PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Harddrive problem

gamma113
10-19-2011, 08:31 AM
I am unable find the disk and use my "disk 0 Primary partition" hard drive
> 465.76GB.
> Please see the attached photo with 'red circle'.
>
> Can you please tell me how can i enable the disk, so it's accessable under
> windows 7?
> Thanks

BrodyBoy
10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Has it ever shown in Windows Explorer, or did this start after some change?

Normally, Windows should detect a drive on start-up and assign a drive letter. Have you tried assigning a drive letter manually? (In that same screen you show above, select Disc 0, right-click, "Change drive letter and paths...")

JRd1st
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Is it a hidden partition? The recovery partition is hidden.

Yahooligan
10-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Windows is unable to detect the filesystem type for that drive/partition. What was that drive used for previously? Is it a new drive? If new then you must format it before it can be used.

BrodyBoy
10-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Is it a hidden partition? The recovery partition is hidden.
If you look closely, Disc 1 is the one with the recovery and OS partitions. So oddly, Disc 0 looks like it's supposed to be the secondary data drive...the reverse of the normal setup.

Windows is unable to detect the filesystem type for that drive/partition. What was that drive used for previously? Is it a new drive? If new then you must format it before it can be used.
That's what I thought too. Unless there's important data on it, I'd reformat.

gamma113
10-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I bought my G74sx end of last week. It's brand new laptop. There is nothing in Disc 0 and i cannot access or assign a driver letter to it. Any ideas on How can i reformat disk 0? Thanks

Yahooligan
10-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I bought my G74sx end of last week. It's brand new laptop. There is nothing in Disc 0 and i cannot access or assign a driver letter to it. Any ideas on How can i reformat disk 0? Thanks

In "Disk Management", right-click the large unknown partition on disk 0 and you should see a delete option. Delete it, create a new partition, then format the new partition as NTFS.

dstrakele
10-19-2011, 07:23 PM
If it is brand new and you have made no changes to the HDD, I would contact the retailer and see if they can exchange it for a new laptop. The HDD's should just work on a new system and not require any troubleshooting.

Yahooligan
10-19-2011, 07:47 PM
If it is brand new and you have made no changes to the HDD, I would contact the retailer and see if they can exchange it for a new laptop. The HDD's should just work on a new system and not require any troubleshooting.

Why would he do that when there's no actual problem? The primary drive used by Windows has all of the normal partitions (Recovery, C:, D:). The 2nd drive (First according to the BIOS) is unused. Perhaps the OP custom ordered the laptop with a 2nd drive installed? In which case the vendor is to blame, not ASUS. OP didn't provide the exact G74SX model so we could see what the factory config is/was.

Do any G74SX come with 2x500GB as standard? Thought it was just 2x750GB for the 1.5TB models.

dstrakele
10-19-2011, 07:51 PM
That is why I prefaced the comment with "..and you have made no changes to the HDD...". If he was installing a new drive, that would be a change, right? Perhaps "...and you have made no changes to the originall HDD configuration of your system.." would have been more clear.

"Return to the retailer" would mean whoever sold the system (most likely the one who also customized it) - not ASUS.

Yahooligan
10-19-2011, 07:59 PM
That is why I prefaced the comment with "..and you have made no changes to the HDD...". If he was installing a new drive, that would be a change, right?

Yes, but as I said it could've been a vendor mod. For example, if he ordered a G74SX-XR1 from xoticpc.com and changed the HDD from 1x640GB drive to 2x500GB drives then it would be a custom-ordered config that neither he nor ASUS changed but instead the vendor did a drive swap. How they would configure the 2nd drive, if they configured it at all, I don't know. The fact that the primary Windows drive is installed in the 2nd drive bay suggests that his laptop was custom ordered. I don't think ASUS would install the primary drive in the secondary bay, let alone have it unformatted.

dstrakele
10-19-2011, 08:04 PM
In this case, XoticPC would be the retailer, and the OP should contact XoticPC.

Yahooligan
10-19-2011, 08:37 PM
In this case, XoticPC would be the retailer, and the OP should contact XoticPC.

Based on what I've seen, XoticPC doesn't format everything. Here's just one example.

http://www.xoticpcforums.com/showthread.php?t=5551

Point is, there's nothing "wrong" with the laptop. The OP just needs to partition and format the 2nd disk. I don't know where the OP bought their laptop, I was using XoticPC as an example of a vendor that does custom laptops. There are other vendors that offer the same or similar customizations.

dstrakele
10-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Agreed - Looking at the Disk Management image, Disk0 has a single partition on it, but it is unformatted. The OP needs only to right-click on it and choose "Format" from the popup menu.

gamma113
10-20-2011, 07:46 AM
In "Disk Management", right-click the large unknown partition on disk 0 and you should see a delete option. Delete it, create a new partition, then format the new partition as NTFS.

I have followed your instructions! it works!

Thank you all for the help! I will now resume on my gaming with my new G74SX :D

griff71
10-22-2011, 06:49 AM
haha. nice 1 for this post, i just got my g74 today and after installing my first bit of software my e drive disappeared too. thanks guys.

JRd1st
10-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Based on what I've seen, XoticPC doesn't format everything.

That's sort of shoddy, don't you think?

Yahooligan
10-22-2011, 03:08 PM
That's sort of shoddy, don't you think?

Not at all, XoticPC is a great company with awesome customer support. If you custom order a PC and don't specify any particular way you want it partitioned but just specify you want a 2nd drive, why would they do anything? An end-user customizing a laptop likely knows how THEY want it partitioned.

JRd1st
10-22-2011, 03:29 PM
An end-user customizing a laptop likely knows how THEY want it partitioned.

... except the OP.

Yahooligan
10-22-2011, 06:53 PM
... except the OP.

There will always be exceptions. ;)