PDA

View Full Version : G53Sw-XN1 Audio Studder

Torsten
10-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Hello all,

I've been lurking the forum for a bit and just recently experienced an issue with my laptop and wanted to throw the issue out here and see if anyone has any ideas.

The game that I play the most is EverQuest 1, not exactly a demanding game (single threaded app), even in todays MMO standards. I do raid, so the load on the system is a bit more than when out soloing. I also run two log parsing programs.

Here's the situation. I was preparing for the raid, so the game was basically maxed out as far as graphics usage are concerned. I was also patching EverQuest Beta at about 25Mbit, running both my log parsing programs (1 of them is just a simple log parser for DPS calculations, the other is an audio trigger program to fire off sounds when certain words are saved in the logfile), and also listening to some MP3's with Winamp. I did have a couple of instances where the sound had stuttered for about a second and it seemed like the game may have frozen along with the stuttering.

It seemed like an I/O issue of some sort, having the hard drive being wrote to by the Beta Patcher, with the combination of an audio trigger firing off from one of my log parsers, in combination with sounds from EverQuest and music from Winamp all happenning at the same time.

I haven't experienced this issue with my desktop, so I know from a software perspective this should all be fine.

Desktop system is an i7 930, GTX 470, 4GB DDR 1600, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3

Laptop is just the base G53Sw-XN1, no hardware modifications. The system has been reimaged with a clean Win7 Home Premium 64-bit install, latest drivers for everything except for Bluetooth, Cardreader, Turbo Monitor (installed those off the Asus driver DVD). Running the latest Nvidia Verde Beta Drivers with the modified INF.

I run RealTemp and MSI Afterburner (for sensor monitors only) in the background.

Thanks in advance~

EDIT: I probably should have mentioned, I am running the Realtek Audio Driver 2.65 no Creative or THX applications were installed to enhance the sound device.

Chastity@ASUS
10-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Has this happened more than once? If not, don't worry about it.

Torsten
10-18-2011, 05:46 PM
It happened three or four times over the course of about 5 minutes, but never occured through the rest of the night. This was my first night actually gaming with it having everything running and ready to go, so I'll keep my eye (err ..ear) out for it if it happens again, I'll try and provide some more info. Tks!

midihooker
10-18-2011, 10:43 PM
download this and see if you have any driver issues..

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Torsten
10-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the link.

The monitor was showing mostly yellow with the occassional run of green, some spikes of red amidst the yellow. Certainly more yellow and red than green. I was also running on battery power, so I don't know if that was influencing it or not. I'll dig around a bit more, but I tried disabling all of the devices in device manager that I felt were safe to (all but things like HDD, CPU, Video Adapter, and most of the system devices.), and didn't really see any significant changes.

Torsten
10-19-2011, 03:01 PM
So it seems that I have a device driver somewhere causing the DPC latency to spike. I'm thinking I may just reimage the system, run that program from the beginning and check it before and after every driver install.

Either way, I do have another issue that I am running into. I can not get the THX TruStudio software to detect my hardware after installation. I've downloaded the THX TruStudio MUI 1.02 as specificed in the driver sticky post for the [SW] systems over the Realtek 2.65 drivers that I downloaded directly from Realtek's site. I've also tried uninstalling those drivers/softwares, running driversweeper on reboot in safe mode to clean those off, then reinstall the packages directly from Asus website (old old drivers), and still have the same issue.

Does anyone have any information on how to get the realtek drivers with the THX TruStudio software reinstalled like it was on the factory image? At this point I don't necessarily care if the realtek drivers are current, I would just like to find out how to make this work as I've spent hours trying and it's starting to frustrate me. :/

Tks~

JRd1st
10-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Do you have an Atheros WiFi adapter? If so, update the driver to 9.2.1.432 (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921432.zip)

We REALLY NEED a sticky about this darn Atheros driver!!!!

Have you tried using the Driver CD for THX and the RealTek driver?

Torsten
10-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Yes. I have the Atheros WiFi module, I was using the 9.2.0.113 driver so I will update that.

I haven't tried installing the THX and Realtek from the Driver CD, but that's going to be my next stop. Unfortunately I didn't bring that with me to work and I don't see a SW driver DVD ISO here to download, so I'll have to report back on that later this evening.

Thanks

Torsten
10-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Atheros drivers have been updated, of course my Realtek and Creative software/drivers are also currently uninstalled but the DPC latency monitor is showing night and day differences! Absolute is now 268 instead of ~5000.

JRd1st
10-19-2011, 05:08 PM
That old Atheros driver really wreaked havoc on my system. Mouse/touchpad lag, freezing when browsing online, firefox non-responsive...

I wound up doing a clean windows install and discovered that the wlan driver was wacked out when I downloaded it over LAN, then installed it. . . Boing! Lagtime again. Didn't know about dpc lapency checker, then.

Torsten
10-19-2011, 06:05 PM
After all of this I am wondering if it was even worth doing a clean install. I've been an enthusiast for years, so this isn't my first rodeo. This is by far the most off the wall run around backwards chasing your tail sort of install I've ever had to do. Between the NEED for the driver CD to install applications properly, and getting modified INF drivers to install hardware manufacturer drivers...Lots of work. I feel for anyone who bought one of these laptops and isint familiar with this forum.

Needless to say, I'm building my own driver disc once I have all of this nailed down, and unfortunately I'll still need to keep my original driver CD handy to get the Creative THX stuff installed, maybe I'll find a way to pull those off of the disc. I have a feeling that the Asus installer disc is what handles the activation of the Creative software, instead of the setup.exe, so that may not be possible :/

JRd1st
10-19-2011, 06:17 PM
After all of this I am wondering if it was even worth doing a clean install. I've been an enthusiast for years, so this isn't my first rodeo. This is by far the most off the wall run around backwards chasing your tail sort of install I've ever had to do. Between the NEED for the driver CD to install applications properly, and getting modified INF drivers to install hardware manufacturer drivers...Lots of work. I feel for anyone who bought one of these laptops and isint familiar with this forum.
Needless to say, I'm building my own driver disc once I have all of this nailed down, and unfortunately I'll still need to keep my original driver CD handy to get the Creative THX stuff installed, maybe I'll find a way to pull those off of the disc. I have a feeling that the Asus installer disc is what handles the activation of the Creative software, instead of the setup.exe, so that may not be possible :/

OR you could use something like Acronis TrueImage to make a backup image of your your perfect clean install and you'll never have to do another "clean install" again. At least not on this pc.