PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new G550JK and have a few questions.

arda.yilmaz.13
08-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Hey guys. As I said, I bought a new gamebook. But I still got a few questions. First of all the CPU's and GPU is overheating(I guess). When on desktop, CPU's -> 45-50 GPU -> 45 But when i join game or do something heavy, CPU's goes ->80-85 GPU goes -> 70-75. Is that a common issue or is that only happening to me. Oh, I nearly forgot. I don't have a notebook cooler. But PC's own fan's are working properly. Their air ways are open. If I buy a notebook cooler my temperatures go down? The second question is, G550 has an unremovable battery. I mean I can't remove it easily. If I use it plugged always, is that affect battery life? Because when I go unplugged, I can't play any games because of lagging. That's all for now. If I have an other issues, I'll let you guys know. Thanks \m/

Kelusion
08-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Hey guys. As I said, I bought a new gamebook. But I still got a few questions. First of all the CPU's and GPU is overheating(I guess). When on desktop, CPU's -> 45-50 GPU -> 45 But when i join game or do something heavy, CPU's goes ->80-85 GPU goes -> 70-75. Is that a common issue or is that only happening to me. Oh, I nearly forgot. I don't have a notebook cooler. But PC's own fan's are working properly. Their air ways are open. If I buy a notebook cooler my temperatures go down? The second question is, G550 has an unremovable battery. I mean I can't remove it easily. If I use it plugged always, is that affect battery life? Because when I go unplugged, I can't play any games because of lagging. That's all for now. If I have an other issues, I'll let you guys know. Thanks \m/

Hello and welcome to the Asus G550JK family :), the laptop itself is very good. There are some very good detailed threads here which you can see to help you with the overheating, mostly you need a monitor like CPUID HWMonitor which can see when the temps go up and all the information required. You also need to know which games cause this? Or is it all games? You can tweak around the video settings in game and am sure you'll definitely see better changes. I myself use a JZ and yea, don't think they need notebook cooler pads, as they have a great cooling system and my max temps always below 77C on GPU and 75C on CPU. Ofcourse getting one helps and does reduce the temps. Go ahead and download CPUID HWMonitor to know when the Temperature goes up and at during when,

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Secondly, to answer your battery question, it does not affect battery completely. I use my laptop always on AC power and have yet to see any issue with the battery when I travel and take the laptop with me and use it for normal usage only. Suprised though that it could give good battery without AC with normal usage too without any Games/Apps which require power/gpu etc. All in all, you'll love the laptop :) let us know it how it works out!

arda.yilmaz.13
08-10-2014, 03:17 PM
I really appreciate your answer and yeah that was really helpful. Thank you so much. My max. CPU temp. is 85 and I'm worried about if that harmful to use that levels for long hours. I know those PC's are made for gaming, but you know, we paid a little bit more according to other notebooks. We don't want to use our PC's bad. I want to see them cool.

Kelusion
08-10-2014, 03:42 PM
I really appreciate your answer and yeah that was really helpful. Thank you so much. My max. CPU temp. is 85 and I'm worried about if that harmful to use that levels for long hours. I know those PC's are made for gaming, but you know, we paid a little bit more according to other notebooks. We don't want to use our PC's bad. I want to see them cool.

Glad to hear that :), definitely the MAX Temp reached should be inconsistent and should always be reduced then the one hit at Max Peak. In your case this is fairly normal as above 90C is when you should be really worried why its going to that, also it all comes down and depend on what you are basically trying to do. If its at 85C at games/app you should see it reduced by tweaking the Game settings, normally I noticed my JZ used to get more CPU/GPU but tons of frames without hassle when the Vsync is off, when I turn it on everything comes down by 20C and then clocks at 58C and lower and a smooth performance so yeah it all helps in how you tweak it up! :) These machines are beasts and yea play around the settings see how you see it fit and what options, 85C is normal and like I said 90+C is where you should wonder more, although am 100% sure if you tweak the settings here/there you can see less then that 85C.

arda.yilmaz.13
08-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Thank you so much man. I really feel comfortable now. I can play my games now. Take care bro \m/

Kelusion
08-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Thank you so much man. I really feel comfortable now. I can play my games now. Take care bro \m/

Glad to hear that, enjoy your laptop :) and let us know how it all works out!

Jake_G
08-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Hi,
Just wondering if you are still experiencing the same heat issues. When I first got my G550JK, it was doing the same thing as yours, getting really hot, but I assumed it was normal and kept on playing. I have had no problems but the issue had stopped occurring, so I think it was either a driver update or just the computer components being broken in. I thought it was worth asking in case you are playing games on low settings to avoid overheating. Also as you may have already noticed, the reason that your games and other things may lag when on battery power is because when you unplug the power cable, the battery plan switches to power saving mode. You have two options to avoid this problem. The easiest one is to just switch the plan back to a higher performing one, or the next step would be if you want to preserve battery life whilst keeping optimal performance, open Nvidia GeForce Experience and configure the 'Settings' for the targeted FPS when on battery life.

I hope I hepled.
:)

arda.yilmaz.13
08-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Hi,
I just realized when I play online games like CS:GO,Infestation etc. I face that heating issue. It goes up to Max. 97C. But when I play offline games like Crysis, Skyrim, Dishonored etc. it doesn't heat so much. But now I stopped wondering about heat. You know its summer and its 35C outside. And I dont even have a notebook cooler. I'm gonna buy a cooler soon. People say that those coolers are working. Worth to try I guess.

Kath1390
09-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Hey everyone!

So I bought my 550JK about one week ago and I have experienced these heating issues :(

Since I have bought it, I have tried to play Assassin's Creed 4, but the laptop becomes really hot, and after around 1 hour of playing it, I get a blue screen and the laptop restarts.

I downloaded the CPUID HMWMonitor (thanks, Kelusion!), and, after 30 mins playing, my Max is over 80C.

I really dont want to get a cooler, but I'm not sure how to resolve this issue. I bought a new laptop to play AC4 (and other games) at their recommended settings, to get all full gaming experience, and things are not really working out :( Should I lower the settings? Should I wait for a cooler weather?

Thanks!

arda.yilmaz.13
09-05-2014, 07:19 PM
My max temp is 97 but it I didn't see a blue screen. Or it didn't restarted itself. What kind of pc is that :)

hmscott
09-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Hey everyone!
So I bought my 550JK about one week ago and I have experienced these heating issues :(
Since I have bought it, I have tried to play Assassin's Creed 4, but the laptop becomes really hot, and after around 1 hour of playing it, I get a blue screen and the laptop restarts.
I downloaded the CPUID HMWMonitor (thanks, Kelusion!), and, after 30 mins playing, my Max is over 80C.
I really dont want to get a cooler, but I'm not sure how to resolve this issue. I bought a new laptop to play AC4 (and other games) at their recommended settings, to get all full gaming experience, and things are not really working out :( Should I lower the settings? Should I wait for a cooler weather?
Thanks!

Kath1390, if you are getting BSOD's due to heat, you should return it to the vendor and get a new one, don't mess around with RMA if you are in the return period.

All thin laptops with high end CPU/GPU have problems getting the heat out under load, not just PC's but Mac's too.

I can't get a thin laptop due this heat issue, I do too much concurrent work and I always overheat my Mac's, but they don't crash - at least the ones I keep.

The G750 is about as small as you want to get physically to handle the routing, storing, and venting of heat. There is room in it for large heatsinks/heatpipes/structures and Fans/Vents to increase air flow, and even they get hot.

If you actually want to do heavy gaming for long hours, you need to jump up to a G750 class frame.

Let us know how this works out, and what you do moving forward.

This is going to be a huge issue for the next generation of thin 4k+ screened laptops with high end GPU's and CPU's - where is the heat going to go?

They may look pretty, and impress in the first 5 minutes of a sales video or first hands on, but 2 hours later of heavy gaming, where is the heat going to go? :)

sikandar
09-08-2014, 12:21 PM
should i go for this laptop, i dont want to play games on , i want a high performance machine so this is why i want to buy this machine..i will use it for my uni or should i go for lenovo y50 please help no one i helping me here in this form

sikandar
09-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Glad to hear that, enjoy your laptop :) and let us know how it all works out!

should i go for this laptop, i dont want to play games on , i want a high performance machine so this is why i want to buy this machine..i will use it for my uni or should i go for lenovo y50 please help no one i helping me here in this form

arda.yilmaz.13
09-11-2014, 08:09 PM

As I know Lenovo has SLI technology which most of people do not recommend. Because it's a new technology and it's not even working properly. Some of games has optimization issues. I know you won't play games but you know you can't see what life brings you :) But if you want high performance, I guess ASUS is a better choice.