PDA

View Full Version : Key stuck on keyboard

porky133
07-21-2014, 07:11 AM
I have a sticky W key on my keyboard. I can lift it back up with my fingernail, but next time I push on it, it sticks in down position. Laptop is less than one year old and I do play a lot of FPS's. Any suggestions before I attempt an RMA?

Darnassus
07-21-2014, 07:22 AM
Well.. yeah...... pull the key off ;d

You can do this easily by fitting your fingernail underneath the top side of the key ( Not the bottom )

As you pull, the key will 'snap' off. Then you move the key downwards and it'll unlatch.

Inspect the scissor clip (The clip that holds the key ) and try to give it a clean.

To put the key back on, slide the key on the bottom most of the scissor, then move it a little upwards (to latch it on), then snap it back down with a firm push downwards.

Good luck. ;3

porky133
07-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Got the key off. Scissor clip looks fine. With the key off the little rubber nubbin that sticks up will stick in the down position if pressed. Any idea how to remove the entire key mechanism?

I am obs
07-23-2014, 12:59 AM
I have the g750jw. I also have this problem. On Mine its the w and a keys that are stuck down. After investigating it. It seems the rubber cups get worn and lose the ability to Rebound from being pushed down.

Don't have a solid solution yet other then using a wired keyboard for now.

Shame. Was such a nice laptop up till the keys started failing.

porky133
07-23-2014, 02:51 AM
Mine is less than a year old, only sees use on some weekends, totally unacceptable to have a failure of this nature on a gaming laptop. I've submitted a Tech Support request. Will see how that goes.

If I have to buy a new laptop it wouldn't be another Asus.

BirdOPrey5
07-24-2014, 08:53 PM
I have a G750JX and my problem just started with the "O" key. :(

I'm confined to bed and this laptop is my life. I don't have the option of using an external keyboard.

The laptop is well less than a year old, purchased in October 2013.

Darnassus
07-24-2014, 10:08 PM
You can purchase replacement faceplates or take it under warranty :'c

BirdOPrey5
07-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Are you aware of any installation video or instructions for replacing the keyboard on this model?

I am obs
07-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Here is what I did about my W and A keys. *warning. There has to be a better way so I would advise against what I did.

I looked for 2 keys on my laptop that I never use. Ever.. Those happen to be the - and + keys on the number pad.

I popped the keys off from the top pulling them up. Have to be super careful as the bottom clips on the keys are more like little hooks and will break if you manhandle them.

Once I got the keys off I used a paper clip to pop the top sides of the key scissor off. Then I carefully used a slim nail file to get under the unabused rubber cap. Seems these things are glued ?.. I managed to get both off very much intact and no rips.I took off the weakened rubber cups from the A and W keys. I then placed the newish cups on my a and w keys.. Didn't glue them just carefully placed them. Then snapped the key back over them and to my surprise they both work great.

I honestly don't recommend this fix to anyone. Sometimes I just get frustrated with broken stuff and try anything to fix it.

The down side is I now have two keys on the number pad that don't work at all.

I also realize more keys are going to have the same problem as it seems to be a design flaw in the rubber cups used under the keyboard keys..

Just my dirty fix story I figured I would share.

BirdOPrey5
07-25-2014, 12:14 AM
Very interesting. I wonder if there is any way of purchasing just the rubber caps.

I assume when you say you placed them on the a and w keys you mean you removed the bad rubber caps first?

I found a generic video on replacing keys but it does not seem like buying a key would include the rubber cap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4iTWxxJC8

BirdOPrey5
07-25-2014, 12:19 AM
I found an ebay auction selling keys with the rubber cup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAPTOP-KEYBOARD-KEYS-REPLACEMENT-ASUS-G750-G750JH-G750JM-G750JS-G750JW-G750JX-/221477865190?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33911c06e6

$14.95 seems a bit steep for a single key though when I see whole keyboards for other models going for $20.

I am obs
07-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Yes sorry I was unclear. I typed that on my phone. I edited it some. Hope its a little more clear. Still I wouldn't recommend doing it. The eBay replacement key is my next move for sure.

The thing that makes it more annoying is its not the key or scissor clip that's failing. They are in perfect shape. The rubber cup is what's failing. On top of that they are glued......

BirdOPrey5
07-25-2014, 12:25 AM
http://www.laptopkey.com/ sells replacement keys, including the rubber cup for $6.95 + less than $2 shipping, almost half what that ebay auction is going for.

I am obs
07-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Good find. I'm going to look now and order a few + extra. Thank you.

BirdOPrey5
07-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Thank you for your info on how to replace the key. :)

BirdOPrey5
07-29-2014, 12:18 AM
http://www.laptopkey.com/ sells replacement keys, including the rubber cup for $6.95 + less than $2 shipping, almost half what that ebay auction is going for.

Well I got my key today. The rubber cup which was all I needed was fine. In fact I didn't even remove the old cup, I just put the new one over the old. It works- it's a little stiffer than the other keys but I'll get used to it. At least it pops up.

Anyway, unfortunately the actual key they sent does NOT match my keyboard. The key they sent has a matte (as opposed to glossy) finish and the key itself is about 50% thicker than OEM keys. I'm not even convinced it would fit correctly if I was trying to replace the entire key.

I emailed the company to ask if this was a mistake or really they key they have on file for this model. we'll see... it would be nice if it was a mistake and I can rely on them to order keys from in the future.

BirdOPrey5
07-31-2014, 09:16 AM
laptopkey.com got back to me, after seeing the photos I took they apologized but said they do not have the backlit keys. So you can pay $6.95 for the rubber cup, but the actual key is not going to work. :(

I am obs
09-01-2014, 12:50 AM
laptopkey.com got back to me, after seeing the photos I took they apologized but said they do not have the backlit keys. So you can pay $6.95 for the rubber cup, but the actual key is not going to work. :(

Argh.. I just ordered 2 of these a few days ago..lol.. At least the cup worked out.

That's all I really needed anyway.

Was these the ones you ordered ?

http://www.laptopkey.com/KeyboardKeys.php/Asus/G%20Series/G750JW

***UPDATE***

The link above are a perfect replacement for the keys on the g750jw. Fixed both keys in under 5 mins and you would never know they was replaced.

I am obs
09-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Argh.. I just ordered 2 of these a few days ago..lol.. At least the cup worked out.

That's all I really needed anyway.

***UPDATE***

The link above are a perfect replacement for the keys on the g750jw. Fixed both keys in under 5 mins and you would never know they was replaced.

As103 was the style for my keyboard.

BirdOPrey5
09-29-2014, 05:59 PM
A couple weeks ago my "i" key stopped coming up... of all the keys to fail, it is right next to the "o" key which was the first one to go... coincidence?

jeisbrener
12-24-2014, 05:13 PM
I've elected to swap out the entire keyboard as my "W" key is stuck... on a gaming laptop (mine being the G73JW) this is basically the kiss of death. There are some shady dealers our there, so if you're in the US, chances are you're going to pay between $35 - $70 for a genuine part from a reputable site.

I elected for an Amazon reseller with good feedback: http://www.amazon.com/Layout-Laptop-Keyboard-Backlit-Number/dp/B00P28ZPUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419440706&sr=8-2&keywords=04GNV33KUS01-3 but standard shipping will take a month as it originates from China.

Update: I'm typing on the new keyboard now. I choose expedited shipping out of China and even though the keyboard looks to have been a refurb, it frankly types better than my original keyboard, and I couldn't be happier. If you do elect to replace the full keyboard, I highly recommend watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp90M_N6dzs) at around 3:15 in to see how to remove the original keyboard ahead of time.

desolator4u
06-28-2015, 06:21 PM

***UPDATE***

As103 was the style for my keyboard.

Hey man,
It's great of you to spend the time replying with all this detail to help others out.
I just bought a used G750JW from eBay and the W key stays down and won't pop back up when pressed.
How do I know which keyboard to select from? As103 or AS97? Is it labelled somewhere?
Finally, is the replacement key a solid piece or does the backlight shine through?

Thanks

GameObject
11-11-2015, 05:43 AM
I just bought my GL771JW last night, brand new, box was factory sealed and now the "T" key is starting to stick and has stuck several times. I haven't even played a game yet! I keep having to pull the T key back up as it pushes in and doesnt come back up.

Very disappointed that I just blew nearly 2 grand on a brand new laptop that out of box has bad keys on keyboard.

Darnassus
11-11-2015, 11:01 AM
I just bought my GL771JW last night, brand new, box was factory sealed and now the "T" key is starting to stick and has stuck several times. I haven't even played a game yet! I keep having to pull the T key back up as it pushes in and doesnt come back up.

Very disappointed that I just blew nearly 2 grand on a brand new laptop that out of box has bad keys on keyboard.

;U

Give it a good few pressings, it should loosen up. Might just be stiff because it's new.. though I must admit, the keyboards on these units aren't exactly the best. The laptop looks pretty, but all the parts used are garbage save for the CPU and GPU themselves. It's all budget with a pretty face, almost as bad as Alienware now. :c

BirdOPrey5
11-11-2015, 11:33 AM
I would return it if you can, if they keys are already bad they're only going to get worse.

GameObject
11-11-2015, 04:52 PM
I tried pressing hard, no go still sticks. It sqeaks somethings. It's odd, if I let it sit for a little bit then it works for about 10 presses before it gets stuck, it starts to get more sqeaky and then sticks.

I want to pull that specific key up and see whats under it but I'm very worried I might break the key. I've pulled keys on keyboards many times but when its an expensive brand new laptop, I would be worried.

How easy do these keys come off. Someone said for a similar model, you can pull the key off by prying from underneath on the top side of the key (usually it's the bottom on most keyboards). Model again is the GL771JW

BirdOPrey5
11-11-2015, 05:02 PM
I pulled some keys off early on, I believe it was from the top, was not difficult. I must have done it about 10 times, it didn't break for me, but if so new I don't see why I would risk it, I would hope wherever you bought it had some kind of return policy.

GameObject
11-11-2015, 05:12 PM
I pulled some keys off early on, I believe it was from the top, was not difficult. I must have done it about 10 times, it didn't break for me, but if so new I don't see why I would risk it, I would hope wherever you bought it had some kind of return policy.

I fixed it. The problem was that the metal clips holding in the white plastic hinge was for some reason bent. It took a fair bit of strength to set it straight again so I'm guessing it got bumped or something during manufacturing. When it was bent slightly, it was impeding the hinge from full movement. This created the squeaky mouse noise when the hinge rubbed the metal and prevented the hinge from flexing fully. With the metal bracket set straight now, the hinge is unimpeded and it works perfectly.

If it was anything more, I would take it back, but after installing everything on this laptop I wasn't looking forward to having to take an hour+ drive to the store I bought it from. They already are kind of douche bags at the location I bought it at and I don't trust them to fix it properly and they are out of stock for an exchange.

BirdOPrey5
11-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Glad to hear. :) Best of luck with your system.

yardiego
11-16-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm with the very same problem, W key got stuck.

I went to the websites mentioned earlier to buy the key, but it's almost 20 bucks, i prefer buying a whole new keyboard for $70 lol

I found a video on youtube how to disassembly my G750JH, i think i can do that, but still i'm a little bit disappointed with this keyboard.