PDA

View Full Version : G75VW - Bios not recognising HDD's

mxa1990
08-09-2014, 04:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Sorry, I posted in wrong section and I don't know how to delete so I'm posting it in the right area

I'm new to this forum, after reading some good threads I thought I would put some details of my problems I'm encountering with my notebook.

I have a G75VW - Upgraded ram to 16gb, have both an SSD and a Hybrid.

It was working perfectly before, and all of the sudden my windows crashed and I restarted it. It has happened numerous times but I let it slide because it was intermittent.

Recently, my notebook will not boot, it is coming up with an error: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert etc etc"
I have tried swapping my HDD's to the original factory with no luck.

I have also checked out the Bios and looked at the boot options, none of my hard drives are actually available to choose. So I'm stuck with this situation where I can even boot my notebook. I was thinking maybe it was a Bios problem and I needed to downgrade.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Clintlgm
08-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Notebook came with windows 7 or 8 current OS is? did this happen after upgrading the BIOS or changing setting in the BIOS?
It sounds like your boot sector has been damaged could be a defective hard drive, could just need to do a repair install since this developed over a long period of time I suspect your hard drive or SSD where ever your Boot sector is?

mxa1990
08-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Notebook came with windows 7 or 8 current OS is? did this happen after upgrading the BIOS or changing setting in the BIOS?
It sounds like your boot sector has been damaged could be a defective hard drive, could just need to do a repair install since this developed over a long period of time I suspect your hard drive or SSD where ever your Boot sector is?

My original OS is Windows 7. It started happening when I did a factory reset on my SSD to bring it back to the original factory settings.

I've tested multiple hard drives with the same problems so I'm not too sure.

I have somehow sorted it out by installing Windows 8.1 but I know eventually this error would appear again. So I'm just trying to pre-emp when it does happen again.

I know when the factory reset was done, a bios update was also done to 223 and that was when all the problems started happening. Also tried downgrading the bios with no luck.

Any suggestions/input would be appreciated.

P.S. When I installed 8.1 it would only allow me to install when the SATA was on 'Raid' now I'm trying to revert back to AHCI,but I don't know how to do it without having to re-install Windows. It seems Raid is a little slower, based on my boot times.

Clintlgm
08-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Your system was originally UEFI/GPT, Raid shouldn't be used unless your setting up at least 2 hard drives in a raid configuration! Installing window 7 is easy as you can legally download Win 7 SP1 home premium 64 bit ISO (http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/)

You'll want to check out these threadshttp://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status= http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/321097-how-install-windows-7-uefi-mode-usb.html and set up your USB Install media UEFT and Boot it UEFI have your bios set to AHCI UEfI Can't help much with the 223 BIOS I stopped upgrading it at 210. To many bricked Notebooks with 222 and 223 and no identifiable gains.
I don't believe there is anyway to go from RAID to AHIC wth out reinstalling. I could be wrong as I have never used Raid.