PDA

View Full Version : My G750JM Impressions and Questions

Greatwhitewing
08-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Only had it a day now. Awesome computer and hardware. Will meet my needs for a quite a while. Have a Samsung 250G SSD to ramp performance even further.

What I don't like is Win8, hate having to create an account to log into MY computer, just wrong. Second I bought a laptop, not a tablet, I want my laptop to look and behave like a computer not an overgrown smartphone. I was also disappointed my 1TB of drive was in two separate physical drives. I am doing a clean install with Win 7 on the SSD in a couple days. Already made a system image on a 16gig flash drive but will probably just remove the OS drive and keep safe in case of warranty work.

My questions are TWO. How do I know without trial and error which physical drive is the C drive or OS drive? The left or right side drive? I don't see any text markings saying "Drive 0" or something similar.
Question 2 is about RAM. I open the bottom cover and see only 1 4 gig module and this model has 12gig, is 8 Gig part of the motherboard or mounted on the other side of the mainboard. User manual is useless and can't find any specs telling me the number of slots.

Darnassus
08-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Drive Bay 0 is on the side of the laptop. The Drive Bay 1 is in the middle under the mouse pad. ( 0 being OS drive )

The motherboard has four DIMM slots, two on each side. You can fit another 4gb ram stick if you want for a total of 16gb.

Your 1tb hard drive can easily be unpartitioned by going to "right click my computer > manage > disc management > right click and DELETE VOLUME on the partition that is empty.. then right click on the partition you kept and EXTEND VOLUME, the onscreen instructions will tell the rest. Otherwise just increase the space by double.

You can do the same to your SSD if it came as a 256GB split into two 128's

Good luck.

( P.S. forgive inconsistencies, I am half asleep ;d )

Also keep your hidden backup drive.

Maxter
08-11-2014, 09:23 PM
You know you don't need to create a Microsoft account to install Win8... The option to use it as a stand-alone, not connected to Microsoft is there. You probably flew through the installation and didn't see all the available options (must have been excited :p). The options are written in "small" letters (obviously). I have my Win8 installed and I never connected to Microsoft.

Maxter
08-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Also, you can install Classic Shell to get rid of the Metro screen (no more over-sized phone look). I also did that. It's like being on Win7 all the time now. Works great! (plus you get to keep the Win8 things such as FastBoot and that ultra-stable sleep mode)

Greatwhitewing
08-12-2014, 02:33 AM
You know you don't need to create a Microsoft account to install Win8... The option to use it as a stand-alone, not connected to Microsoft is there. You probably flew through the installation and didn't see all the available options (must have been excited :p). The options are written in "small" letters (obviously). I have my Win8 installed and I never connected to Microsoft.

Is there a way to go back and change it now?

Kelusion
08-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Is there a way to go back and change it now?

Ofocurse you installed the OS now, but to create a simple local administrator account, It's fairly simple, you have to go to Settings on the fair right side of your screen,

Once in Settings Click 'Change PC Settings' all the way down, now click 'Accounts' on the left hand side from the Settings Menu > Accounts,

Accounts > Other Accounts > Add an Account,

Once there click on the last option, Sign in without a Microsoft Account,

Then Local Account,

Once now your account is created, simply go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account, Click on the local account created and Select Administrator to make it a local administrator. Now after this being done, you can backup everything to this Local Account created by making sure its fine by logging into it, and deleting the old Microsoft Profile account or keep it , up to you. Hope this helps you out into what your looking for :)!

Greatwhitewing
08-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the detailed reply.