PDA

View Full Version : are cooling pads necessary in g750?

braxxx
07-29-2014, 09:52 PM
hi guys! its been said that the g750 series has a great cooling system but it still runs hot. my question is, does cooling pads really help with the temps? and did any of you guys use a CM Storm SF-19 Gaming Laptop Cooling Pad with Two 140mm Turbine Fans (SGA-4000-KKNF1)? its a bit expensive and i wonder if its worth it?

Darnassus
07-30-2014, 01:08 AM
If you're going to get a cooling pad, make sure it has a dust filter or something to catch the dust in.

Honestly I don't feel the G750 needs a cooling pad, even if the undersurface is blocked, the unit can still breathe from the top (behind the screen hinge)

I myself have a cooling pad though I don't use it, I just have it to raise my unit on a steeper angle since I like a more aggressive wedge shape for my typing.

.. although while doing this, it gives it a more free gap for air flow beneath the unit.

So I guess you don't really need a cooling pad that blows, more-so just a surface that allows air to come in from underneath.

Maxter
07-30-2014, 01:12 AM
You'll be lucky if the cooling pad decreases more than a couple degrees C. Architecture is too good

braxxx
07-30-2014, 01:43 AM
Thanks guys..i'll stick to my old cooling pad then.:)

Darnassus
07-30-2014, 01:56 AM
Don't forget, as long as you're normally below 80, you're great. Heavy games? 85? That's okay. If you hit over 90, though.. then you've got a problem.

BirdOPrey5
07-30-2014, 08:35 PM
FWIW I bought a cooling pad when I first bought my G750JX... I used it religiously for 6 months. Then I found a utility to monitor the core temps. I found absolutely no difference in temperatures with or without the cooling pad- and that includes when all cores were at 100% on week long 3D renders using POV-Ray.

Needless to say I don't bother with it anymore.