop, under all 3 of my browsers.

hmscott
07-13-2014, 04:08 AM
I have the same issue, with a JS instead of a JZ. Thought it was just watchdogs for a while, but I also get the problem with other games.
Tried sending in to support a couple days ago, haven't heard back. Have been trying to make my own thread here as well, but for some reason trying to post new thread results in an endless waiting loop, under all 3 of my browsers.

Klorz, you only have 1 post, I think you need at least 5 to do certain things, like make a top level post. :)

If you have another 2.5" drive, make an Asus Backtracker Flash recovery drive, pull the boot M.2's (remember how they are plugged in), and start on a clean recovery, and see if the same games crash. It is possible it is a combination of several things updated over time - as there have been people playing the games you have that are crashing without problems.

If you do get crash free on a fresh recovery, you can slowly update until it fails - and you find the cause.

It is tedious, but I have done similar before, and successfully found the root cause.

Don't forget to pull the 1TB before doing the recovery as it will get erased by the recovery process. If you have new M.2's to put in that might happen. If you have a new 2.5" you will need to pull the 1TB anyway.

I wouldn't blow away your current build/boot, as it sounds like you have done a lot of installs - if you can't get a new boot drive, you could backup your 1TB to an external drive and recover to that as the boot drive for the test. You will also need to pull the M.2's for that too.

Let us know what you find. :)

hmscott
07-13-2014, 04:29 AM
As of the 5th, it appears that the G750JM has been inducted into Nvidia's Verde program - there is a new driver, version 337.88, on the download page, with a Verde tag in the filename. To the best of my knowledge, getting a Verde driver indicates that Nvidia are aware of the issue and have created an official fix specific to the model, so hopefully this is the last of our troubles, and even more hopefully this means that we don't have to worry about staying on a particular driver set forever.

I've installed the driver and haven't had an issue yet, but I'll be back if it comes back. That said, so far so good - GPU activity indicator flips on and off instantly when it should, no BSODs, no performance derps. Even GPU Tweak appears to be working - seeing 1196 GPU clock with it on, 1084 off.

Thanks to all that helped get ASUS' and Nvidia's attention, it seems to have paid off!

Jaitsu found the new release of the 337.88 Verde Nvidia driver for the JM/JS/JZ, it is in their respective download areas.

G750JM download area
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JM&hashedid=hk9WNtlEOFPl0Q7s

VGA_nVidia_Verde_Win81_64_VER918133788.zip
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/VGA/VGA_nVidia_Verde_Win81_64_VER918133788.zip

Jaitsu, reports it is working better than the 340.43 BETA:

G750JM Daily BSODS, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48428-G750JM-Daily-BSODS-DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE&p=418803&viewfull=1#post418803

jugo00
07-13-2014, 08:11 AM
I tried everything i'd found in google, but with no results. Luckily this problem doesnt occur with other games (been playing outlast and crysis for couple of hours) so i think that watch dogs is simply a crap.
Klorz - try testing your power supply. When i was sure it wasn't the temp, drivers and os i though it might be a broken psu.

jugo00
07-13-2014, 10:13 PM
crap... it rebooted again while playing max payne. It's starting to piss me off.... is it possible that psu might be broken even though it's brand-new ? or you have other ideas ? hdd is fine, tried chkdsk - no errors. Installed new drivers - 340.43, made sure temps are fine and didn't overclock anything.

Klorz
07-13-2014, 11:12 PM
hmscott - Thank you! Verde driver (in windows 7) titanfall and saints row 4 both working great. Havn't tested watchdogs yet, but exact same crash so I am feeling hopeful. Kinda mad I couldn't find that myself, and assumed nvidia app would get the correct thing.

Also, thanks for pointing out the posting thing, makes sense, I dont often start new forums, so I forget they like to do such things.

jugo00, try making sure your on the Verde driver, and not the official main nvidia one.

Klorz
07-14-2014, 04:45 AM
Correction - not fixed, just more stable. Got a random restart in game again, but was able to play longer than usual.

Klorz
07-15-2014, 06:00 AM
jugo00 - I think I have actually got it fixed on my system now, just played for a few hours straight in one of the games that was crashing before. Try updating your BIOS.

In case you don't know how - Go to the Asus support downloads for your model, and get the latest file under BIOS. Unzip the file to the root (no subfolders) directory of C. Restart and hit F2 at the splash screen, and tab over till you see the option "Start EZ Flash" or something very similar. This will start up and you should see the file you placed in the C root, select it and wait for it to finish. Note that losing power while this happens can be very bad, and also that any BIOS settings you may have changed previously will be reverted to initial settings.

hmscott
07-15-2014, 08:30 AM
jugo00 - I think I have actually got it fixed on my system now, just played for a few hours straight in one of the games that was crashing before. Try updating your BIOS.

In case you don't know how - Go to the Asus support downloads for your model, and get the latest file under BIOS. Unzip the file to the root (no subfolders) directory of C. Restart and hit F2 at the splash screen, and tab over till you see the option "Start EZ Flash" or something very similar. This will start up and you should see the file you placed in the C root, select it and wait for it to finish. Note that losing power while this happens can be very bad, and also that any BIOS settings you may have changed previously will be reverted to initial settings.

How did you all let a BIOS update pass by unnoticed? :)

Klorz, what G750 model, from / to BIOS versions did you upgrade?

Klorz
07-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Checking the official downloads page just kind of slipped my mind, as something that had not been relevant to me in several years. I swear I used to be good at this, until I started an unrelated career and got rusty :P

G750JS, and I forgot to check which BIOS version I had before... I was thinking about it over and over when going to do it, then as soon as the utility loaded I just went straight for the update file, and the progress screen didn't show that bit of information. I did get the laptop just over a month after the first BIOS update was released, as a stock one from Newegg, so I suspect the original. Upgraded to 207. With the two updates listed on the official support download page, this means there were "Update CPU microcode", and possibly "Reconfigure thermal policy". Depending on the specifics, either could have been the solution I suppose.