PDA

View Full Version : anyone with any input for the following G750JX temperature problem please do so :(

Pepperami
07-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Hey guys

For reference, I have the G750 JX

Ok, after seeing my temperature soar to 96 deg celsius on my CPU just from running WINZIP and trying to compress a large file, I also ran FOLDING@HOME which I have used for about 18 months now, both on my home PC and also my old Laptop

My home PC CPU temps never exceed around 60c and my old laptop around 70c

I posted a previous thread here

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48987-G750-JX-couple-of-questions-Benchmark-and-3D

as I felt it was not doing as well as it should, and the temps were not normal, agreed, I had ramped it up a little, but after restoring it to normal, the temps on winzip still broke 95c

It was RMA'd, a company called LetMeRepair, and after speaking to them at 4pm, my laptop is due for return to me on Wednesday, but, the temps are still where they were :(

According to the technicians, these are perfectly normal operating temps, and although I explained in full that I could be running folding@home for maybe 8 hours a day, so the CPU would infact be running at 95/96 or hotter as the day went on, they were adamant that the unit was within tolerances, and at that they had stress tested it, and nothing wrong was found :(

I have escalated it with ASUS as I have fully explained to them, and told them I am not happy, but they said it can take 72 hours to get back to me, and the unit will in all probability be back with me by then

Could I have your views on this please guys?

I paid a LOT of money for this Laptop, I wanted something that would be able to cope with BF3 and BF4 plus other things I do, and I do not want to be worried about cooking a CPU when the warranty has expired because they have simply returned it saying its running within specifications :(

Not a happy chap at all to be honest :(

redduc900
07-14-2014, 04:15 PM
What are you using to monitor the core temp?

Pepperami
07-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility shows the temps when you run a stress test, and also I ran Core Temp at the same time

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Both were mirroring each other +/- 1 deg

also ran HWinfo and CPU Z the results were the same

redduc900
07-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Do you have the latest v209 BIOS revision installed? And does it make a difference whether or not the unit is plugged in?

Pepperami
07-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Not sure to be honest about the 209 bios, and as its not here I wont know till wednesday, but I will have a look, does it make a difference then?

Pepperami
07-15-2014, 07:47 AM
On speaking to ASUS Support this morning, it appears that they always defer to the warranty repairer, so, in this case, if the repair company say "its running normally" then Asus will go along with what they say, which makes no sense to me whatsoever surely Asus know about the machines they produce and what are acceptable tolerances for the components?

I really can't see how running a CPU at the high temps I have mentioned, for extended periods of time, is going to do the CPU any favours at all to be honest :(

hmscott
07-15-2014, 10:53 AM
...and also I ran Core Temp at the same time

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Pepperami, first, sorry to hear your JX is running hot. You don't mention if it is thermal throttling - that would be a good thing to point out to Asus as being the core problem. It isn't supposed to thermal throttle, and if you are getting that hot, you are likely thermal throttling.

You can use hwinfo64 Sensors mode (start it that way), and there will be a line for each core stating current, min, max, ave readings and it will say No or Yes if it thermal throttled in that time. Run hwinfo64 all the time and keep checking for a Yes in the Thermal throttling lines. When you get it, likely quickly given your temps, you screen shot that and file a Technical Inquiry here to get it RMA'd for Thermal Throttling fix - repaste or replacement cooling parts, Asus needs to fix - not some 3rd party repair place that doesn't know the hardware - Asus is using them to pass the buck and trading on that 3rd parties innocent acceptance of what is normal. Take Asus to task, and don't let go till they take it on RMA and fix it - if it is thermal throttling.

Here is what the hwinfo64 Sensor mode choice at startup looks like, and the thermal throttling lines highlighted (you have to scroll down in the dialog when you get it running to see these lines)

https://vip.asus.com

Let us know how it works out with Asus.

Pepperami
07-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Hello again mate :) You started all this in my previous thread this is all your fault lol ;)

Ok, so, where they all say NO they will change to YES when it thermal throttles... ok got it

I had a call about 20 mins ago, they have apparently redone the thermal paste, which was at my request as they had not done so yesterday and have stress tested it, and apparently, its all ok.... mhhhhhh

So, when it arrives back here tomorrow, I will do as you suggest, and see what happens, if it IS thermal throttling, then its going back, and ASUS can this time deal with it themselves, they must have a technical department for RMA work surely?

Pepperami
07-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Ok well Laptop is on its way back, here is the official statement from ASUS Tech Support (Escalated Section)

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS UK Support Team.
You have called our hotline regarding your unit with SN: D9N0CY*********
You had sent your unit in due to overheating issues.
The repair has been deemed as NTF (no trouble found) and you wanted to know if it is ok for the computer to be used at for an extended amount of time (12-15 hours) at the given temperature.

Please be informed that I have checked your case with the repair centre LMR.
Please be noted that the unit should not be running for 12 to 15 hours continuous with intensive programme, however a over night extensive test was done and the temperature is within the spec and unit did not cut out.
There were further no hardware faults found. The CPU & GPU thermal paste have been replaced. Fans and heatsinks were also cleaned as requested by yourself.
The CPU and GPU can reach 105C on this unit. The temperature recored is below this so therefore the temperature is within specifications.
Also no abnormal pixelation was found. The LCD was visual inspected by our LCD display expert.

Please be informed that your unit will be shipped back to you. You will receive the delivery notification via sms.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Giovanka M.
ASUS UK Support Team"

So, this is supposed to be a TOP SPEC Laptop, but you cannot use it for 12 hours using an intensive program

NOTE TO SELF........ Email FOLDING@HOME and tell them that there program is too intensive for my £1500 odd top of the range high spec gaming laptop!!!!

Ok...... so...... if I test it again, and its throttling, its going back, if its not, and its just running hot, does anyone have some suggestions before I sell it and look for another make or model maybe?

Appreciate the help so far guys...... but I am nearing my explode point lol

hmscott
07-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Pepperami, that's great news, lets hope the re-pasting work actually reduced the temps, and your CPU doesn't throttle under load.

The Asus / 3rd party response is a bit off, the max TEMP for the CPU is 100c per the Intel spec, and throttling happens before that, around 95c/96c, not 105c. The GPU might take that much heat - I can't find a good spec on the thermalT of the GPU.

Here is the spec on the 4700HQ from ark.intel.com

http://ark.intel.com/products/75116/Intel-Core-i7-4700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

If it doesn't throttle, then you are fine keeping it as I have had good luck with Asus laptops living long and productive lives. If you want to reduce the FAH load, you can reduce the CPU cores/threads in the slot and reduce the performance on the GPU - don't OC when running long batch jobs like FAH / BOINC. Turning back the throttle a bit for long term benefit.

There really aren't any other choices for low temp laptops, except some large frame custom laptops - but those are expensive.

You could jump up to the G750JH - I see much lower temps than the JW/JX/JM/JS/JZ... GPU is about the same on the JZ.

Let us know what temps you are seeing after the RMA repaste :)

Pepperami
07-16-2014, 08:48 AM
well its due here around lunchtime according to the Courier Tracker so I will get right on it :)

BIOS - Worth updating or downgrading depending on which is installed?

hmscott
07-16-2014, 09:08 AM
well its due here around lunchtime according to the Courier Tracker so I will get right on it :)
BIOS - Worth updating or downgrading depending on which is installed?

Pepperami, updating the BIOS is ok, you need to know if you have a JX or a JXA - you can find out which it is by going into the BIOS - F2 at power up - or use CPU-Z and go into the Mainboard tab to see the BIOS name /number then check the G750JZ support download area for the newest BIOS for your JXA/JX.

You can use winflash from Windows to schedule the BIOS upgrade at the next boot, or go directly into the BIOS at power up F2 and do the EZ-Flash method from the BIOS. Setting defaults is a good idea after a BIOS update - at the power up from reboot F2 again and Set Defaults + F10 to save and reboot again.

But, I would wait until after you test your temps before embarking on the BIOS update. Take notes, and see if the BIOS update improves / changes the results of the tests.

You can roll back to a previous BIOS by changing the shortcut for Winflash to add a /nodate option to the Target command line - outside the ""'s

AFAIK there is no way to roll back to an older BIOS via the F2 in BIOS Ezflash - it will reject the older BIOS.
Good luck! :)

Pepperami
07-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Cheers mate :)

Outta interest, what's the difference between the JX and the JXA??

hmscott
07-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Cheers mate :)

Outta interest, what's the difference between the JX and the JXA??

Asus said the difference between the JH and the JHA is that the JHA has BIOS to support the RAID0 hardware - I guess there are JX's with RAID0 too? Maybe it is Asus speak for a different hardware config requiring a different BIOS... and the difference might be something other than RAID0 hardware for JX / JXA - like 3D screen support?

You could ask Asus via a Technical Inquiry :)

https://vip.asus.com

Pepperami
07-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Mhhhh ok, slight issue :(

I recieved it back and plugged it in, turned it on, and installed HWINFO and rebooted, it loaded windows, but I had to do a job at work, so left it and it went off, so I pressed the button, but all I got was a black screen with a flashing "_" at the top left corner, wouldnt turn off, so I held down the power button to turn it off

I turned it back on again, and all I got was a black screen, no keyboard illumination, and the lights at the front below the touchpad, all that was on was the first one (bulb) battery and lock light at the end

Had to hold down the power button again to turn it off, then turned it on again, this time keyboard lit up, but flashing "_" reappeared :(

Turned off again, this time booted but asked me to boot normally or repair startup so I booted normally, it loaded windows fine, but I used the windows (windows 7) start options button and selected reboot, it switched off, then those three lights at the front again, and nothing else

So, does anyone know what the hell is going on???

Is this going to be a reinstall windows job do you think?

hmscott
07-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Mhhhh ok, slight issue :(

I recieved it back and plugged it in, turned it on, and installed HWINFO and rebooted, it loaded windows, but I had to do a job at work, so left it and it went off, so I pressed the button, but all I got was a black screen with a flashing "_" at the top left corner, wouldnt turn off, so I held down the power button to turn it off

I turned it back on again, and all I got was a black screen, no keyboard illumination, and the lights at the front below the touchpad, all that was on was the first one (bulb) battery and lock light at the end

Had to hold down the power button again to turn it off, then turned it on again, this time keyboard lit up, but flashing "_" reappeared :(

Turned off again, this time booted but asked me to boot normally or repair startup so I booted normally, it loaded windows fine, but I used the windows (windows 7) start options button and selected reboot, it switched off, then those three lights at the front again, and nothing else

So, does anyone know what the hell is going on???

Is this going to be a reinstall windows job do you think?

Pepperami, so you have installed Windows 7? Did you delete the recovery partition?

When you installed Windows 7 you changed BIOS settings to boot, did you verify the settings are still set correctly? Asus might have changed them to boot off their drive for service, since you had a non-Asus Windows install on the internal drive.

You could go into the BIOS, and select Set Defaults, set your Windows 7 boot settings, F10, and reboot and see if that helps. You might check the BIOS version / name while you are there too.

Was the laptop shipped without the battery installed? Did it come back charged?

When you get an option to repair again at boot, you should take it :)

Pepperami
07-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Hiya mate

Ok the battery was installed and it was fully charged

What I don't understand is why it booted the first time from my Hard Drive, but after it had switched itself off (sleep or whatever mode) then thats where the problems started

It asked me as well to resume, then it said it wouldn't, and on the next successful boot asked me if I wanted to delete the resume data which I did as it wasn't booting anway

Yeah I deleted the recovery partition, well, installed two new hard drives, and SSD and a 1GB Hybrid, and then installed windows

Laptop is at work at the moment, so when I go in tomorrow early I will try your suggestions first, see what happens, worst case senario is a reinstall of Windows and the drivers, one hour of work for a clean install, there was only a few things installed anyway as it was a present for my birthday, so I can reinstall the BF3 BF4 and the STEAM stuff anyway but hopefully your methods will work without the need to do that ;)

Pepperami
07-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Hey guys

Just an update for you, its going back again :(

Having spoken to ASUS and Let Me Repair (Asus official Warranty repairers) they have decided to RMA it again as it appears there could now be other issues, even though it was tested for a full 24hrs before being returned, they did mention though that it might have had some "Rough Handling" on its way back to me and something may have come loose, so, its being collected tomorrow, here goes another week :(

hmscott
07-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Hey guys

Just an update for you, its going back again :(

Having spoken to ASUS and Let Me Repair (Asus official Warranty repairers) they have decided to RMA it again as it appears there could now be other issues, even though it was tested for a full 24hrs before being returned, they did mention though that it might have had some "Rough Handling" on its way back to me and something may have come loose, so, its being collected tomorrow, here goes another week :(

Pepperami, it sounded like a reinstall/recovery would have fixed the problems you described after it came back from the first RMA, did you try that before RMA'ing this 2nd time?

It sounded like Asus tech had their own Boot drive and tested using that, then pulled it and put your drive back in and didn't bother to boot it again - leaving the BIOS settings and causing the resume you had left over to fail.

If you haven't sent it in yet, try doing an F9 full reset or an Asus Backtracker recovery flash restore.

If you have already sent it, keep this in mind for when you get it back the 2nd time :)

Let us know how it works out!

Pepperami
07-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Hiya mate

I couldnt even get the screen to come on mate, couldnt get it to do anything, no way into bios, no way to F8 or F9 nothing, all it did was access the DVD Drive, thats it :(