PDA

View Full Version : How to set G750JX Default Power Options to Balanced?

alby1976
07-17-2014, 02:32 AM
Hi there.

As stated, I have a G750JX, Win8.1 and every time I boot the computer, the power options are set to Power4Gear High Performance.
Is there anyway to set the default to balanced?

Thanks.
Al.

Darnassus
07-17-2014, 02:43 AM
DELETE IT!!! ;d

No seriously, go to "Add / Remove Programs and delete it."

OR have it not boot up with system with MSConfig

tru.kirby
07-17-2014, 06:31 AM
I agree with Darnassus. You get better performance and battery life with windows power management.

redduc900
07-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Even w/ Power4Gear set to high performance, you'll probably find that the Windows power plan is set to balanced (Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options).

osheamat
07-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Seriously! How odd. So delete it and create my own "high performance" profile?

hmscott
07-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Seriously! How odd. So delete it and create my own "high performance" profile?

osheamat, power4Gear is good to uninstall and then you have the Windows High Performance, CPU min/max 100%/100%, and Windows Balanced, CPU Min/Max 0%/100%, and those work great. :)

I mostly live under the Balanced Power plan, as it reduces the CPU frequency when unloaded/idle, cooling down the CPU and reducing power draw. Even when Benchmarking the Balanced Power plan works fine, but you can get a few FPS/points higher results with the High Performance Power plan.

Power4Gear also seems to mess with other things, like Wifi settings - which causes dropped connections and unreliable connections for some. It also forces it's power plans into service over the manual settings, which is what you experienced - very annoying to have to reset the plan back every time I go from AC to Battery, and back.

Asus Splendid is another good one to uninstall, along with Asus Gaming Mouse - causes BSOD's for some.

alby1976
07-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Thanks guys. That was what I was suspecting, and what I needed to know.

alby1976
07-19-2014, 01:29 AM
OK, had a look, and msconfig wants to use task manager to disable startup programs now.
Didn't find it in the list, so uninstalled, now default is balanced.
Had a look at CPU frequency, etc. and at idle it is going down to around 800Mhz, but still ramping up when needed.
Exactly what I wanted, thanks guys.

Al.