PDA

View Full Version : Just received my G74SX-XN1!

Ghinkinis
10-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Hey all, first time poster, long time ASUS user.
I just recieved my G74SX-XN1 today from newegg.com and I could not be more excited.
This is my first DTR laptop, and I was wondering if you fine folks would have any advice for a gaming laptop newbie such as myself regarding setting up this notebook for peak performance.
I've done a little homework of my own about setting up a new laptop, but I found little information specific to my model. Thanks in advance!

Icemanforlife
10-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Congrats. One thing i would recommend is adjusting your volume settings. Look at the post Chastity did. http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3168-Low-Audio-on-G74SX-Here-s-the-fix

Also maybe look at throttlestop http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround

spectroplasm
10-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Congrats mate :), also update your drivers, all of them. As some users state the drivers that come with it are outdated. Have fun!!

Ghinkinis
10-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the advice! 2 quick questions:
1. Is there any great benefit to reinstalling my OS if I am thorough in removing bloat ware?
2. Should I run any kind of benchmark/stress test?

Chastity@ASUS
10-19-2011, 09:38 PM
You can uninstall the bloatware manually in Control Panel.

Dodedrommer
10-19-2011, 11:45 PM
hi sorry for using your thread but i want to get the G74SX-XN1 to from Newegg and i was wondering if that came with the backpack and the mouse like the other G74SXs? please reply

Ghinkinis
10-20-2011, 12:15 AM
You can uninstall the bloatware manually in Control Panel.
Is there any way to find out what I have to keep and what I can get rid of? Also would a program like ccleaner help make sure everything was removed?

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Is there any way to find out what I have to keep and what I can get rid of? Also would a program like ccleaner help make sure everything was removed?

This guide gives you an idea what all the bloat does. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html

But I only kept Power4Gear Hybrid, Fastboot, Wireless Console 3, and Lifeframe3. I'd definitely uninstall Asus Update, and that Asus online storage thing.

Update your drivers starting with the WiFi driver (I'm assuming you have the Atheros WiFi card). Use v9.2.1.432 from Chastity's driver thread. http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

Take it slow, though. And read, read, read this forum.

CCleaner might help a little, but for cleaning up after uninstalls, TotalIninstaller is what I like.

fostert
10-20-2011, 02:51 AM
On my own G74SX-CST1 the first thing I did was burn a recovery DVD. Then I downloaded Hiren's BootCD, Windows 7, and the ASUS eDriver disk, both of which Chastity linked in the Sticky threads for this forum. The rest is easy: boot Hirens, remake the partitions on your drives the way you like them and get rid of the 25 GB "hidden" partition containing the recovery install (that you just backed up), install Windows 7 HP, and stick in the DVD with the ASUS drivers. Install only the ones you want. Finally, activate Windows using the product key on the sticker on the underside of the notebook.

Takes a couple hours, but its worth it: there is no trace of the bloatware, your registry is clean, primed and unfragmented (uninstalling via control panel always leaves ghost garbage in your registry), and you have the disk partitioned the way you want, having recovered space from the hidden partition.

Or do like we do with new systems at work: install Linux, type "rm -rf Windows", and enjoy a real OS! ;)

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Not to jump all over you or anything, but this isn't good advice to give an apparant newbie. Let them learn the basics...

fostert
10-20-2011, 06:36 PM
You're right...treat the above approach as intermediate to advanced: perhaps for down the road when Windows starts to degrade in performance due to registry bloat.
I always do like that fresh installed feeling, though! :o

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 06:39 PM
So do I, that's why I make a backup image after a fresh install! :)

Ghinkinis
10-21-2011, 06:19 AM
You're right...treat the above approach as intermediate to advanced: perhaps for down the road when Windows starts to degrade in performance due to registry bloat.
I always do like that fresh installed feeling, though! :o
I probably should have mentioned my skill level in my OP. I have built every computer I have owned up till now. My choice to switch to a DTR laptop came out of necessity for portability in living and traveling abroad. Basically, I can follow clear instructions exactly, and know how to get myself out of trouble if something unexpected were to occur. That being said, I'm not sure what Hiren's BootCD is supposed to accomplish, were I to re-install my OS. (Is it the only thing that will allow me to remove the hidden backup partition?) Other than that, all of you folks' advice sounds "business as usual" for me. I'm really dedicated to getting this machine in prime shape before I even install my first game, so any further help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone, although I am new, I am glad to be a member of the ASUS ROG community already.

dstrakele
10-22-2011, 01:03 AM
I've never used it, but I think the Hiren's BootCD is simply a freeware alternative to Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost. It allows you to create your own up-to-date Disk Image (with latest drivers and apps) to restore, rather than restoring to the hidden partition ASUS factory image.

fostert
10-22-2011, 03:20 AM
Among many other tools (including disk imaging as mentioned above by dstrakele), Hirens has the freeware disk partitioner gparted (basically the gnu version of PartitionMagic) which allows you view, resize, format, delete etc partitions, both hidden and not. You can boot a mini-version of Linux off the CD from which you can run gparted and repartition & format your main HDDs.

It certainly isn't the only disk partition software out there; heck maybe even the Windows Disk Manglement tool will work? Not sure if one can see hidden partitions in it. I don't like it that much because it limits you on how much you can shrink your windows parition (you can shrink to any size using gparted).

I just wanted a tool to wipe everything and start clean, as I wanted to repartition and prepare the two HDDs in the G74 (two 500 GBs) for a dual boot Linux/Windows 7 system.

Ghinkinis
10-24-2011, 04:38 AM
Well, did a fresh install of Win7. Got ThrottleStop running (CPUZ puts me at around 2.55ghz when running games,) and updated all my drivers. Finally got around to installing some games to try them out, and TBH, I'm a little confused. So Far, I have tried out the Witcher 2 and Crysis 2 (I know these are some of the more GPU/CPU intensive games.) Been running both games at 1900x1080 resolution. The Witcher 2 runs with low settings around 25-30fps and high 17-21fps. Crysis DX11 (with high rez texture pack) runs with high (the lowest for DX11) at 25-30 fps and Ultra at 13-25fps. Looking at the average benchmarks for these games, the low settings look like they are supposed to have a much higher FPS. I'm not expecting this thing to be playable with anything on ultra, but i'm just confused why there is so little difference between low and high... and why low setting seems to not produce a more desirable FPS.

If anyone has any experience working with these (or other) games on the g74sx series, please share your experience with me so I can get this figured out.

If you guys need any more info, let me know what exactly, and I can post it here. Thanks again.

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 01:31 PM
When you say you updated all your drivers, where did you download them from?

Which, if any, Asus apps did you install?

Did you try disabling your antivirus to see if that helps? AV's sometimes drag down the system resources.

Download and run DCP Latency checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) . When you look at the display, just sitting there, running nothing else, do you see red spikes?