PDA

View Full Version : G750JH - LAN Driver problem (error code 31) - Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E

Somepony
08-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Hi,

i have got the G750JH and have serious problems with the LAN driver (the WLAN driver works perfectly fine).

No version of the driver is working, i tried the 2.1.0.16, 2.1.0.17 and 2.1.0.21 drivers. The device manager always shows an error (error code 31) with all of theses drivers installed. also some other network adapters seem to be affected by this. I have included a screenshot. Does anybody know what to do? Thx.

redduc900
08-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Try uninstalling the Qualcomm Fast Ethernet Driver via Programs and Features, reboot, run the Killer Cleaner tool available from Qualcomm...

http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/resources/driverdownloads/

... reboot again, then reinstall the 2.1.0.21 driverset.

Somepony
08-11-2014, 06:11 PM
thanks, but the above steps sadly did not help. they did not repair the broken lan driver and even killed the previously working wlan driver. but it wasn't a problem as i created a system restore point previously to this attempt and restored to it. so - i am still open to any suggestions :)

hmscott
08-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Hi,
i have got the G750JH and have serious problems with the LAN driver (the WLAN driver works perfectly fine).
No version of the driver is working, i tried the 2.1.0.16, 2.1.0.17 and 2.1.0.21 drivers. The device manager always shows an error (error code 31) with all of theses drivers installed. also some other network adapters seem to be affected by this. I have included a screenshot. Does anybody know what to do? Thx.

Somepony, this link pretty much covers all the options, of which you have done all the software related options...

http://www.windowsanswers.net/articles/fix-code31?tid=code31goog&p2=^SW1^xdm015&gclid=CJ-Rtpz6i8ACFSMLMgodTXUAlA

"Common causes of Code 31 errors...

The driver is not installed.
The driver is missing.
The driver is out-of-date.
The driver is corrupt.
A previous attempt to update the driver failed.
The device is not configured as the default device.
** The device is not plugged in correctly or all the way.
** The device is damaged. "

That leaves the last 2, a bad ethernet interface chip/circuit. The only other thing I can think of is to disconnect the cable before doing the uninstall / reinstall of the 2.1.0.21 driver - which is the version I have been using for months - and if that doesn't work - you will need to get an RMA, or return to the vendor if it is still in the return period to get a new JH.

If your vendor doesn't have any more JH's, I would suggest RMA'ing for a fix as to me the JH is preferable to the JZ replacement - Optimus is a pain :)

But, if you run much on battery, the Optimus might be worth wrestling with as it will add some duration to your battery run time. For me I don't care about battery operation much, and if I did I would just buy an extra battery or two, to avoid dealing with Optimus.

Let us know how it works out :)