PDA

View Full Version : Lucid Introduces UNITY Graphics Board Architecture to Make HYDRA Accessible to All

ottoyu34
08-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Today LucidLogix Technologies (Lucid) announced its arming video card manufacturers with the new Unity graphics board architecture for the HYDRALOGIX engine (previously known as HYDRA). Now graphics board vendors for the first time can combine a single HYDRALOGIX 200 real time distributed processor with any single NVIDIA or ATI GPU, creating an affordable, flexible multi-GPU-ready graphics card that can make any motherboard a high performance gaming system.

Gamers and high performance PC enthusiasts will have even more options to configure multi-GPU systems, which until recently were limited to vendor-exclusive architectures or HYDRALOGIX equipped motherboards. And mainstream graphics users can now buy even a $99 graphics card and upgrade their system in the future with the brand graphics card of their choice.
http://www.techpowerup.com/img/10-08-30/178a.jpg

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/129902/Lucid_Introduces_UNITY_Graphics_Board_Architecture _to_Make_HYDRA_Accessible_to_All.html

xeromist
08-30-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't know how, but I fully expect Nvidia to respond with an anti-competitive road block. At the very least I suspect PowerColor will not be on the Christmas list this year.

On a less pessimistic note, I've been watching Lucid for a while and I really hope they succeed in shaking up the market a bit. Someday I'd like to have a cool & quiet S3 card as my primary GPU and a beastly Nvidia card completely powered off and waiting to do heavy lifting.

ottoyu34
08-30-2010, 08:44 PM
the press is a bit unclear. but I think they mean that you could now not only purchase mobo with a hydra chip to mix & match GPUs. now you get a video card with a hydra chip,
which we have seen should be from Galaxy at CES.

xeromist
08-30-2010, 09:35 PM
the press is a bit unclear. but I think they mean that you could now not only purchase mobo with a hydra chip to mix & match GPUs. now you get a video card with a hydra chip,
which we have seen should be from Galaxy at CES.

Yes, I understand that now the technology is no longer limited to specialized motherboards. Basically the barrier for entry is now slightly lower. I'm just saying that the more this technology becomes available, the more it is going to eat at Nvidia. I think we all know by now that Nvidia does not play well with others. From years of artificial restrictions on SLI compatibility to the senseless backstabbing of its own PhysX customers(who dared to also own ATI) it's the Nvidia way or the highway. It would not shock me in the least to see Nvidia cards go deliberately lame in systems with a detected Lucid chip.

Brian@ASUS
09-01-2010, 08:32 AM
well we should see in the near future of an ROG board with lucid to see some real world performance gains.

xeromist
09-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Sweet! I look forward to that.