PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a G750 with Windows 7?

ABNEGATION
08-07-2014, 12:06 AM
We're not fans of WIndows 8. Is there a way to get a ROG laptop with Windows 7 installed, instead?

pokerface
08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
There are some custom Laptop sites that sell them with Windows 7.

Even if you don't choose to buy from them, you can always buy it and install Windows 7 yourself. Googling your laptop's model followed by "clean install guide" will give you very nice step by step guides that are easy to follow.

I like you can never stand and will never use Windows 8.1 after having had given it so many chances but it's just one buggy OS.

Here are some sites that sell custom laptops:

http://www.powernotebooks.com/

http://www.xoticpc.com/

Maxter
08-07-2014, 04:01 PM
windows 8 + classic shell = windows 7 for me... try it out if you can't get one with windows 7.

pokerface
08-07-2014, 07:04 PM
windows 8 + classic shell = windows 7 for me... try it out if you can't get one with windows 7.

Maybe for you, but in reality, Windows 8 is nothing like Windows 7

Windows 7 is faster in every benchmark I've done except for the 3DMark Fire Strike is that is specifically made and optimized for Windows 8. Otherwise, Windows 7 beats 8 in SSD Benchmarks, 3DMark, you name it. I've personally tested both side by side. Oh I fofrogt, AND RAM benchmarks in Windows 8 are miles better than in 8

Here are some benchmarks for you:

http://www.techbuyersguru.com/windowsgaming.php

Now 8 + Start Menu DOES NOT Equal 7. It may look like it, but me personally I don't want to have a metro interface in the background taking up my resources and certainly don't want a touch screen OS on a laptop. Windows 8.1 has many quirks for me,

Example, If I reboot in Windows 7, yes it takes longer to reach to the desktop but when it does reach, all my drivers and most the services are already loaded, so I have WiFi connectivity the moment I see the desktop. With Windows 8.1, since it fakes users to make them think it booted faster when all it did really was skip some drivers like bluetooth and wireless and some services so yes it does reach the desktop faster but everything is NOT loaded, result? I cannot connect to my Wireless connection which is an ASUS RT-AC68U with my Wireless-N Killer 1202. After a minute, I see the connection and can connect

now that's just one quirk, I can list at least 10 but I really don't want to bore you with this crappy OS

just my 2 cents, if you like 8, Im glad you were able to adapt to it.

ABNEGATION
08-07-2014, 10:44 PM
I thought installing my own copy of Windows 7 would cause issues if ever we needed to restore the machine to factory settings, but I imagine it would just go back to the original Windows 8 install.

pokerface
08-08-2014, 01:09 AM
I thought installing my own copy of Windows 7 would cause issues if ever we needed to restore the machine to factory settings, but I imagine it would just go back to the original Windows 8 install.

Did you search for what I told you? you didn't! if you had read any of those guides, it clearly mentions to use ASUS BackTracker to backup your recovery partition onto a USB Flash Disk.

That way, if you ever want to go back to the factory state when you bought your laptop, you simply change the boot mode in BIOS back to UEFI and insert the USB Flash Disk then boot from it and start the recovery process

KoolASUS
08-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Maybe for you, but in reality, Windows 8 is nothing like Windows 7

Windows 7 is faster in every benchmark I've done except for the 3DMark Fire Strike is that is specifically made and optimized for Windows 8. Otherwise, Windows 7 beats 8 in SSD Benchmarks, 3DMark, you name it. I've personally tested both side by side. Oh I fofrogt, AND RAM benchmarks in Windows 8 are miles better than in 8

Here are some benchmarks for you:

http://www.techbuyersguru.com/windowsgaming.php

Now 8 + Start Menu DOES NOT Equal 7. It may look like it, but me personally I don't want to have a metro interface in the background taking up my resources and certainly don't want a touch screen OS on a laptop. Windows 8.1 has many quirks for me,

Example, If I reboot in Windows 7, yes it takes longer to reach to the desktop but when it does reach, all my drivers and most the services are already loaded, so I have WiFi connectivity the moment I see the desktop. With Windows 8.1, since it fakes users to make them think it booted faster when all it did really was skip some drivers like bluetooth and wireless and some services so yes it does reach the desktop faster but everything is NOT loaded, result? I cannot connect to my Wireless connection which is an ASUS RT-AC68U with my Wireless-N Killer 1202. After a minute, I see the connection and can connect

now that's just one quirk, I can list at least 10 but I really don't want to bore you with this crappy OS

just my 2 cents, if you like 8, Im glad you were able to adapt to it.

Hello,

just wanted to say that I'm not a big fan of Win8 either. But since I didn't have a choice when buying the Asus G750JH, I tried to deal with it.
I miss Aero a lot.

But, to be honest, I found Win8 rather good for gaming. "old" and often problematic games run without any problem. (Ultima 9, Bioshock 1 and Bioshock 2, Morrowind, Doom 3). One of the few apps that don't launch is for example 3DMark 2000, but it could be the Geforce 780M or/and its driver (3DMark 2001 works).

Note that I stayed on Win8 (auto-update is OFF of course), I didn't upgrade to 8.1

The performance seems good to me.

And when I turn on the laptop, I DO HAVE Wifi IMMEDIATELY (say in 5-7 secs : time to see the ROG logo, the auto-login, ClassicShell going to desktop, and me quickly launching Opera 12.17 and refreshing some tabs to check the effectiveness of an internet connection); a "real restart" only takes a few seconds (5-10) more.
So, maybe it's your Alienware ?

You can find numerous "Win7 vs Win8" threads, each with its different conclusion.

It seems Windows 9 will bring back "some" Aero features and be much more "desktop friendly". That may be the solution ?