PDA

View Full Version : G750 JX - Hinge failure after 3 months

filbee
07-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Title says it all - left hand hinge lifted away from body of laptop and after only 3 months, this "gamers" machine is playing 0 games while the RMA and repair is actioned. For some reason it takes two weeks (estimated) to fix this.

Needless to say I am NOT impressed as a first time ROG brand buyer and will be recommending others steer well clear of ASUS. Not only has a premium machine failed miserably but the repair process is pants.

Anyone know a manufacturer who can be relied upon? Grrrr......

Darnassus
07-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Prostar Computer
07-15-2014, 10:32 PM
You'd be looking at a similar turnaround time from many other major OEMs, but that is tragic that the hinge broke. Maybe one of the retaining clips snapped off. Those are pretty fragile on all laptops.

Wr3ckloose
07-15-2014, 10:57 PM
the thing is, people all over the web complain about this brand having so many issues and others still buy them. i was one of them and my JZ fell apart after two weeks. all kinds of stuff happened and the gpu failed. i immediately took it back and my replacement is solid.

people need to put these ROG laptops threw the ringer early so any flaws will be exposed in time to return and replace.

also, i see that allot of people abuse their laptops and run all kinds of programs and overclocking blah etc, treating it like its some kind of custom build desktop, smh.

at least yours is a hinge and not something really serious.

hmscott
07-15-2014, 11:46 PM
the thing is, people all over the web complain about this brand having so many issues and others still buy them. i was one of them and my JZ fell apart after two weeks. all kinds of stuff happened and the gpu failed. i immediately took it back and my replacement is solid.

people need to put these ROG laptops threw the ringer early so any flaws will be exposed in time to return and replace.

also, i see that allot of people abuse their laptops and run all kinds of programs and overclocking blah etc, treating it like its some kind of custom build desktop, smh.

at least yours is a hinge and not something really serious.

Wr3ckloose, that is the way to work it, test early, return until you get a good one, and fix problems right away after that, don't let problems get found outside the return period - find them in the first few days.

Stressing the components to the max of their intended purpose and making sure it stays stable is the way to get the issues found and then resolved early.

Even so you will get failures later on, not from abuse, but from normal use. It isn't so much the OC that causes the problem as it makes the problem surface sooner - an extension of finding the problems early on.

The CPU OC available on the i7-4700HQ through the Intel XTU program is unlocking the designed limits, not going beyond them. Intel reserved those multipliers for users to unlock on machines that have the extra cooling necessary - and the G750 has that.

The GPU OC that is given through the Asus GPU Tweak Tool for laptops is limited by the application and the GPU vbios, it is there to allow the user to find the optimal performance point for their particular GPU and use profile. The worst you will have happen is for the GPU OC to cause the driver to fail and need to be restarted while tuning in the optimal performance of the Core / Memory clock.

Optimizing the performance of the CPU / GPU isn't abuse :)

Asus may have flubbed the JX/JM/JS/JZ cooling on some production runs, so you want to test and find out if you have one of those. There should be no thermal throttling on G750's CPU even with the multi's unlocked. That was the case all through last year, from release of the JW/JX/JH - but there have been production batches of the JX and the new JM/JS/JZ that have cooling issues - so you want to test and find those problems right away.

Your observation about use as abuse is a mistaken impression on your part, they aren't abusing their laptops, they are using them as they need to use them - as they should be able to - they shouldn't need to baby the G750 - and testing to make sure you don't need to is part of the process of acceptance - who wants to keep a laptop that doesn't do what you need it to do?

I have been through full use of a JW/JX and now a JH, and I can tell you when it is built and working as designed, the G750 can take 100% use for long periods of time without a hiccup. And that should be everyone's experience, and expectation when they purchase a G750.

To allow, and accept anything less, is sending the wrong message to Asus, and other manufacturers. :)

hmscott
07-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Title says it all - left hand hinge lifted away from body of laptop and after only 3 months, this "gamers" machine is playing 0 games while the RMA and repair is actioned. For some reason it takes two weeks (estimated) to fix this.

Needless to say I am NOT impressed as a first time ROG brand buyer and will be recommending others steer well clear of ASUS. Not only has a premium machine failed miserably but the repair process is pants.

Anyone know a manufacturer who can be relied upon? Grrrr......

filbee, that sucks, and it is the first I recall seeing such a failure for a G750, sorry you had to go through that, it shouldn't normally happen.

What sucks more is you are soured on Asus/G750, and you would be missing out on a great machine - when you get a good one - which happens a lot more than these forums would have you believe -they work great and last a long time, so keep trying :)

I have had 3 good G750's in a row, a JW, a JX, and now a JH, so I can tell you from experience that these are great laptops - I hope when you get yours back, and you use it for a while, you will gain the same appreciation.

All the laptop manufacturers have production issues, on all product lines, it is part of modern life - for me for many years now - being positive about the process and not letting emotions get entangled in the problems helps to gain the perspective needed to work through to a positive outcome.

Be positive and debug intelligently and work toward a successful conclusion - and don't give up, ever :)

Wr3ckloose
07-16-2014, 08:29 PM
The CPU OC available on the i7-4700HQ through the Intel XTU program is unlocking the designed limits, not going beyond them. Intel reserved those multipliers for users to unlock on machines that have the extra cooling necessary - and the G750 has that.

agreed, but most people dont know what they are doing. also, check out you tube. i see kids taking their rog laptop and, well, "abusing" it. opening it with one had and losing their grip and it slams down on the table. slamming the lid shut. i bet some of them are on these forums asking for help, lol have you seen the forum posts on here!!?? i mean really stupid questions going on here. ok, tweak the damn thing but, some of the stuff people are trying to do is ridiculous. also, power4gear in high performance mode will clock your cpu to a steady 3.24 ghz. serious question, and ive read that this processor on the JZ can be oc to about 3.40ghz. will that even make a difference? and i know the JZ has an awesome cooling system but imo, its not that good. just good for a laptop.

hmscott
07-17-2014, 05:06 AM
agreed, but most people dont know what they are doing. also, check out you tube. i see kids taking their rog laptop and, well, "abusing" it. opening it with one had and losing their grip and it slams down on the table. slamming the lid shut. i bet some of them are on these forums asking for help, lol have you seen the forum posts on here!!?? i mean really stupid questions going on here. ok, tweak the damn thing but, some of the stuff people are trying to do is ridiculous. also, power4gear in high performance mode will clock your cpu to a steady 3.24 ghz. serious question, and ive read that this processor on the JZ can be oc to about 3.40ghz. will that even make a difference? and i know the JZ has an awesome cooling system but imo, its not that good. just good for a laptop.

Wr3ckloose, we all have different perspectives, and having been at this for a very long time, I have gone through the judgmental stage of others long ago, and see it all instead as a continuum of shared experience with various branches and sub-eddies that people flow through - many times other than my own personal experience, some times confusing to me - most of the time a shared experience remembrance that lets me empathize predict the next and future results of their actions, and help them avoid disasters - large and small :)

I have been very fortunate to have had direct hardware and software access from a very early age, and ongoing for many years from an engineering and production manufacturing hands on as well as large deployments of systems - in the 10k's over many years.

It takes a lot to surprise me, but not much to tickle my funny bone - in a good way - empathizing with sincere and motivated new pioneers in this recurring and blossoming world of inter-connectivity :)

Do I cringe when I see dangerous actions and missteps, yes, but I remember my own mistakes and pushes past my then current understanding to break through to a full grasp of what is going on.

The physical over reaches are how some people push through those understanding barriers, and push through their own mental and physical blocks - so I don't mind replacing hardware if it went for a good cause :)

The JZ, and the JM/JS/JW/JX/JH all have the best cooling systems in a laptop available - so far - taking into account the silence they provide as compared to other systems that are noisier.

The Intel multipliers that are default, are meant to protect against the heat load resulting from an under achieving cooler. Are you familiar with the OEM coolers Intel bundles with high end desktop CPU's? That is the level of under achievement I am speaking of; the default multi's are for that default cooling.

The G750 CPU cooling is good enough, better in fact, than is needed to cool the CPU at Intel Extreme Tuning Utility unlocked multi's for the i7-4700HQ => 36x/35x/34x/34x for the 4 Cores and 36x for the CPU Cache - coupled with under-volting the CPU it is safe to run at 100% CPU for long periods without a problem.

There are some production runs, and individual variants, of the G750 cooling that run too hot. But, for the most part the G750 runs the CPU cooler than I have seen in other high end laptops. :)

So for those of you slamming the lid, one handing the 12lb laptop, and popping the bottom access bay like it is a cork, please STOP!!

You are making Wr3ckloose uncomfortable... :)

tru.kirby
07-17-2014, 05:48 AM
I'll try.