PDA

View Full Version : G750JHA shut itself off once so far while gaming.

Folkb
07-13-2014, 02:21 AM
Hello so earlier today my Asus notebook shut itself off while playing a game called Elder Scrolls online; automatically I assumed heat issues so i downloaded a monitor program and noticed that while playing my GPU temp hits about 80c. Although I also just tested the temp with another game Borderlands 2 and it sat at about 65C. So i guess my question is should I worry about my GPU temp hitting 80c with the Geforce gtx 780m? So far this only happened once today but I'd hate this issue to pop up more often over time.

Like to add that I've had this notebook for about 11 months.

eneskadi
10-28-2014, 12:03 PM
i had same problem after 8 months use.Some games hit temperature to 86c then laptop shut hımself.

themeonster
10-28-2014, 03:19 PM
I experienced the same thing in certain games. I actually think that it might have been the vram getting too hot as the gpu should throttle to keep temps down and shut off around 90C or 100C I think. So if you have the vram frequency overclocked (memory clock) you could try lowering the clock rate until your machine is more stable. That worked for me while playing archeage. I think that it is the vram because I recently took the laptop apart to re-paste and found that the vram on the bottom of the card didn't seem to be properly cooled.

If you can see, some of the thermal pads that asus used on the bottom of the card didn't quite touch the ram module that they were supposed to cool so I had about half of my vram generating heat with nowhere to put it eventually resulting in a security shut off in intensive games. Unfortunately it seems that there is no way to be sure if this is the case for you short of taking apart the laptop and having a look which most certainly voids any remaining warranty.

If you do decide to re-paste and are unsure of how to go about it, a number of us here on the forum have done it already and are willing to help. I would have posted a guide but my internet connection is so stupidly slow that it would take several hours to upload pictures. In any case, let us know how it goes and good luck.