PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy, should I wait or buy?

justin_s
07-13-2014, 01:05 AM
I will be looking to buy either later this year or early next year.

Currently I am looking at the G750JZ series with the GTX 880 are there machines on the horizon in 2015 say GTX 900.

Should I wait or I buy?

I currently have a G74SX I have been very happy with it, its my main workhorse. I plan to use the old with the new hopefully the old will be operational for at least a few more years.

Thanks for the input.

Torpedo499
07-13-2014, 01:47 AM
I'd say the 900 series should be a few years away, the 800 series isn't even on desktop computers yet. If I was in your situation, i'd buy it, Asus really makes solid laptops.

Darnassus
07-13-2014, 02:22 AM
I'd say the 900 series should be a few years away, the 800 series isn't even on desktop computers yet. If I was in your situation, i'd buy it, Asus really makes solid laptops.

I wouldn't say solid.

They're damn good, but they're not solid.. it's quite the hit and miss as well on chances of faulty purchase. Make sure you can buy local, even if it costs $100 more.

With the Z, don't forget you need to put up with Optimus.. :c Otherwise, yes, it's a damn good (sadly not upgradable) laptop

Torpedo499
07-13-2014, 02:58 AM
I wouldn't say solid.

They're damn good, but they're not solid.. it's quite the hit and miss as well on chances of faulty purchase. Make sure you can buy local, even if it costs $100 more.

With the Z, don't forget you need to put up with Optimus.. :c Otherwise, yes, it's a damn good (sadly not upgradable) laptop

I think my build is solid, got it from a local Best Buy.
Didn't have any problems yet except a bit higher temps/longer cool down times in the summer. Asus makes an awesome laptop in my eyes.

Ace0751
07-13-2014, 03:31 AM
If you're willing to fork out that much then it would be a good decision to buy. Can't go wrong with a 4GB GPU and that will last for a few years with most games. Easy to travel with if you plan on picking up their backpack. Like other said its a hit or miss with these, some had problems while others are completely fine. If you have a faulty one return it quickly but other than that its a sturdy laptop with a lot of great features. Although it may be a little bulky it has great ventilation.

justin_s
07-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Could explain this "Optimus."?

Not upgradeable I haven't upgraded my current laptop other then the hard drive.
As far as the RAM on the one I am looking at I think that is fine with 24gb as long as none of the RAM is bad. I will run memtest to check it.

dne0gen
07-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Every year manufacturers put out new products and every year they are better than last year. Currently the JZ model is one of the best out there(typing this on one myself). Next year there will be something better than it.Then, the year after, there will be something better than that. So the upgrade would be "reasonable" if you need a new one, or you simply don't want your old one anymore.

larry_l
07-14-2014, 07:42 PM
I plan to order a G750JZ this week.

So there's a good chance Asus will be releasing a new improved laptop with twice the processor speed, a GeForce GTX 990 with 8 GB, twice the memory, twice the hard drive and SSD size for half the price next week.

justin_s
07-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Where you going to order?

I plan to order at walmart when they are back in stock. I have two gift cards I got from my credit card rewards. Can't wait....

larry_l
07-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Hi Justin:

I prefer to do business with Fry's. They've always been very good about resolving any problems with computer equipment I've had in the past. They are a high tech oriented business and know how to take care of computer issues.

But they don't have the JZ model I"m interested in.

So I'll order mine from Best Buy. I've never dealt with them before.

I have philosophical issues with Walmart:

1) They pay their employees so little that many have to go on public assistance, so in a way tax payers are subsidizing your laptop.

2) They put so much price pressure their vendors that many can't compete for coveted Walmart shelf space if they pay their workers a living wage. Walmart has a suggestion for a business with this problem. Close factories in their own country and move production to China. Almost every country in the Western world is having economic problems, do you have any idea why?

But that's off topic, I suppose.

Larry

Wr3ckloose
07-15-2014, 09:23 PM
if you wait till early next year then, by all means, wait! lol

new stuff comes out every year and if the next year model turns out to be a flop, then you can always pick up the JZ at CHEAPER price.