PDA

View Full Version : GTX 880m 60hz vs GTX 780m 120hz?

M_U_M_M_Y
07-26-2014, 11:29 PM
On the verge of buying a new laptop, I can't seem to decide which laptop to go with. So I have a few questions, I'd really appreciate if you could help me with my questions.

First of all I really wanna go with a 120hz screen, so I looked online and couldn't find it but do Asus have a 120hz version with GTX 8 series graphics card?

If not;
Would it make a big difference if I go with GTX 780m 4GB, instead of GTX 880m 4GB.(The only 120hz I can find comes with 780m)

And finally, If I decide not to go with the 780m, is there a lot of difference between an 880m 4GB and 880m 8GB?

During the school, I will be using the laptop mostly for design and rendering programs for architecture, like "Photoshop", "Rhino", "AutoCAD", "Vray", etc. But I play games when I have time. Hope this helps.

dblkk
07-27-2014, 09:51 PM
On the verge of buying a new laptop, I can't seem to decide which laptop to go with. So I have a few questions, I'd really appreciate if you could help me with my questions.

First of all I really wanna go with a 120hz screen, so I looked online and couldn't find it but do Asus have a 120hz version with GTX 8 series graphics card?

If not;
Would it make a big difference if I go with GTX 780m 4GB, instead of GTX 880m 4GB.(The only 120hz I can find comes with 780m)

And finally, If I decide not to go with the 780m, is there a lot of difference between an 880m 4GB and 880m 8GB?

During the school, I will be using the laptop mostly for design and rendering programs for architecture, like "Photoshop", "Rhino", "AutoCAD", "Vray", etc. But I play games when I have time. Hope this helps.

Battery life not gaming will be hours more with the 880m as its optimus enabled. That said, if this doesn't matter to you and you will be plugged in most times or be demanding while on battery, the 780m option is the best.

The 780m can be overclocked to the performance of a 880m.

The cpu will be cooler with the 780m option. As for 4gb vs 8gb no difference.

And there is no option for 120hz for 880m, and the 120hz option is a really nice thing to have.

Darnassus
07-28-2014, 12:01 AM
I wish I got the 3D.. just for fun..

M_U_M_M_Y
07-28-2014, 02:37 AM
Battery life not gaming will be hours more with the 880m as its optimus enabled. That said, if this doesn't matter to you and you will be plugged in most times or be demanding while on battery, the 780m option is the best.

The 780m can be overclocked to the performance of a 880m.

The cpu will be cooler with the 780m option. As for 4gb vs 8gb no difference.

And there is no option for 120hz for 880m, and the 120hz option is a really nice thing to have.
It will be plugged in most of the times, yes. Other than the battery improvement, having an 880m doesn't really make a huge difference then?

Darnassus
07-28-2014, 02:40 AM
It will be plugged in most of the times, yes. Other than the battery improvement, having an 880m doesn't really make a huge difference then?

Probably more of a hassle because of Optimus.

I don't see this gaming on battery anyhow, I mean.. she's a big girl, I wouldn't game on a train with it or something.

M_U_M_M_Y
07-28-2014, 02:46 AM
Sounds good then. And lastly, would going with an aftermarket 120hz screen be a bad decision? Like getting it from xoticpc.

Darnassus
07-28-2014, 03:57 AM
I bought mine local just in case I had to drive back and return it if it was faulty.

I had the chance to return it within 7 days and I found a few issues, but I decided to remedy them myself and move on.

FalconFX
07-31-2014, 04:04 PM
i would go with a 780m one, there are all sorts of problems with the new models from sound to ports etc. and thats because they are still very recent, and you might get a faulty one pretty easily, i bought a JH 15 days ago, the only problem was wifi, and solved with the new driver. for me, i would have bought the 3D model if it was available, but i dont mind not having it either, so its the same for me. All in all, i would choose pieace of mind over staying on the cutting edge of hardware, ( because it might aswell cut you, see what i did there lol :D )

Wr3ckloose
07-31-2014, 10:06 PM
from what i hear, 120hz is overkill and most games wont push past 60fps 60hz...or anything for that matter. also , its said that the human eye cant see past 60fps anyways.