PDA

View Full Version : G750JS-DS71 85-93c GPU temps

proseidon
07-22-2014, 03:58 AM
Hi, I have owned this computer for about a week now. I have noticed something that has me a little bit alarmed.

Basically my wife and I each bought gaming computers, she bought the CyberPower Fangbook and I bought the 750js. We both have the Nvidia 870m GPU. Anyway, I was messing around with some hefty minecraft shader mods to test the power of the system, and when I checked temps I was alarmed to find my GPU sitting at 90*C. Now, having been an avid desktop user, these temps were unacceptably high, but I realize a laptop will have worse cooling. However, when I looked at my wife's temps, hers were maxing at about 75*C with the same card.

This seemed a little bit ridiculous, so I played a few other games. Almost all of my graphically intensive games run from 85-88*. Turning off the overclock does not make much difference, turning the fan on max does not make much difference. Furmark runs at a constant 93*C (the throttle limit). I would think maybe this is a problem with the 870m but I have my wife to prove that her temps are well under alarming levels at all times.

My games all run really well and my system seems stable, but I feel like this is not sustainable in the long run. As I need this laptop to last for a few years, I'm really concerned about the temperatures. Is this a common problem in the 750js models, or the 870m GPU? Is this something I shouldn't even worry about?

proseidon
07-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Here are some more specifics

Furmark 1080 15 minute test - 93*C
Dishonored - 79-83*C
Skyrim - 75-82*C
Guild Wars 2 - 83-88*C
Far Cry 3 - 80-86*C
The Witcher 2 - 86-90*C

All of these on ultra/max with AA at 1080p

Darnassus
07-22-2014, 06:16 AM
Hmm, did you compare these temps with your wife's fangbook, and are you both running the games at the same settings?

Try see the temps on both with Furmark.

You may have a bad paste job, it's a history it seems with these machines.

proseidon
07-22-2014, 03:04 PM
Yes, she plays most of the same games. Her temps I have yet to see go above 79*C ever

Maxter
07-22-2014, 06:57 PM
yeah... those are definitely high temps for this laptop. I've never seen mine reach 75C playing those games. Do you have the same Windows Power Options set on both laptops? Though obvious, I have to ask... is your laptop on a flat surface and at least a food from the wall?

proseidon
07-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Yes, we both sit on the same desk and both use the same laptop cooling pad, and I removed the Power4Gear and use the same windows power options. I'm glad to know it's not normal at least, perhaps I can get a replacement with the right temps.

Maxter
07-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Actually, I just noticed you have the 870m version... I'm running the 765m version (runs a lot cooler and it's slower). In any case, 90C just sounds too high for the excellent cooling provided by these laptop models... My old ROG G1S had a 8600m and ran at 95C. But that's back in the day.