PDA

View Full Version : A Tip In Solving Bright Dot On Screen Of ASUS G74

PILGRIM
10-18-2011, 08:48 AM
HI. So this is my 1st time to post at ROG.

I just had my ASUS G74SX-3DE for 3 weeks now and enjoying every moment of using it, except for one thing- there was a bright dot on the top-left corner of the screen. I noticed this bright dot the 2nd day I used the laptop.

I was thinking of RMAing it, but since I live in China, I wasn't really keen on returning it due to additional expenses (not to mention the time being away with it).

Then I saw a site giving a suggestion on how to deal with the problem. And this is what I did: I wrapped the rounded tip of a ball pen with a wet tissue paper, turned off my screen, and pressed the exact location of the bright dot 3 or 4 times with it gently but firmly.

Then I turned on the screen again and eureka!, the bright dot is gone! To be sure, I restarted the laptop, turned on black screensaver, played some movies and games, but the dot is entirely gone. Looking back, I would say I saved time and money doing that site's tip. :)

I wouldn't strongly advise it for those who have similar problem but it definitely worked with mine.

Lastly, I've had 3 ASUS laptops now for the past 6 years and have been one loyal customer due their reliability, quality, and price value. But this (ASUS G74SX-3DE) is definitely the best I've had so far. I like everything about it especially the matte screen. It's just so cool with the eyes and never strains them!..

That's about it.. Hope ROG's welcome extends to me.

Chastity@ASUS
10-18-2011, 04:16 PM
You need to ask if it extends to you? Of course it does!! ROG On!

spectroplasm
10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
reading this make me all the more impatient to get my ROG lappy, can't wait for December, hope they don't go out of stock or I'll be one blue bird.

xeromist
10-18-2011, 06:15 PM
That's interesting. I've heard of using a finger tip but never a wet paper towel. I wonder what the logic behind that is. Oh well, glad it worked :)

spectroplasm
10-18-2011, 06:22 PM
the area of contact on the wet paper towel is larger than the finger tip but flat meaning it pushes around the pixel also. I don't know but it could be that the damp towel cools down the area to the point were the liquid crystal is able to be moved back into the grid. Could be wrong though, just a thought.

Cervani
10-18-2011, 08:18 PM
reading this make me all the more impatient to get my ROG lappy, can't wait for December, hope they don't go out of stock or I'll be one blue bird.

I'm getting my G73 today! I can't wait for it to get here. Sadly UPS is notorious for arriving late in the damn day instead of early. >.<

PILGRIM
10-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Hi Chastity. Thanks for the assurance :-) Been hovering to this site for a few months now and been one of many who are grateful for your insight and various help. Kudos to you and all members of ROG.

PILGRIM
10-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Methinks it would be worth the wait. Last time I checked, ASUS upgraded the CPU from Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad Core into 2670QM Quad Core with the same pricing.

PILGRIM
10-19-2011, 02:33 AM
That's interesting. I've heard of using a finger tip but never a wet paper towel. I wonder what the logic behind that is. Oh well, glad it worked :)

Hi xeromist. I used the tip of a ball pen to put pressure on the bright dot. I just covered it with a wet tissue paper to avoid damaging the screen.

PILGRIM
10-19-2011, 02:44 AM
the area of contact on the wet paper towel is larger than the finger tip but flat meaning it pushes around the pixel also. I don't know but it could be that the damp towel cools down the area to the point were the liquid crystal is able to be moved back into the grid. Could be wrong though, just a thought.

Just like xeromist's, i guess you also missed it. I mentioned on my maiden post that I used the tip of a pen and just covered it with a wet tissue paper so as not to damage the screen..

My other post re: waiting for the right time to buy your ROG laptop is worth it. As i've said, the CPU has been upgraded and the price is the same.