PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G750JS need RAM info for Memory Upgrade!

Cocox
07-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi guys!
I bought my gaming laptop 2 months ago. G750JS with 8GB Ram and GTX 870M. I purchased this one as it was intended for running just a few games. Skyrim, Civilization 5, Tropico 4 and 5, World of Tanks, but MOST IMPORTANTLY Kerbal Space Program. Since Kerbal was only on 32bit then I did not need more than 8GB RAM on my rig to run it. But now, Kerbal will be on 64bits. With all the mods for it out there, I'll need at least 24GB.

I am planning to upgrade my rig with an aditional 16GB, so my questions are:

1. What are the specs of the 8GB module installed???

2. What is the best RAM option that will insure best compatibility with the existing RAM?

redduc900
07-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Without opening up the unit, you can use either CPU-Z or HWInfo64 to view the modules part number.

What is the best RAM option that will insure best compatibility with the existing RAM?
The best option would be to buy identical RAM, w/ the same effective DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage.

Maxter
07-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Keep in mind that 16GB is overkill but you DO get bragging rights... You'll never fill 8GB of RAM (I've tried...)

hmscott
07-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Keep in mind that 16GB is overkill but you DO get bragging rights... You'll never fill 8GB of RAM (I've tried...)

Maxter, you may not be trying hard enough ;)

Using a 4GB RAM disk volume + 4GB VM's adds up rather quickly, but you are right - for most people 8G is the current sweet spot.

I did notice a bump in memory performance when adding the 4th SODIMM, going from 24GB to 32gb.

If Cocox has 2 x4G, and adds 2 x 8GB and ends up with 24GB, that will be a nice configuration.

redduc has the right idea, add the same memory make/family for best compatibility.

Cocox, using CPU-Z, check the memory you already have installed and google for the matching 8GB model of the same make. If you are having trouble finding it, please post the model number details here, in text or a snipping tool screen grab of the CPU-Z dialog so we can see it.

You could also read / post in this sticky thread - lots of people have already solved this problem and have posted here:

Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!&p=272284&viewfull=1#post272284

Cocox
07-16-2014, 04:49 AM
It's not about bragging! :)
Kerbal Space Program has a lot of mods available.
At the moment there is a "win64 hack" made by the community for it (not very stable), and with all the mods that I like, I end up using nearly 20GB out of 32GB on my gaming desktop. Since next update will bring official 64bit support, I need the extra memory on my laptop..

Cocox
07-16-2014, 05:59 AM
My existing RAM is the one posted by redduc900. It is on slot 2. I'll try find identical ones.
If not, is there any problem if I install 1.35v, same bus and latency RAM from let's say Corsair or Kingston?

hmscott
07-16-2014, 06:29 AM
My existing RAM is the one posted by redduc900. It is on slot 2. I'll try find identical ones.
If not, is there any problem if I install 1.35v, same bus and latency RAM from let's say Corsair or Kingston?

Cocox, the Hynix memory is 1.28v memory, I haven't seen any Corsair/Kingston/or? 1.28v memory yet. I know typically we try to get the best cheapest 3rd party memory to replace the stock memory, but in this case the stock memory runs at a lower voltage - and draws less power and generates less heat - than any 3rd party memory we can get.

If you want to replace all 4 SODIMM's there are a couple of good 2133mhz/1866mhz memory - make sure it is SPD 1.35v - that shows a bit of an improvement in memory related benchmarks, but hardly enough to justify the cost and trouble in replacing all 4 SODIMM's.

G750 Haswell Boards Support 2133MHz SODIMM's
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47957-G750-Haswell-Boards-Support-2133MHz-SODIMM-s

If you have access to savings on 3rd party memory you can't pass up, make sure it is 1.35v SPD memory - not "tested at 1.35v but has 1.5v SPD set" as it will run at 1.5v in the G750 - we don't have fine control over memory settings in the G750 BIOS - and can't override the SPD settings.

Here is an example, starting here in the sticky thread - Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!&p=404154&viewfull=1#post404154

The Cosair Vengeance memory says it is 1.35v in the marketing speak copy, but in the specs it spells out that it has a 1.5v SPD setting, but is tested as working at 1.35v.

Kingston might work, I think I recall someone posting that the PNY memory they got at Best Buy worked, and they saved a few bucks :)

If you try some non Hynix memory, let us know how it works out.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!&p=404154&viewfull=1#post404154