PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system problem, and battery life.

PIRATEyohoho
10-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Cooling system works on 2000 rpm, in any energy consuption profile and even
whithout any game or program launched. It works on 2000 rpm even in battery mode.
Besides that the battery life in maximum power saving and without load was like 80
minutes, instead of 3 hours.
All latest drivers installed from asus global website. The bios was updated o latest
available version.power4gear hybrid software was also updated to latest version.

JRd1st
10-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Sounds like you have a G74. That's just the way the cooling system was designed, I think. Mine is like that too, but the fans are quiet at that speed... and everything stays cool, too. Those fans DO speed up when needed, though.

Three hours on battery is good for a performance notebook, IMO.

PIRATEyohoho
10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah, forgot to metion it's g74sx. And I noticed that second fan is not running, so looks like it's the design feature.
The problem is, my g74sx runs only for 80 minutes without load. I've read a lot of reviews where people post 3 hours with wi-fi, and with harder configurations than my g74sx with 4gb ram and 500gb hard drive.
The other problem is sound. I used the tweak with external speakers, but got another problem. On many tracks they start ****ting, as if you are trying to max bass ina cheap 4$ genius speakers. I have to reduce sound to 50-60% to avoid that. Verry dissapointing, but I had no such problems at lenovo g570 at any volume.
Also noticed some lag thing using dpc latency chekcer, it happens when you use skype or teamspeak or whatever voip program. Installing latest audio driver halfed the effect, but it still exists.
And there was a word about eax5, but I never saw that thing, except for laptop manual, any idea if it acutaly works? Coz in neverwinter nights 2 the eax button is gray. Kinda sad.

JRd1st
10-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Dude, the latency is most likely caused by the Atheros Wifi Driver. Uninstall it then install this one - ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921432.zip

I don't know what to tell you about everything else, but do some reading. That Atheros driver problem is mentioned many, many times in this forum, I know because I've mentioned it many of those times and I'm starting to get Artheros-sclerosos from typing it. lol

Good luck. Maybe if you do a clean install of Win7 you'll like your G74 better. It worked for me. Just make sure you use newer drivers than are on your driver CD or the Asus support page. You can find newer drivers in this thread - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference Most of them are in Chastity's post, but I've been posting some too, in the later posts.

Chastity@ASUS
10-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Also check Power4Gear Hybrid as to what power plan you are on. 90 min sounds like High Performance.

PIRATEyohoho
11-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Refresihng the theme of the topic.
Now cooling system annoys me even more. It's got some annoying sound like if it's working hard and going to die, even in web browser, but temperatures are totaly ok.
I can't imagine a sertified engineer to desing crap like that. My laptop fan is screwed after 2 months of use. Does anybody have solution for fan speeds? I'd rather regulate them myself than a guy who is paid for not doing his work.

Battery life in performance is like 40-50 min btw.
And thanks for wi-fi driver tip, realy helped, but I still have some strange latency like 200-500 in dcplat.

And another question: If I disassemble my laptop (top side to get to speekers and cooling system), will it cancel my warranty?
The reason is this
http://50.imagebam.com/download/EM562YCHtdBDKBRmmrSokg/15274/152739323/plastic%20in%20fan.jpg
And a tweak to a vibrating speaker
http://thumbnails49.imagebam.com/15274/89bd83152734283.jpg

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Maybe the fans and vents are dusty? Do you smoke? Tar buildup accelerates the need to clean the system.

PIRATEyohoho
11-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Well no, I don't smoke. And nobody smokes in my room, and I don't have a cat anymore.
2 months and I have to clear it from dust? and yet again I have to disassemble the top part of laptop to clean it completely.
But still, the temperatures are ok, they all are like 40-46, why is it noisy in the first place?

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Just blow out the back vent with compressed air or canned Dust-Off or something. Use short, sharp bursts.

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Well no, I don't smoke. And nobody smokes in my room, and I don't have a cat anymore.
2 months and I have to clear it from dust? and yet again I have to disassemble the top part of laptop to clean it completely.
But still, the temperatures are ok, they all are like 40-46, why is it noisy in the first place?
Removing the top cover won't, in itself, void your warranty. But if you damage anything in the process, that would not be covered.

You can't really adjust fan speed manually, and it really doesn't make a lot of sense to leave that to the user. The system needs to manage temps in real time...leaving that up to users who might forget or get distracted might result in quite a few fried notebooks! :)

Have you tried switching to passive cooling? That should makes your fans run less aggressively.

PIRATEyohoho
11-27-2011, 01:25 AM
I was speaking of a possobility to use program to make your own temperature profiles.
And no, there is no difference between active and passive at all, the fan keeps going 2000 rpm, and it's dumb. With that cooling system It can stop and the system will be ok in web browsing mode.
But asus can't even slow down the fans, where is logic in that? Those fans gonna wear out in a year, and will be making a noise of an aircraft.

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 01:29 AM
I was speaking of a possobility to use program to make your own temperature profiles.
And no, there is no difference between active and passive at all, the fan keeps going 2000 rpm, and it's dumb. With that cooling system It can stop and the system will be ok in web browsing mode.
But asus can't even slow down the fans, where is logic in that? Those fans gonna wear out in a year, and will be making a noise of an aircraft.
If it never slows down at all, there's got to be something wrong with the fan controller.

PIRATEyohoho
11-27-2011, 01:37 AM
I was speaking about the ability to use program and make your own temperature profiles.
Switching to passive cooling made no difference at all, the fan still goes 2000 rpm, and that's just dumb, coz those fans going to wear out in a year or less, and will be making noise of an aircraft.
With that cooling system it should stop and be realy passive in web browsing, but it doesn't.
Is it just my laptop or every g74 works like that?

dstrakele
11-27-2011, 01:46 AM
If it never slows down at all, there's got to be something wrong with the fan controller.

I don't know - SpeedFan shows my G74SX-A1 CPU Fan running at 2150-2180 rpm at idle. It NEVER runs slower than that. If I'm running my typical suite of programs and Browser windows, it increases to about 2600. If I run the "Prime95" stress test from SpeedFan, it increases to 3200+ rpm.

SpeedFan says it can control fan speeds, but I don't use it for that purpose and know of no one who has used it successfully in this manner.

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 02:15 AM
Good point. Maybe I over-interpreted his annoyance to mean that his fan must be running full blast and loud all the time. But if he's just annoyed that it never stops, or that he can't control it himself, could be that there's no problem with the laptop at all.

AQUASTEVAE
11-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Good point. Maybe I over-interpreted his annoyance to mean that his fan must be running full blast and loud all the time. But if he's just annoyed that it never stops, or that he can't control it himself, could be that there's no problem with the laptop at all.

come on. there is something wrong with his system if he is only getting 80 min's of battery life, with nothing running.

fostert
11-27-2011, 05:20 PM
come on. there is something wrong with his system if he is only getting 80 min's of battery life, with nothing running.

Agreed: either something about those fans is drawing massive amount of current, or (perhaps as well) the battery capacity is degraded. I would think fans have internal resistance to limit current draw from the constant voltage source; perhaps one of them is "shorted" or bypassed. Or the mainboard power circuitry which supplies 5 or 12V to the fans is faulty. Since your system seems to be stable otherwise that means a bad fan is more likely.

PIRATEyohoho
11-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Thanks a lot for all the replies.
The noise made in idle mod reminds me of old PC fans noise, it's not an aircraft, but a clear sound of working pc. After I upgraded my PC and bought zalman Z9, there is no noise, and I wouldn't know if pc is on or of, if not for the blue lighting in front. My laptop is louder, and while you play or listen to music it's not that annoying, in complete silence this sound makes me mad. And if somebody checked same laptop with speedfan like I did, that's the result of poor design.

All soft I tried to test my battery showed capacity at 99%, it's ok. But still there is something wrong, and I wouldn't bother people here if I didn't live in Ukraine, where laptops can stay a month in service center before they even touch it, considering I am on bags and can be called to the airport any day.
To get to the point. What is on: foobar playing music on 50% volume, keyboard light, mouse, avg antivirus, some minor programs in tray like for mouse and touchpad + browser.
In energy saving mod it showed 90 minutes of battery life. Processor runs at 800mhz. But gpu-z shows that graphics have 700+ clocks. Maybe that is the case? Or I can be wrong and it showes default clocks, not those in use.

- Now I am pretty sure that is the case, graphics card's clocks are stuck at same value, no matter the battery profile or load is.
I thik it's only possible to fix with graphics card bios flashing, have no other idea. Need your replies.
And if that noisy fan is controlled by graphics, it may be the solution to all my problems.

dstrakele
11-28-2011, 05:56 AM
Thanks a lot for all the replies.
The noise made in idle mod reminds me of old PC fans noise, it's not an aircraft, but a clear sound of working pc. After I upgraded my PC and bought zalman Z9, there is no noise, and I wouldn't know if pc is on or of, if not for the blue lighting in front. My laptop is louder, and while you play or listen to music it's not that annoying, in complete silence this sound makes me mad. And if somebody checked same laptop with speedfan like I did, that's the result of poor design.

All soft I tried to test my battery showed capacity at 99%, it's ok. But still there is something wrong, and I wouldn't bother people here if I didn't live in Ukraine, where laptops can stay a month in service center before they even touch it, considering I am on bags and can be called to the airport any day.
To get to the point. What is on: foobar playing music on 50% volume, keyboard light, mouse, avg antivirus, some minor programs in tray like for mouse and touchpad + browser.
In energy saving mod it showed 90 minutes of battery life. Processor runs at 800mhz. But gpu-z shows that graphics have 700+ clocks. Maybe that is the case? Or I can be wrong and it showes default clocks, not those in use.

- Now I am pretty sure that is the case, graphics card's clocks are stuck at same value, no matter the battery profile or load is.
I thik it's only possible to fix with graphics card bios flashing, have no other idea. Need your replies.
And if that noisy fan is controlled by graphics, it may be the solution to all my problems.

Other than the fan noise you report, your G74SX fan speed and battery life are very similar to mine. As I posted earlier, SpeedFan reports 2150-2180 rpm is my idle fan speed (never goes lower), but my system is one of the quietest notebooks I've owned. It sounds like your fan is contacting something or has a bad bearing.

I would not be surprised at 90 minutes battery life on a G74SX playing or streaming music files.

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Other than the fan noise you report, your G74SX fan speed and battery life are very similar to mine. As I posted earlier, SpeedFan reports 2150-2180 rpm is my idle fan speed (never goes lower), but my system is one of the quietest notebooks I've owned. It sounds like your fan is contacting something or has a bad bearing.

I would not be surprised at 90 minutes battery life on a G74SX playing or streaming music files.

Same here, I agree.

PIRATEyohoho
11-28-2011, 04:14 PM
You are wrong, playing music makes no difference. And not streaming, just playing in foobar from hard drive. It's not even 1080p video playback.
And graphics clocks should go down once in 2d mode, I know this for sure, it's a usual stuff for any laptop, even my 3 years old acer did it.
I used many laptops, and I know what is silent, my g74 is not for sure.
Anybody knowes anything about graphics card bios for g560m ?

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 05:53 PM
You could check MVKTech.net. Tell Mavke i sent you! :D

PIRATEyohoho
11-29-2011, 02:27 AM
Thanks I'll try there. Sad that ordinary user has to deal with graphics card bios to make his laptop work as it should be.