PDA

View Full Version : Why is recovery partion empty on new G750?

RayGobot
08-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Hi everyone;

I bought a new G750 today and have been setting it up this afternoon.

I didn't like how the two 1TB drives were partitioned into 4 drives, so I've been trying to get them both to two full partitions (the non OS drive is easy)

I made a recovery drive in case I mess something up, but I did notice that the recovery partition on the main HDD is empty. (In Disk Management), it says there are TWO recovery partition's one is 20.01GB and another is 900MB. And both say they have 100% free space.

This doesn't make sense to me, first off, why are there two recovery partitions, and why is no info stored on either of them?

Pressing F9 at boot brings up the Windows 8 recovery, but I can't restore to anything because unless I have a USB drive attached, there's nothing for it to restore from.

It seems stupid for them to include an empty recovery partition

If I recover windows from the USB drive I made, will it re-format the drive copy recovery data to the recovery partition?

cl-Albert
08-02-2014, 12:19 AM
If I recover windows from the USB drive I made, will it re-format the drive copy recovery data to the recovery partition?

Hi and welcome to the forums!

If you created the Recovery Drive from Windows, it's supposed to just copy the recovery files to your USB drive as far as I know, but don't believe it can restore your recovery partition if deleted. Honestly I haven't investigated it too much though if you want to get more opinions or look into it more.

If you didn't already know, normally you want to use ASUS Backtracker as mentioned in the thread below to back-up your recovery partition which will also restore your recovery partition.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition&country=&status=

If your recovery partition was really empty when you created the Windows Recovery drive expect it would have given you an error, or at least you cannot use the USB drive to 'reset' or 'refresh' if you want to try this (back-up any important data first).

Edit: Please check my update in post #4 below.

RayGobot
08-02-2014, 01:59 AM
Is it normal for Disk Manager to show the recovery partition as having 100% free space?

What's the point of having a recovery partition on the drive, if you need to use a separate USB drive to make a recovery image and do a system restore?

cl-Albert
08-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Is it normal for Disk Manager to show the recovery partition as having 100% free space?

What's the point of having a recovery partition on the drive, if you need to use a separate USB drive to make a recovery image and do a system restore?

Hi, sorry, didn't check Disk Management of my G750JZ test unit before replying last time, and to my surprise, it also shows the 20Gb recovery partition with 100% free space, but appears to be either some kind of bug or misrepresentation of the disk space since there was no problem to 'reset' Windows using the recovery partition.

You may want to do more verification on your side, but those partitions may not really be empty despite what Disk Manager is saying.

redduc900
08-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Pressing F9 at boot brings up the Windows 8 recovery, but I can't restore to anything because unless I have a USB drive attached, there's nothing for it to restore from.
You don't need to insert a thumb drive in order to restore the factory image. After pressing F9, and once at the Options menu, select Troubleshoot--> Reset your PC--> Only the drive where Windows is installed--> Just remove my files.

How to refresh or reset system on Windows 8 pre-installed Notebook PC ?
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1003728

The data contained within the recovery partitions is hidden from the Disk Management snap-in for the sake of the user's safety. In order to view the data on the partition(s) you would need to use a 3rd party partitioning app. Any modification to either partition will result in you not being able to restore the factory image via the F9 Options screen.