PDA

View Full Version : Repartitioning G750J - please help

owvp702
08-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Okay so the laptop comes with 4 partitions however i want to set it up where my SSD is one partition and my HD is a second partition. I want to do this without a clean install but i'm not sure of the best way to do this. My main concern is the recovery partition. if i use the backtracker software can i delete that partition afterwards? If so then that makes things easier because i think all you have to do is delete/extend the partitions right?

Maxter
08-05-2014, 03:57 PM
I used backtrack from my HDD to install my new SSD. The backtracker did its own 20GB recovery partition on my new SSD, aside from the Win8 partitions (total of 4, 1 is the main OS usable partition). The SSD looks just like the HDD it came with in terms of data, therefore, I can delete everything from my HDD. The recommendation around is that you buy a 16GB USB drive and use the backtracker to copy the files there and save it just in case. You should be able to fully format the HDD after you have the new system installed in the SSD.

Prostar Computer
08-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Okay so the laptop comes with 4 partitions however i want to set it up where my SSD is one partition and my HD is a second partition.

It doesn't quite work that way. You can partition each drive individually; the SSD with one partition and the second drive with one partition independent of one another. You can't have two drives as one volume containing multiple partitions, though. The drives are independent of each other, as will be the partition(s) on each drive.

I want to do this without a clean install but i'm not sure of the best way to do this. My main concern is the recovery partition. if i use the backtracker software can i delete that partition afterwards? If so then that makes things easier because i think all you have to do is delete/extend the partitions right?

You can remove the partition, yes. Just be sure you have a recovery image to fall back on! Once you have deleted a partition, you can extend the C: (OS) partition as long as the unallocated space from the deleted partition is adjacent to the OS partition.