PDA

View Full Version : G74SX - Can't connect to N networks?

skullbussa
10-20-2011, 03:11 AM
I just bought a G74SX that uses the Atheros wifi.

I have no problem seeing the 802.11g network on my dual-band router but my laptop doesn't detect the N network at all? My MacBook and Dell laptop can see it just fine.

Going into the CCX Diagnostic utility, it shows Wireless Mode as 2.4 Ghz.

What do I have to do to get this thing to connect to a N network? The bottom of my laptop is stamped with a sticker that says it connects to 802.11n so what's the deal?

Yahooligan
10-20-2011, 03:18 AM
The Atheros card can only connect to 2.4GHz 802.11n networks, if you've set up your wireless-N router to only use 5GHz for N then the laptop won't see it. I have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz N networks in my house (Different SSIDs), the Atheros only saw the 2.4GHz but the Intel 6230 card I installed today can see and connect to both.

Check your router's wifi settings for N and make sure it's set to actually use both frequencies.

dstrakele
10-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Go into Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right-click on the Atheros Wireless Adapter, and choose Properties from the popup menu and click on the Advanced tab. Select "Wireless Mode Selection" and set it to "Auto".

"Auto" should be the default, but if it was set to "b/g only", that would explain the behavior you report.

skullbussa
10-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Thanks guys, i will check both of these things!

dstrakele
10-20-2011, 03:39 AM
You're welcome, skullbussa. I have the stock Atheros AR9002WB-1NG and am broadcasting N only from my router. I can confirm it sees it and connects without problem.

I recommend you update to the latest Atheros 9.2.1.432 driver. There is a link for it and other drivers on http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

(And if you actually read the thread, you may see when JRd1st notifies everyone about the latest driver or BIOS release from the ASUS ftp site.)