PDA

View Full Version : Intel 6230 and Wireless Console 3

JRd1st
10-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Last week I installed an Intel 6230 WiFi/Bluetooth combo card. Everything went smoothly except the card and connections are a bit too small for my clumsy fingers. I actually needed to use a loupe to see so I could line up the tiny antenna connectors. :o

Anyway, after getting the drivers installed and making sure it works, I tried Wireless Console 3 to see if it would be able to control the WiFi and Bluetooth like it worked with the Atheros card. It works fine with the WiFi, but doesn't even see the Bluetooth. :(

I uninstalled the WC3 program and reinstalled it and still it sees and controls the WiFi but not the Bluetooth.

Any ideas on how to get this working? I don't mind going into the registry. In the meanwhile I'll keep looking for an answer.

fixitchris
11-14-2011, 03:21 PM
How does the WC3 work? It just sits in the tray...

fixitchris
11-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Have you looked at Process Monitor to see what registry and files are being hit when you toggle Bt ?

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 03:25 PM
If you DBL-Click it it will allow you to disable your WiFi with an animated graphic. It also provides the animation for the Fn+f2 key. It also does the same on the Bluetooth if you have the original card. It only works on the WiFi for me. I use it because most of the time I use an external keyboard and don't have the Asus Fn keys.

fixitchris
11-14-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm looking at ProcessMonitor and here is what happens when I enable BT through console3.

1. wcourier.exe crates a new thread.
2. c:\program files (x86)\bluetooth suite\adminservice.exe creates a new thread.
3. c:\program files (x86)\bluetooth suite\ath_coexagent.exe creates a new thread.
4. hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\bthport is read by adminservice.exe.
5. some Atheros registry keys are hit.
6. There is a btvstack.exe and athbttray.exe that also access some registry.

I think what happens is wcourier utilizes WMI to enable/disable the BT.

I would like to see what your ProcessMonitor dump looks like since you're the odd ball here. You can include all processes in the dump, I can sort through them.

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Which ProcessMonitor, the one from SysInternals? It goes on forever, and the one in TaskMgr doesn't change when I start BT. Must be in the services list.

BTW, oddball? How did you know?!? lol

fixitchris
11-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Yes the one from Sysinternals. Post the dump or email it to me. Capture the disabling of BT in a separate dump and enabling of BT in another.

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 05:25 PM
How am I supposed to send you 300Mb?

EDIT, I'll see if Dropbox will accept it. :rolleyes:

Edit2, Wow it really compressed down with 7-Zip. lol Look in your PM's

fixitchris
11-14-2011, 05:29 PM
sent you pm.

Verruckt
11-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh, didn't know about that.
My Intel 6230 is about to arrive tho.

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 05:32 PM
I already replied. :D

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Oh, didn't know about that.
My Intel 6230 is about to arrive tho.
The card works very well, so don't worry about Wireless Console 3. :thumbsup:

fixitchris
11-14-2011, 06:16 PM
blah, i don't see anything glaring.

It looks like wcourier.exe does interface with the devmonsrv.exe, which looks like the replacement of Atheros' Btvstack.exe. I do see that on enable 'hklm/software/intel/bluetooth/btmhsf/enablehs' is set to 1 as well as 'notifyhs' is set to 1.

Then I see your mediasrv.exe kicking in, which is replacement of Atheros' ath_coexagent.exe.

I see that my laptop uses the c:\program files (x86)\bluetooth suite\adminservice.exe heavily in this BT toggle process.

I'm curious if you disable the BT through Intel's interface, does Wireless Console actually enable BT ?

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Wireless Console 3 doesn't see my Intel BT at all as far as I know.

fixitchris
11-14-2011, 06:49 PM
The only way for me to figure this one out is if I get this card myself.

What's the benefit?

ScottinSoCal
11-14-2011, 09:07 PM

What's the benefit?

5GHz operation, definitely, and multiple reports of better reception/range. Mine is here today and I'm installing it this evening.

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 09:23 PM

What's the benefit?
I'm thinkin' of uninstalling it.

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm thinkin' of uninstalling it.
Because of the WC3 issue?

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I meant uninstalling WC3. Lol

Why is it that windows won't automatically switch from wireless to lan when lan is available? I could.swear it used to do that...

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I've noticed that, too. It appears to have a default wireless bias now. I have to turn wireless off to get it to use the LAN connection.

fixitchris
11-16-2011, 01:56 PM
It should do that, my work laptop does do it.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Maybe because you still have the Atheros card? :D

Verruckt
11-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Guys, I just got an Intel 6230 today and when I install its drivers, it says 'The device cannot be started (code 10)' at Device Manager.
Any ideas?

Antigen
11-19-2011, 12:04 AM
I got the 6230 aswell. installed it weeks ago and it fixed all the problems i had with the notebook. I also noticed you cant use the console to switch BT off. On my laptop its always switched on, and I don't really mind that.
Very easy and cheap upgrade!

ScottinSoCal
11-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Guys, I just got an Intel 6230 today and when I install its drivers, it says 'The device cannot be started (code 10)' at Device Manager.
Any ideas?

Did you remember to remove the Atheros driver before you installed the new card? I didn't and it took several reboots and futzing before I could get it removed. The other thing that caused me problems was an unclear Intel site to download. The first download said it was for the 6230 but only included the bluetooth drivers. What finally worked was getting the right driver from the Intel site (it's 49MB) removing all the wireless and bluetooth drivers then installing the Intel stuff. After that it came right up and worked beautifully.

Oh - the first thing that caused me problems was getting the new card lined up. That worked out by using an angled needlenose plier to get it positioned properly.

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Did you remember to remove the Atheros driver before you installed the new card? I didn't and it took several reboots and futzing before I could get it removed. The other thing that caused me problems was an unclear Intel site to download. The first download said it was for the 6230 but only included the bluetooth drivers. What finally worked was getting the right driver from the Intel site (it's 49MB) removing all the wireless and bluetooth drivers then installing the Intel stuff. After that it came right up and worked beautifully.

Oh - the first thing that caused me problems was getting the new card lined up. That worked out by using an angled needlenose plier to get it positioned properly.

Align it wasn't a problem for me, but I didn't remove the Atheros drivers, btw the Bluetooth worked, only the Wi-Fi didn't.
I'll try it right now and give a feedback here asap.

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Didn't work, same error, the Bluetooth works tho.
Weird.
Any more ideas?

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 01:29 AM
What driver are you installing?

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Tried both software+driver and driver only, v14.2.0.10, v14.1.1, v14.0.0.0.

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 02:12 AM
Btw, looked at event logs:

The \Device\NDMP8 service entered the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 state.

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 : Could not allocate the resources necessary for operation.

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 : The version number is incorrect for this driver.

The description for Event ID 5010 from source NETwNs64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP8
Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 02:47 AM
I had sort of the same problem because I forgot to.uninstall the Atheros drivers from hell while the card was still in.
Uninstall the Intel drivers. Remove the card and put the Atheros back in. (Don't worry about the antennas) Install the Atheros drivers. Restart. Now you're gonna go huh? Uninstall the atheros drivers. Swap the cards again, install intel.

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 03:00 AM
I had sort of the same problem because I forgot to.uninstall the Atheros drivers from hell while the card was still in.
Uninstall the Intel drivers. Remove the card and put the Atheros back in. (Don't worry about the antennas) Install the Atheros drivers. Restart. Now you're gonna go huh? Uninstall the atheros drivers. Swap the cards again, install intel.

So in the order:

Uninstall the Intel drivers
Remove the Intel card
Restart
Put Atheros back in
Install the Atheros drivers
Restart
Uninstall Atheros drivers
Restart
Swap cards and install Intel drivers

Thats it?

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 03:35 AM
That's how I did it. Pain in the ass.

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 04:05 AM
And what driver version are you using btw?

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 08:55 AM
The latest on Intel's site.

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Didn't work, same thing.
I'm taking pics of the card in a min, give me an opinion if u think it's genuine or not.

Btw now my damn Atheros Bluetooth doesn't work anymore lol.

Error reported by the Bluetooth Module at device manager:
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Your Atheros BT won't work with the Intel card in there. The Atheros BT is ON the Atheros Wifi card, you know?

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Yea I know, I mean I'm using the Atheros card and my BT stopped working, understand?
Weird I know.

AND when I have the Intel card on, the Intel bluetooth works, only the Wi-Fi doesn't.

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Put the Intel card back and without installing the wifi or bt drivers reinstall the chipset drivers fron a dos box with the -overall switch. Then install the intel drivers after a restart.

Are you also trying to turn the intel WIFI on with wireless console 3? That program can screw everything up if it's installed and not used to turn the wifi on/off

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Put the Intel card back and without installing the wifi or bt drivers reinstall the chipset drivers fron a dos box with the -overall switch. Then install the intel drivers after a restart.

Are you also trying to turn the intel WIFI on with wireless console 3? That program can screw everything up if it's installed and not used to turn the wifi on/off

No, actually I uninstalled the Wireless Console 3 before everything cause I've seen people with Intel 6230 having problems with it.
I'll try reinstalling the chipset drivers tonight and let you know what happened.

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Pics of the Intel card:
Btw my Atheros BT is back on, I had to sort the drivers but it's back on.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6820/photo2ccr.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/photo2ccr.jpg/)
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3346/photo1zon.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/photo1zon.jpg/)

Verruckt
11-20-2011, 04:08 AM
Just tried what you said, didn't work, same error, This device cannot start.
Here's what I did:
Uninstalled Atheros drivers, took off the Atheros card, installed Intel card, reinstalled Intel chipset drivers with the -overall in DOS, restarted, installed Intel Wi-Fi drivers.

What I still think is weird is that the Intel card's Bluetooth works, that means the card is 'working'.
I'll take the factory HDD that came with the laptop tomorrow and try a clean Windows install since I'm not using it and try installing the card on it, if it fails, I'll return it.
Too bad I live in Brazil tho, took that card 3 weeks to arrive from the day I purchased it at Amazon.

Verruckt
11-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Ok I'm done, tried installing it in a clean Windows 7 install, tried lots of different drivers, even v13.5, nothing worked, all gave the same error.
Yet the Bluetooth worked...

Any suggestion for another wi-fi+bt card?

JRd1st
11-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Same one. That's the one I have and it works fine. Send yours back and get it replaced. :shrug:

Did you try using wireless console 3 to turn it on?

ScottinSoCal
11-20-2011, 02:45 PM
I can also verify the 6230 is compatible with the G74SX. I'm using it on mine and it's great - better reception than the Atheros it replaced.

Verruckt
11-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Same one. That's the one I have and it works fine. Send yours back and get it replaced. :shrug:

Did you try using wireless console 3 to turn it on?

Yea, not on the clean install but I did in the one I'm using right now and didn't even popup any 'WLAN / BT' animation.

JRd1st
11-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Well. you need to have ATK Package 1.0.0014 installed, too.

Verruckt
11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Yea, I do have it installed.

Verruckt
11-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Just no luck, I'll return it tomorrow and pray to find any store in Brazil selling a decent Wi-Fi card or any International store shipping to Brazil.

Verruckt
11-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Returned it last week and another one arrived today, worked like a charm in the first try.
BUT I still got weak signal reception.
Wondering if I should change my wi-fi antennas.
Where does the wi-fi antenna go to? Behind the LCD perhaps?

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 05:46 PM
How far away from the router are you? I get a strong signal in my house . . .

Verruckt
11-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Well, like 3 meters away, and sometimes it gets a 4/5 bars signal. No walls or anything in the path.
Comparing to my mom's HP G42 (pretty basic notebook), while I'm at her bedroom with both notebooks, mine gets 2/5 bars signal (sometimes 1/5 bars) and her HP gets the same 5/5 bars signal.
I go like 'how is that possible?'

While my notebook detects 3 wireless connections nearby, her notebook detects 11.

ScottinSoCal
11-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Comparing to my mom's HP G42 (pretty basic notebook), while I'm at her bedroom with both notebooks, mine gets 2/5 bars signal (sometimes 1/5 bars) and her HP gets the same 5/5 bars signal.

If you've got two computers sitting side by side and one is getting that much stronger signal, there's something else going on, like damaged antennas. If you've run the two computers at different times, it could be occasional interference - there are a lot of things that run in the same frequency as WiFi.

And yes, the antennas run up into the display panel.

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Well, like 3 meters away, and sometimes it gets a 4/5 bars signal. No walls or anything in the path.
I go like 'how is that possible?'

While my notebook detects 3 wireless connections nearby, her notebook detects 11.
I think it's likely to be a settings issue. Make sure the Advanced tab settings are correct. Here are some basic ones to check:

802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4: Auto
802.11n Channel Width for band 5.2: Auto
802.11n MOde: Enabled
Fat Channel Intolerant: Disabled
Preferred band: 2.4Ghz
Wireless Mode: 802.11g

Beyond that, I'd suggest disabling Internet Protocol Version 6, move your SSID to the top if you have multiple wireless networks in the "Manage Wireless Networks" list, and making sure your router isn't continually de-authorizing that laptop's connection. And of course, double-check that you got the antennas firmly seated on their little posts.

PS: My suggestions assume you're running an 802.11n network on the 2.4Ghz band, like most people are these days. If your network is different, let me know and I'll change some of those suggestions above.

Verruckt
11-30-2011, 08:21 PM
@ScottinSoCal
Yea, I've tried both laptops side by side at the same time and one by one at different times, same thing, no change.

@BrodyBoy
Yea that was the first thing I've done after installing my Intel 6230.
Only difference was the Preffered band and Wireless Mode (was 802.11a/b/g).
You're correct, I'm running an 802.11n on 2.4GHz on a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router set on Channel 13 (no networks near this channel around)

That's why I'm wondering about the antennas...
Any suggestions?

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 08:33 PM
You're correct, I'm running an 802.11n on 2.4GHz on a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router set on Channel 13 (no networks near this channel around)

That's why I'm wondering about the antennas...
Any suggestions?

You could disconnect them and take a close look to make sure nothing got bent or damaged when you swapped cards. Repeatedly taking them on/off the card posts can cause the connector to get a little loose...I use a tweezer or small pliers to squeeze them....very gently!....to ensure that they have a tight, positive fit on the card posts.

Also, take a look at your router's log and see if anything shows up there to suggest a problem with that one connection. You might consider setting it to "Auto Scan" rather than locking it to one channel, and to setting channel width to "Auto 20/40" as well.

Regarding your earlier question about where the antennas are located: They are routed through a hole in the M/B and then go up along one of the hinges into the LCD panel. The card is actually well-located in the G74, compared to many laptops. RAM and CPU/GPU create a noisy wireless environment and placing the card close to them can noticeably degrade performance. Yet many models do exactly that. The G74 puts the card way over to the side, and though the cables sort of pass over the GPU area, they are also short (that's good) and take a direct route to the lid.

Verruckt
12-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Just looked at the connectors, they look perfectly fine.
Tried cleaning them with alcohol, didn't help that much...

BrodyBoy
12-01-2011, 12:15 AM
That kind of takes you back to settings then....either in the router or in the Intel driver. Which driver are you using? Directly from Intel or one of the ones Asus provides? (Also, that's a 6230, right? Do you have the BT radio turned on?)

Verruckt
12-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Yup, I'm using the 14.2.0.10 directly from Intel website.
May be the antennas perhaps? well it came this way, out of the box, with the Atheros, with this weak signal...
And yea, the BT is turned on cause I'm using a Razer Orochi mouse on BT.

BrodyBoy
12-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Anyway, after getting the drivers installed and making sure it works, I tried Wireless Console 3 to see if it would be able to control the WiFi and Bluetooth like it worked with the Atheros card. It works fine with the WiFi, but doesn't even see the Bluetooth. :(
Jr,

I realize you've probably long-since given up on this, but I thought I'd share something I stumbled across tonight. If you're still interested in trying to get WC3 working with both the WLAN and BT in your 6230, I'd love to hear if this is the solution. (I'd test it myself if I could, of course, but I don't have that card.)

I was looking into a bunch of wireless drivers tonight....comparing differences, configurations, etc. It became obvious was that there are several ways to install/update drivers for combo cards....just the WLAN part, just the BT part, or both, using the combo drivers that Asus "packages."

Then something popped out at me. The bluetooth component, when packaged by Asus, includes a setup configuration file that the manufacturers' drivers do not. This files include references to switches, LEDs, and "BTAGENT," which I suspect may be your missing taskbar icon.

So....I'm thinking that you could update just the BT driver with the latest version posted by Asus, and hopefully get those missing functions you wanted. I believe this Bluetooth_Intel Rainbow_Peak (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Bluetooth/Bluetooth_Intel_RainbowPeak_Win7_64_Z108120584.zip ) driver, dated 2011-11-18, would be the one you want. (Rainbow Peak is the Intel codename for the 6230.)

Alternatively, I'm even more certain that the latest Asus-provided Raindow Peak package should work, if it turns out there's something in the WLAN or combo installer that the BT config needs.

Let me know if you decide to try it out.

JRd1st
12-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Good idea! I'll Acronis my system and then try it!

BrodyBoy
12-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Good idea! I'll Acronis my system and then try it!
Cool! Let me know how it goes.

Note: Asus posts a lot of Intel BT drivers.....I cited the Rainbow Peak because that's your card. But I don't know which others may apply.

JRd1st
12-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Wasn't 28.8kb/sec one of the old modem speeds? That's the speed I'm getting for this download. Another of Asus's idiosyncrasies . . . rofl

BrodyBoy
12-01-2011, 10:56 AM
C'mon now, they've upgraded! See all those cables? In response to customer complaints, they've added a second line:

JRd1st
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
It didn't work. I uninstalled my BT drivers, restart, installed the Rainbow peak ones, restart, installed WC3, restart tried it and it just shows the WLAN, still. I'm going to take apart the atheros BT driver and see if there's something in there . . .

BTW, this all caused a slower boot. Maybe WC3 was trying to reconcile why anyone would want Intel BT over Atheros. rofl . . . :D

wanfeilwong
12-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm using the BT driver below right now and BT still doesn't work with WC3. It's not as annoying a problem I thought it would be because originally I thought that WC3 would still display the BT icon, it just wouldn't be functional. That would've annoyed the hell outta me.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Bluetooth/Blutooth_Intel_Win7_64_Z1210608.zip

JRd1st
12-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I wonder if Asus released ANY Intel bt drivers tkat WC3 works wth?

BrodyBoy
12-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Shoot! I'm sorry to hear that. I was sure that would do the trick. :(

I was picking apart a whole bunch of drivers last night....I could swear I found a similar config file in an Intel driver that I did in Atheros. I'll try to trace my steps and see if I can find which one it was.

In the Atheros BT driver, here is an example of the config file:

[PVID]
PID=3304
vid=13D3

[Side_Switch_Config]
;#### PIN_index ####
;#### the range of value (8~30 or 32~37) ####
PIN_index=36

;#### Enable ####
;#### 1 or 0 ####
Enable=1

;#### High_Enable ####
;#### 1 or 0 ####
High_Enable=1

[Led_Config]
;#### PIN_index ####
;#### the range of value (8~30 or 31~37) ####
PIN_Index=23

;#### Blinking_Enable ####
;#### 1 or 0 ####
Blinking_Enable=1

;#### High_Enable ####
;#### 1 or 0 ####
High_Enable=0

;#### Suspend_off_Enable ####
;#### 1 or 0 ####
Suspend_off_Enable=1

;#### Separate_LED_Enable ####
;#### 1 or 0 ####
Separate_LED=1

[Suspend_CONfig]

;#### Enable ####
;#### 1 or 0 ####
Enable=0

[USB_ADPTER_NAME]
value="NoForceReset"

[BTAGENT]
Enable=1

JRd1st
12-01-2011, 07:15 PM
I saw that. You know, even the Intel BTdrivers on the G74sx page don't do it for WC3.

backyardpyro
12-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Just curious, but after reading this whole thread i haven't decided if you all have come to a "working" conclusion. I have the best buy g74sx and want to switch the Intel WiMax card out for the 2630.

If i do this, could someone sum up the "best" method? Just whatever gets Bluetooth and WiFi working properly.

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Just uninstall your present wifi drivers. Then remove your wimax card and install the 6230 and then the drivers. That's the normal course of events and I see no reason for it to be different for you. :D

Boosted_R
12-05-2011, 01:19 AM
not sure if I missed it reading all the posts....... Can I get rid of WC3 and still have bluetooth and Wifi working ? (asking because going to pick up 6230 in a week or two)

Also any specific 6230 drivers you guys recommend ?

Thanks

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:26 AM
not sure if I missed it reading all the posts....... Can I get rid of WC3 and still have bluetooth and Wifi working ? (asking because going to pick up 6230 in a week or two)

Also any specific 6230 drivers you guys recommend ?

Thanks
Yes, absolutely. WC3 is just an interface.

Boosted_R
12-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Yes, absolutely. WC3 is just an interface.

Sweet, trying to eliminate as much atheros and asus software possible lol...... as they are the main down falls of this laptop

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 04:17 AM
The only Asus software you actually need is the ATK driver.

vhuynh
01-09-2012, 04:04 AM
After reading through all the posts, I am planning to buy the intel card on amazon. It's my first time and you guys mention antennas. Do I just uninstall atheros and take out atheros card, then install intel drivers on the the intel website and then plug in the intel card? I've read around the forums and on amazon that recent buyers of the card specifically said to MAKE SURE to install the intel drivers before plugging the intel card into your laptop. Just being careful and making sure. Thank you.

Boosted_R
01-09-2012, 05:45 AM
After reading through all the posts, I am planning to buy the intel card on amazon. It's my first time and you guys mention antennas. Do I just uninstall atheros and take out atheros card, then install intel drivers on the the intel website and then plug in the intel card? I've read around the forums and on amazon that recent buyers of the card specifically said to MAKE SURE to install the intel drivers before plugging the intel card into your laptop. Just being careful and making sure. Thank you.

uninstall atheros drivers, remove card..... install intel card, then install intel drivers....... If you are going with the intel 6230, the drivers are on the drivers tread make by JRd1st. Good Luck

BrodyBoy
01-09-2012, 07:29 AM
The driver won't install if it doesn't find an Intel card in your machine....so you have to put the card in first.

Yes, you can just download the latest version directly from Intel.

vhuynh
01-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Alright simple enough lol. But got two more questions, do I need to open any screws to get the atheros card out and and how many screws are needed to secure the intel card? And I just have my g74sx for about 2 months. It is safe to use my air cleaning can to remove dust while replacing my the atheros card? lol sorry, I'm a newbie at this stuff. Thanks for the advice!

xeromist
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM
The cards are secured with screws. I don't know how many.

Yes, it is safe to use compressed air to clean dust. Ideally you want to aim it in such a way that the dust gets blown out rather than settling back on components. If you can't do that then it shouldn't be a big deal since just breaking it up and moving the dust should cause most of it to exit and the rest that settles won't build up enough if you clean it regularly.

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 02:23 AM
The cards are secured with screws. I don't know how many.
In the G74, there's just one screw that secures the WLAN card.