PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows 7 on a Windows 8 laptop, need help pls.

GrasslandShield
08-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Hi guys,

I'm a proud owner of two beautiful Republic of Gamers laptops, the G73 and also my new G46.

My G73 originally came with Windows 7, good laptop, did everything I needed it to do.

Recently, I pick up a new RoG laptop, this time the sleek and portable 14.1" G46 pre-loaded with Windows 8. Brought it home, used it for a while, updated to Windows 8.1. And now, after a bit of use, I've got no more faith in WIndows 8, at all. Maybe someday they will deal with their issues but for me, a gamer, there is no way I can function with it. Sure, most of my high end, CoH2, TW Series and whatnot are doable. But see, I don't just jam the newest releases, I've got games going back 10, 15, 20 years old that I play from time to time. This is where Windows 8 has the problem, frigging system needs to be tweaked for a half hour and even then certain games will just not work, at all.

As a gamer, I'm not about to let my pc limit me in this way. I absolutely have to get Windows 7 installed on my machine.

Does anyone have any experiece putting a basic copy Windows 7 onto a RoG machine?

I really hope there's some people out there who can help out this situation

GrasslandShield
08-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Alright, I've actually done quite a bit of work already, I have the laptop already loaded with Windows 7, and my main drivers.

Now, when I download drivers off of the Asus website, it looks like they are all basically for Windows 8, and they don't really work. When I download Asus LiveUpdate, it's telling me it's only for Asus products, as if the pc I'm sitting in front of right now is not a G46. Where can I find some drivers that are compatible with my computer? How can I get my wifi online?

Really appreciate some help, guys, thanks

Clintlgm
08-09-2014, 01:02 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29983-Clean-Windows-7-on-Asus-G75VX-(Win8-pre-installed)&country=&status=
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=
These should answer your questions.

Clintlgm
08-09-2014, 01:10 AM
well that's the issue, there were no G46 Win 7note books , it originally shipped with Win 8, your going to have to get the drivers from the manufactures web sites,
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth seem to be the most problems

I would advise taking Asus Live update off your notebook. There is the chance that it could initiate a BIOS upgrade and brick your notebook.

GottiBoi55
08-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Try this link>>>>>G46vw windows 7 drivers (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?31655-g46vw-windows-7-drivers)
Could shed some insight on the downgrade.
Says most W8 drivers will work!

GrasslandShield
08-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Hey I want to give you guys a big thanks. I appreciate the help so much.

Listen, I downloaded the file from GottiBoi's link. I have a small problem though. I don't know how to install these drivers. There isn't any executable file, just some .cat files some .dll, .inf and some .sys

What do these files do and how do I use them?

Clintlgm
08-15-2014, 12:59 AM
I just looked through that thread, it appears that you would have down loaded the win 8 drivers from Asus Support Download, the Chipset RST, IME, USB 3.0 and the wireless drivers from Intel, all of these should have an setup.exe file. Which you load them with. the exception would be the Chipset drivers they have to be loaded from an elevated Command Prompt

Each driver package should be extracted to a folder Named Audio, Video, USB 3.0 etc create the folders first then download the package for each one. then I usual just extract them to the same folder they are downloaded to.

Chipset drivers. you would
you would extract that file to a folder your create on the root of your c:\ name it Chip.

Open a elevated Command prompt
cd\
cd\Chip
Chip
setup.exe -overall -override

You will then see the chipset installer come up and start installing drivers and inf files.
exit

This is my set up for driver folders