PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G750JS AUOB173HW02 V1 Faint Vertical Lines

IceEdelweiss
07-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Hi All,

I would like to know whether u guys experience this kind of phenomenon with AUO B173HW02 V1 matte screen.
If you guys set ur desktop wallpaper for this kind of image below:

http://hdfons.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Japanese-Hiccup-Dragon-from-How-to-Train-Your-Dragon-Wallpaper.jpg

Can you see any faint vertical lines on the blue sky part, especially on the right part of the screen. (under its wings)

Just want to verify that this is normal.

Thanks!

hmscott
07-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Hi All,
I would like to know whether u guys experience this kind of phenomenon with AUO B173HW02 V1 matte screen.
If you guys set ur desktop wallpaper for this kind of image below:
http://hdfons.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Japanese-Hiccup-Dragon-from-How-to-Train-Your-Dragon-Wallpaper.jpg
Can you see any faint vertical lines on the blue sky part, especially on the right part of the screen. (under its wings)
Just want to verify that this is normal.
Thanks!

IceEdelweiss, I have a G750JH with the AUO screen. Here are 2 closeup photo's of my screen with the jpg viewed through irfanview

This one with the jpg set as the desktop :)

braxxx
07-16-2014, 05:02 PM
Hi IceEdelwiss. i also have a G750js, i see the same thing on my display. i own an older g75vw and the display is far more better than than my g750js but i guess this is normal.

IceEdelweiss
07-16-2014, 10:48 PM
@hmscott, so far from my observation, your G750JH does not have this kind of phenomenon right?

From what I've observed, these vertical lines are caused by the grid effect of the pixels. Either maybe the distance between each column of the pixels are not uniform, non-uniform backlight or the anitglare coating can cause this thing.

How about others? Do you guys observe the same thing with G750JS model?

Thanks braxxx for the confirmation! :D

hmscott
07-16-2014, 11:11 PM
@hmscott, so far from my observation, your G750JH does not have this kind of phenomenon right?

Thanks braxxx for the confirmation! :D

IceEdelweiss, my JH with the AUO and my JW and JX with Chi Mei have all been line free.

braxx or IceEdelweiss, can you please post screen photo's showing the lines?

braxxx
07-16-2014, 11:27 PM

here is my screen shot of the same photo from IceEdelweiss.

braxxx
07-17-2014, 12:01 AM

here is another shot of the image, it seems to be the same with hmscott's pics. its really faint or i'm just being critical to my laptop(it being new and expensive)? anyways, i'm still loving the machine. planning to under volt to shave off some celsius.

IceEdelweiss
07-17-2014, 12:37 AM
yeap.. if u can see below Hiccup's (armpit), you can see the vertical lines.. my friends observed it also, but I think it's just the way the screen built. Well, I hope ASUS will find better manufacturer for its screen (LG maybe?). G750 is a good machine, the screen is the only weak factor. Well, still waiting for other G750JS users though. :D

IceEdelweiss
07-17-2014, 11:13 AM
any other response?

broadleaf
07-17-2014, 04:42 PM
The screen is bad.
You eather get AUO with vertical lines but good color/contrast etc which i really like(and responce time)
or you get chi-mei that produces flickering and checkerboard effect which imo is even worse.
Some people can't see any of this.
Im professional digital artist and i can see this.
Deal with it/thread (you will never get any official response here)

KoolASUS
07-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Hi IceEdelweiss, I suppose you've search the forum here and seen that there are many threads about the "AUO vertical lines".

HMScott won't see them because he has upgraded the Nvidia drivers. You can always try it; it's up to you to decide if you like the result better. (the lines are gone but there is another "grid" effect. See the threads on this forum) . Asus has recently updated the "official" drivers for the first G750 series to 337.88

Personally, I have a G750JH. I'm still on stock 311.83 drivers. I have the same screen as you. I see the lines sometimes. You must understand that they are very "color settings"-dependent.
For example, I see no lines on your wall-paper dragon image.

But I see some on these pages : https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers OR http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/180-pc/ , in SOME of the GREY shades.

My current brightness is at approx. 75%

in the Nvidia Color Settings, I have :

Red : +40 Luminosity , +50 Contrast, 0.80 Gamma, default, default
Green : +37 Luminosity , +50 Contrast, 0.80 Gamma, default, default
Blue : +42 Luminosity , +50 Contrast, 0.80 Gamma, default, default

My ICC profile is G750JH_10DE_AF06219D.icm, 15/05/2013, 4064 bytes (but I believe ICC profiles don't apply in games, anyway : works only for the desktop)

Ah, and it's not the screen : it's the laptop : Alienwares have the very same AUO screen, and people don't complain about this. (moreover, if you change the screen, the issue is still there)

As Broadleaf says : you have to decide if you can live with it. If not, return the laptop or sell it. ASUS will never answer.

The easiest thing would be to try to find a "better" gamma/brightness setting. My screen is sometimes a bit dark, but my actual setting seems to help.

hmscott
07-17-2014, 05:34 PM
...HMScott won't see them because he has upgraded the Nvidia drivers. You can always try it; it's up to you to decide if you like the result better. (the lines are gone but there is another "grid" effect. See the threads on this forum) . Asus has recently updated the "official" drivers for the first G750 series to 337.88...

KoolASUS, no, I have never seen the lines, and I have posted pictures in the past of my JW/JX screens too, and all predate the current drivers. If upgrading the drivers made the lines disappear, then I would have noticed them before and missing after, and I didn't :)

IceEdelweiss
07-18-2014, 12:39 AM
I believe it is not a driver issue. I have updated the GeForce drivers to the recent one, and I still can see the pattern. It's more on the hardware. I think the screen production is not so well controlled. I mean, the left side of the panel seems fine (no vertical lines whatsoever), but as it goes to the right side, the vertical lines become more apparent (you can try to switch the wallpaper into solid blue sky color). The backlight may be an issue, or the distance between each pixel column is not uniform.

Well, I think I just live with it though. I have tried to bring it to the ASUS service centre to change the screen, but the screen is very damn expensive here. it's about 550 SGD (Singapore). Perhaps in the future, I'll wait for GX550 (the 100% NTSC color gamut screen is an interesting thing for digital artist), but still considering the temperature though.

hmscott
07-18-2014, 04:52 AM
I believe it is not a driver issue. I have updated the GeForce drivers to the recent one, and I still can see the pattern. It's more on the hardware. I think the screen production is not so well controlled. I mean, the left side of the panel seems fine (no vertical lines whatsoever), but as it goes to the right side, the vertical lines become more apparent (you can try to switch the wallpaper into solid blue sky color). The backlight may be an issue, or the distance between each pixel column is not uniform.

Well, I think I just live with it though. I have tried to bring it to the ASUS service centre to change the screen, but the screen is very damn expensive here. it's about 550 SGD (Singapore). Perhaps in the future, I'll wait for GX550 (the 100% NTSC color gamut screen is an interesting thing for digital artist), but still considering the temperature though.

IceEdelweiss, uninstalling Splendid and using the video adjustments KoolAsus suggests might help. Changing the desktop image to compliment the issue instead of bringing it out would be nice too.

And, simply sitting back from the laptop screen a little further might help too. I use a wireless keyboard/trackpad and stay off the built-in keyboard and keep my finger prints and food crumbs off the laptop :)

Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad - light and just the right size to use and pack in the laptop bag - there are lots of other choices - and at home desktop I use Razer wired keyboard/mouse
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Built-In-Multi-Touch/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405659017&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+wireless+keyboard+trackpad

It might be something Asus can repair by sending in the laptop, if you document the issue and suggest that they replace/change the driver board for the screen. I think it is out of spec parts somewhere in the display chain - as it seems to be a production batch related problem - many don't have the lines, and then a production run will have the lines.

KoolASUS
07-18-2014, 03:48 PM

Ok, I think I know now what you mean. This is the other "vertical lines" issue. (no kidding...........) I have it too. Indeed, in the right side of the screen, there is a vertical pattern. (like faint black lines/intervals between two "normal" vertical pixels) This one doesn't disappear or change when you update the drivers. I have observed that, if you increase the refresh rate (currently I am at 70Hz for my AUO 219D screen, to reduce the flicker effect), the lines seem to become more visible. But to be honest, these lines don't bother me much. It can be caused by the screen itself, or it's another component issue. I dunno.