PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ Recovery Partition Deleted?

owvp702
07-27-2014, 06:47 AM
Okay i was a total dumbass and deleted the recovery partition along with everything else when i first got my JZ without doing any sort of back up or anything like that. Does anyone have a recovery partition they could upload so that i can grab or know where i can download one. I've looked online and i've found a recovery partition download for the JX but not the JZ. Yeah i know i'm a total dumbass but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

maxulixes
07-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I have the exact same problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Tahnk you

hellowold
07-28-2014, 12:39 PM
With the serial of the laptop you can request a recovery media from ASUS - takes some time for sure.

owvp702
07-28-2014, 03:58 PM
ugh so i called support and of course they want me to send it in. I want to avoid doing that though. I know there are some people out there with the JZ, and i can't believe that the recovery partition hasn't been uploaded to the web for all of the different models.

swaaye
07-28-2014, 04:43 PM
The problem is you'll get somebody else's Windows key. Not a good idea to share that partition.

owvp702
07-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Duh, didn't even think of that. Makes sense then. Damnit

swaaye
07-29-2014, 03:01 AM
I bought my G750jm used from Ebay and the former owner had wiped the partition as well. You can always install Windows 8.1 from a MSDN ISO and those can be found fairly easily. All drivers are on the ASUS site. Hopefully you have your WIndows key. It can be pulled from a current Windows install with a program like Keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/)

cl-Albert
07-29-2014, 04:39 PM
The problem is you'll get somebody else's Windows key. Not a good idea to share that partition.

As far as I know, if you use an ASUS Backtracker back-up for your same model from somebody else, it should somehow grab the Windows product key from your notebook motherboard bios, so something we may still want to look into more.

It's probably not easy to find a local store (with a 'demo' unit?) willing to let you create the ASUS Backtracker back-up (for a fee?), but it's one more idea. Compare the last 5 characters of the Windows product key from the backed-up unit with your unit to confirm it's showing the product key from the bios.

Edit: Looks like Win8.1 Update may hide even the last 5 characters of the Windows product key now, so not as easy to check now, unfortunately.

owvp702
07-30-2014, 02:00 AM
I actually gave up and just sent it in to asus support with RMA number. Only thing I don't like is support said on the phone that they have no idea if they'll charge me or not. I'll be passed if I paid to ship the thing, go a week without it, and then get charged some ridiculous amount. What kind of business says to send it in, gives you an RMA number then says they have no idea if or how much they'll charge? Hopefully they just reload everything g and be done with it but we'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime.....come on ASUS! Load these images on and support site or allow us to request them or something dang it.

In ASUS'S defense, yes I was an idiot for deleting the damn thing in the first place before backup

Darnassus
07-30-2014, 02:34 AM
I actually gave up and just sent it in to asus support with RMA number. Only thing I don't like is support said on the phone that they have no idea if they'll charge me or not. I'll be passed if I paid to ship the thing, go a week without it, and then get charged some ridiculous amount. What kind of business says to send it in, gives you an RMA number then says they have no idea if or how much they'll charge? Hopefully they just reload everything g and be done with it but we'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime.....come on ASUS! Load these images on and support site or allow us to request them or something dang it.

In ASUS'S defense, yes I was an idiot for deleting the damn thing in the first place before backup

;D

Don't admit it's your fault. They then have reason to charge you.