PDA

View Full Version : Power4Gear Needed?

Torpedo499
07-17-2014, 05:12 PM
I just saw another thread saying to delete Power4Gear, or disable it from startup. Why?

What purpose/uses does it have?

Is it recommended to keep it?

broadleaf
07-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Its useless shovelware. If people suggest to remove then it's probably causing issues like most of redundant manufacturer specific software does.

Prostar Computer
07-17-2014, 08:49 PM
You can manage power plans through Windows and much more efficiently. P4G is an attempt at being an innovative alternative to Windows power management plans, but most users avoid it like the plague.

Wr3ckloose
07-18-2014, 02:33 AM
Power4Gear is necessary for the non tech savvy users. if asus didn't have this installed, then people who nothing about power settings would screwed. it also helps them troubleshoot users who call in with power issues as it gives them a default to work with.

i for one dont mind it at this point. you can always make your own power plan. i guess people like to free up the few megabytes that it takes up on their ssd's.

Maxter
07-18-2014, 08:43 PM
We discussed this topic on another thread about a month ago (including info about the new version of P4G). In short, if you are on the go and depend on battery power a lot (and want to maximize it), use P4G. If you always have access to a plug, uninstall. P4G will give you ~10% extra battery usage than using the windows power controller.

xdon82
07-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Does this software give any boost for GPU or CPU ? better performance ?

Torpedo499
07-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Does this software give any boost for GPU or CPU ? better performance ?

I'm not sure, someone said in another thread that it gives like a ~10% boost on performance, I doubt it though.

hmscott
07-20-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure, someone said in another thread that it gives like a ~10% boost on performance, I doubt it though.

Power4Gear doesn't do anything itself to increase performance, but the underlying Windows Power Plans that set the Min/Max CPU speeds, is what tunes the performance.

For High Performance set Min/Max to 100%/100%, and for Balanced Performance set to 0%/100%, and for Battery saving set to 0%/99% - the 99% turns off Turbo mode.

You can uninstall Power4Gear, and use the Windows Power Plans, and set the one you want as Default. :)

FalconFX
07-20-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure, someone said in another thread that it gives like a ~10% boost on performance, I doubt it though. i guess he said 10% boost in battery life P4G Saving plan

hmscott
07-20-2014, 10:13 PM
i guess he said 10% boost in battery life P4G Saving plan

FalconFX, Power4Gear just switches Power Plans, it does nothing to improve battery life. Setting the same settings in a Windows Power Plan with P4G uninstalled will provide the same 10% improvement.

Torpedo499
07-20-2014, 10:17 PM
FalconFX, Power4Gear just switches Power Plans, it does nothing to improve battery life. Setting the same settings in a Windows Power Plan with P4G uninstalled will provide the same 10% improvement.

Ok, so it doesn't give a boost. Thanks for clarifying everything hmscott :)

FalconFX
07-20-2014, 10:19 PM
FalconFX, Power4Gear just switches Power Plans, it does nothing to improve battery life. Setting the same settings in a Windows Power Plan with P4G uninstalled will provide the same 10% improvement. i know, but that 10% improvement is compared to windows's stock values i guess.

hmscott
07-21-2014, 12:20 AM
i know, but that 10% improvement is compared to windows's stock values i guess.

Power4Gear will force the power plan to be Battery saving, without p4g you have to manually set that - if you leave it on Balanced or High Performance power plan while on battery you will not get as good of performance as while on Power Saver power plan.

If matched plan to plan, with the Advanced settings the same, the results will be the same. :)

FalconFX
07-21-2014, 12:36 AM
Power4Gear will force the power plan to be Battery saving, without p4g you have to manually set that - if you leave it on Balanced or High Performance power plan while on battery you will not get as good of performance as while on Power Saver power plan.

If matched plan to plan, with the Advanced settings the same, the results will be the same. :)

Exactly, i agree completely :D

xdon82
07-21-2014, 10:03 AM
so it's useless.. the more unnecessary background applications / services, the more possible errors in system

Maxter
07-21-2014, 05:49 PM
so it's useless.. the more unnecessary background applications / services, the more possible errors in system

Not really useless. If you are a typical user, you'll benefit from P4G because it'll do the adjustments for you (you might lack the knowledge to adjust power properties - yes, some people don't know and that's ok). If you are a power user, you can just do it yourself.

dblkk
07-22-2014, 12:37 AM
the best part about the powergear program that I found it keepable, is that when you plug or unplug the ac adapter, it automatically switches from high power to either battery or balanced. Im not sure if you can set that up automatically in windows, ive looked and came up with nothing. But I keep the program just for that feature.

xdon82
07-22-2014, 01:05 PM
dblkk: Yes You are right, this is the best feature of this program

Maxter
07-22-2014, 06:59 PM
I agree with both of you. When you remove P4G, you have to do it manually...

kimiraikkonen
04-04-2018, 03:03 PM
If i use Battery Saving mode of Power4Gear, i get latency bug (HPET issue) notably. If i always run at High Performance profile it is fine with no major HPET timing loss. WinTimerTester easily reveals it. Did you have any observations like this?

kimiraikkonen
04-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Power4Gear doesn't do anything itself to increase performance, but the underlying Windows Power Plans that set the Min/Max CPU speeds, is what tunes the performance.

For High Performance set Min/Max to 100%/100%, and for Balanced Performance set to 0%/100%, and for Battery saving set to 0%/99% - the 99% turns off Turbo mode.

You can uninstall Power4Gear, and use the Windows Power Plans, and set the one you want as Default. :)

That's a bit wrong. Power4Gear (at least the version on my machine, 1.1.40) silently overclocks system FSB by 8-9 MHZ which can be seen by any diagnostic software like HWINFO IF YOU USE HIGH PERFORMANCE profile.

Worse, it causes timing problems (HPET) with Battery Saving mode when used. I don't know why but you can see the problem by testing WinTimerTester using default Windows clocks (TPC) without enabling HPET.