PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Fan Problems

Airbird
10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I just got my G74SX laptop.

This only happens after a cold start, meaning it has been shutdown for a few hours (over night). On startup the fan makes a load buzzing sound, once it hits the desktop it stops, after the startup I can't get the sound to come back even with a restart or shutdown.

Anyway I can control the fan manually to test the speeds to see if I can get the noise to come back?

I run speedfan but I can't control the fan that way, runs around 2500rpm and temps around 55c well playing World of Warcraft.

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 03:55 PM
You sure it's the fan and not a cd or dvd in the drive? Those fans should NEVER be loud enough to be considered LOUD.

Airbird
10-20-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm 100% it is, when I get home from work I will record the process so you guys can have a better idea of what the hell I am talking about.

It really isn't a problem, only does it for a short time between BIOS and Windows login screen, and only on a cold start. After that you can't even tell the fans are running.

My concern is long term problems coming from this.

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Well, I think you should send it in to get fixed or, if your purchase was recent enough, exchange it for another one. What merely makes a noise now may stop working altogether. Don't let this inconvenience become a real problem!

Good Luck!

btotech.com
10-20-2011, 06:00 PM
can you get this sound to come back on a cold start if the notebook is on its side? meaning lift it up and lay it on its left side.
then run furmark and keep it on its side. this may actually make the notebook overheat and shutdown (another issue that asus may have had no report of but needs a bios update)

Airbird
10-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I'll try that this evening and post back with some video feed.

Last day for in-store exchange was two days ago, same day this all started :eek:

Really would hate to send it in for repair since I've only had it for two weeks and got it for the release of Battlefield 3 (next week). Tryin to figure this out before I'm left with that.

BrodyBoy
10-20-2011, 07:30 PM
There was an owner on another forum that had a loud, mechanical noise coming from the fan and, I believe, the left speaker on his G74. (I don't remember if he said it started immediately or only after he owned it for awhile.) Anyway, he really didn't want to ship it off for service if it was just a matter of a foreign object stuck in the fan or something like that. So he decided to open it up. He discovered a piece of plastic left behind by the installer. It was contacting the fan blades and abutting the speaker box in a way that made it vibrate. Shoddy work! He took that out and everything was fine afterwards.

No guarantee that it's the same thing, of course, but maybe something is obstructing the fan?

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 07:48 PM
I saw that post at NBR, too.

If everyone fixes their own problems, won't that encourage even more shoddy workmanship?

EDIT: BUT if everyone takes a picture of the gross defects, and posts them on NBR that may have an effect . . . . nahhh

Airbird
10-20-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't think it is something in the fan as it only does it a short time (between BIOS and Login Screen) and only on startups with my laptop sitting shutdown for long periods of time.

But I'll let you guys draw a better conclusion when I get a video up. Hopefully get out of this office sooner rather then later...:(

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Look at THIS post (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/616055-how-disassemble-g74sx-reduce-speaker-vibrations-photos.html). See that first image? Does it sound like it could be that?

rayanmalaka318
01-28-2012, 08:25 PM
guyz

i have the same problem in my asus g74sx with the CPU fan

the problem start when my little brother set the laptop stick on the wall and the heat can't goes out

now, when the laptop start-up clicking sound comes and it start to disappear after hitting and moving the laptop so many times

>>>>>

how can i fix it :mad:

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 08:56 PM
How long have you had the laptop? Is it still within the time period of your retailer's return/exchange policy?

City Builder
01-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Both my desktop large side door fan, and my old HP laptop fans made/make a noise like what the OP describes after they've been turned off all night. In the case of my desktop, the fan was replaced and the noise went away, I assume the bearings went bad. My HP laptop continues to this day making this noise after it's been shut off long enough for what I assume let's the fan bearing area cool off and makes the noise upon startup after sitting overnight.

I couldn't be bothered to try to open up the HP laptop to replace the fans as it's going on 6 years old or so, and when it doesn't make the noise after sitting all night, I'll be worried the fan has given up the ghost.

With all the fans that I've had turn south on me in an assortment of desktop computers over the years, they've all but one made a noise after sitting overnight and replacement of the fans has always been the cure in my case.

Don't know if this will turn out to be the OP's situation, but wish you well in getting it dealt with.

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 11:44 PM
+1 @City Builder! A good explanation. Unfortunately, the current state of the forum will not allow me to add to your reputation. :>{(>