PDA

View Full Version : Performance Differences: Battery Mode vs Charging Mode

kraver0
07-11-2014, 09:59 PM
This is my first actual laptop, so I do apologize if this is a silly question but:

When I play games on battery mode, the frame rates start to drop, about 20 FPS. My temps are also a lot cooler.

Once I plug in my laptop to charge, the frame rates picks back up. My temps become a lot warmer.

Is it normal for this to happen?

Prostar Computer
07-11-2014, 11:17 PM
It's absolutely normal for a couple of reasons:

1. The video chip cannot draw enough power from the battery alone. When you supply it with enough power from the adapter/charger, it's able to unleash its potential at the expense of producing more heat.

2. Some heat will be generated from having the adapter connected as it's delivering electricity to the charging circuit and to the battery. The charging creates additional heat.

Essentially, the concept(s) here is: more electricity = more heat.

Asus systems are very good in their cooling ability though, thankfully. :)

kraver0
07-11-2014, 11:21 PM
It's absolutely normal for a couple of reasons:

1. The video chip cannot draw enough power from the battery alone. When you supply it with enough power from the adapter/charger, it's able to unleash its potential at the expense of producing more heat.

2. Some heat will be generated from having the adapter connected as it's delivering electricity to the charging circuit and to the battery. The charging creates additional heat.

Essentially, the concept(s) here is: more electricity = more heat.

Asus systems are very good in their cooling ability though, thankfully. :)

I figured it'd be like that.

Thanks.