PDA

View Full Version : I need help diagnosing my G75vx

TheCoffeeMan
07-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Hello fellow Forumers!

My G75VX has been acting weird lately. (specs at the bottom)
I've been getting some strange peformance issues and GPU temps that are over 80 degrees celsius.
This laptop is a year old, and i have been overclocking it safely (according to the forums at least) until around christmas last year.
I haven't done it since then (wasn't necessary).

I overclocked because i wanted that extra boost in settings in BF4 (that is what i played a few times a week, before that it was BF3).
Here's the problem though. I've now played other games than BF4 for half a year now with no overclocking. These game are not as demanding at all (CIV V, TF2, and so on). But the last 3 months the performance of the pc has gone down significantly.

Before i could play games such as BF4 with overclocking at +135 core clock and +1000 memory clock at mid to high settings at 60fps and not get over 72 degrees celsius with the GPU
Now i get over 80 degrees celsius (GPU) and under 60fps at low settings with no overclock

All the temps are of at max stress while playing BF4, the "idle" temps are 30 then and 50 now

So my question is: What is wrong with my laptop? I look forward to responses that might help me in solving this laptop mystery!:)

Specs:
CPU: 2.4GHz i7-3630QM 3rd generation Intel
RAM: 16GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX670NX with 3GB Graphics Memory

Clintlgm
07-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Well it sounds as though your in need of a repasting of your GPU and probably your CPU since your going to be that fare into it. If you have Warranty RMA it and PM cl-albert he is our Asus guy here in these forums and can be quite helpful in getting a successful RMA.

TheCoffeeMan
07-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Thanks man, thought my pc was dead!

SHADO
07-22-2014, 12:57 AM
Have you blown out the exhaust vents with compressed air?

TheCoffeeMan
07-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Have you blown out the exhaust vents with compressed air?
Where should i do that? From the inside or from the outside and blow the air in?

SHADO
07-23-2014, 04:06 AM
From the outside, in. You should also remove the panels on the bottom giving access to the fans when you do it. Make sure you hold the fans stationary when blowing the compressed air in from the rear vents. If you don't, the air can cause the fans to spin too fast, ruining the bearings.

TheCoffeeMan
07-23-2014, 07:56 AM
From the outside, in. You should also remove the panels on the bottom giving access to the fans when you do it. Make sure you hold the fans stationary when blowing the compressed air in from the rear vents. If you don't, the air can cause the fans to spin too fast, ruining the bearings.
So the fans shouldt be spinning at all when i do this, correct?

SHADO
07-23-2014, 10:19 AM
So the fans shouldt be spinning at all when i do this, correct?

It won't hurt them if they spin some, but spinning INSANELY fast could damage the bearings.

You can get cans of compressed air at many different places.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/911220/Office-Depot-Brand-Cleaning-Duster-10/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Computer_and_Tablet_Accessories-_-911220-IQ_PE&Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=E6E3E8CA-B16A-DF11-BAA3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_multichannel&mr:ad=28889904956&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=50816818436

They even have them at Walgreens (but are expensive there).

TheCoffeeMan
07-23-2014, 02:22 PM
It won't hurt them if they spin some, but spinning INSANELY fast could damage the bearings.

You can get cans of compressed air at many different places.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/911220/Office-Depot-Brand-Cleaning-Duster-10/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Computer_and_Tablet_Accessories-_-911220-IQ_PE&Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=E6E3E8CA-B16A-DF11-BAA3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_multichannel&mr:ad=28889904956&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=50816818436

They even have them at Walgreens (but are expensive there).

Thanks man! I live in Denmark, but i happen to have compressed air at home, should i still PM that guy considering my location?

SHADO
07-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks man! I live in Denmark, but i happen to have compressed air at home, should i still PM that guy considering my location?

You're welcome. :D Clintlgm can probably answer your question about sending a PM. Let us know your cpu and gpu temps after you blow out the dust.

TheCoffeeMan
07-23-2014, 03:26 PM
You're welcome. :D Clintlgm can probably answer your question about sending a PM. Let us know your cpu and gpu temps after you blow out the dust.
Sorry forget who i was to give credit for that one :D

TheCoffeeMan
07-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Also i won't be able to post the temps til friday, i'm not at home right now

Clintlgm
07-24-2014, 02:52 AM
Its all the same, we just want to help you sort out your notebook.

TheCoffeeMan
07-24-2014, 03:28 PM
My temps have gone down after blowing out the dust, now they only go up to 67 with no overclock and with the same settings. But i still don't get any better performance in terms of fps

TheCoffeeMan
07-25-2014, 10:32 AM
I suspect that my fans don't function as they should. Atleast the right one, that might be causing the higher temps while not doing anything

Clintlgm
07-25-2014, 12:45 PM
If you'll install Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) you can record you CPU and GPU Load and temps and Fan speeds. That is how you'll be able to determine what is actually going on.
winfo64 is very powerful, you may want to open the sensors only for just testing your CPU GPU and Fan speeds and temps

With the NB open looking at the screen the CPU Fan exhaust is on the right and GPU fan exhaust is on the left. They should speed up as the heat increased and slow down as the heat dissipates.

Also as a test for your GPU you can download Furmark (http://www.hwinfo.com/) with a full 1080 Burn in test your GPU Shouldn't exceed 85 C mine will tae about 7 minutes to reach 83C and then for the remaining 8 minutes the temps will fluxuate 80 to 83Cmy ambient temp are 25C.

You'll need to find a burn in test for your CPU I use Burn In Test (http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm)but its a paid for program if you look you can find something to Hold you CPU At Max load for 15 min. My CPU maxes out at About 76C up to 80C or so would be normal 90C or above would be a problem

SHADO
07-25-2014, 02:42 PM
...With the NB open looking at the screen the CPU Fan exhaust is on the right and GPU fan exhaust is on the left...

The GPU fan is on the RIGHT, CPU fan on the LEFT. :D

TheCoffeeMan
07-27-2014, 01:19 PM
well if the GPU fan is on the right, then the might be found. Since that doesn't spin as fast as i now it can at all.

Clintlgm
07-27-2014, 03:28 PM
You'll have to give us the details, CPU LOAD TEMP and Fan Speeds, GPU LOAD TEMPS and Fan Speeds.
And Yes SHADO is correct the GPU fan Exit is on the right side. Under normal conditions you really can't feel any flow its only as the GPU heats up that you will start to feel and hear the GPU Fan.

This is my Notebook setting idle with only my normal desktop running with IE 11 open with 5 tabs. My Ambient Temp here is 25C this morning.

TheCoffeeMan
07-27-2014, 04:02 PM
These are my temps from today, the maximum are with Chivalry running at max settings that got my GPU going 100%

Clintlgm
07-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Looks all normal to me. Blowing the dust out has worked for you?

TheCoffeeMan
07-27-2014, 04:55 PM
I mean i guess, but i still don't get the same performance level as before in other games. And that is still a mystery to me. Should i stop the overclocking completely? or is it safe?

Clintlgm
07-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Well I'm not familiar with OC on these notebooks. But it is only common sense that you OC till you have problems then back off. Taking off the OC would be the first thing I would do troubleshooting any problems. It's possible that you have damaged your GPU Card. So set your GPU Back to Normal as coming from the factory. Then test all your hardware.