PDA

View Full Version : Bought a G750JS and after 3 days all my games droped their fps from 50-70 to 15-30fps

Limbux
08-11-2014, 04:48 PM
I have been playing for 3 days with my new G750 JS and suddenly on the 4th day i noticed that the frames of the game i was playing (world of tanks) had dropped severely, the next thing i did was test all other games to see if the problems was the game itself but after testing on Battlefield 3 and Guild Wars 2 i came to the conclusion that all my games had their fps reduced to a point that i cant even play, or start my youtube gaming channel that i planned. feel sad :( ...

Would appreciate some help in this case, thanks in advance

controller version: 340.52

panchock
08-11-2014, 07:10 PM
I have been playing for 3 days with my new G750 JS and suddenly on the 4th day i noticed that the frames of the game i was playing (world of tanks) had dropped severely, the next thing i did was test all other games to see if the problems was the game itself but after testing on Battlefield 3 and Guild Wars 2 i came to the conclusion that all my games had their fps reduced to a point that i cant even play, or start my youtube gaming channel that i planned. feel sad :( ...

Would appreciate some help in this case, thanks in advance

controller version: 340.52
Do you play with AC power in? cause you have to in order to use your nvidia gtx.
If you do so try to go to nvidia control panel, then 3d settings and choose nvidia high performance in the drop down list under the global settings tab and apply it

Maxter
08-11-2014, 08:23 PM
panchock is right. If you are playing on battery, that's your problem. The battery cannot fuel the CPU and GPU at the same time so it will alternate the energy to one then the other (causing low FPS). No battery can fuel both GPU and CPU at the same time. Remember that the battery is a 150+ year-old technology.

theclaw37
08-11-2014, 09:45 PM
panchock is right. If you are playing on battery, that's your problem. The battery cannot fuel the CPU and GPU at the same time so it will alternate the energy to one then the other (causing low FPS). No battery can fuel both GPU and CPU at the same time. Remember that the battery is a 150+ year-old technology.

It's not alternating between GPU and CPU :))). It's just that the battery can not supply enough wattage for the discrete Nvidia GPU to function at normal clock rates, and thus, is underclocked.

Limbux
08-11-2014, 11:00 PM
sorry but i already fixed it seems that i needed to dowload the driver from asus and not from nvidia website, btw i had AC power in thx anyways.

Maxter
08-11-2014, 11:30 PM
It's not alternating between GPU and CPU :))). It's just that the battery can not supply enough wattage for the discrete Nvidia GPU to function at normal clock rates, and thus, is underclocked.
If you do a realtime clock and voltage check while gaming you'll see what I mean. The CPU and GPU will boost to their max, but it will be alternating.

Hucker42
08-12-2014, 06:26 AM
I can play all my games, watch dogs etc. on battery power on my G750JS with no issues of course a very small drop in FPS but nothing dramatic.......glad you sorted the driver issue, but not sure the steer on battery powered gaming is accurate.

hmscott
08-12-2014, 06:40 AM
I can play all my games, watch dogs etc. on battery power on my G750JS with no issues of course a very small drop in FPS but nothing dramatic.......glad you sorted the driver issue, but not sure the steer on battery powered gaming is accurate.

Hucker42, you should see a distinctly large difference in FPS between the Intel GPU on battery, and the Nvidia GPU on AC.

If you aren't seeing a big drop in FPS on battery you might be using the Intel GPU on AC as well - right click on the app and select High Performance Nvidia and then see your FPS jump up on AC and drop on Battery :)

Hucker42
08-12-2014, 07:49 AM
20 years IT experience...trust me I am using the Nvidia GPU on battery as well as on AC. I don't do this very often, but occasional train journeys etc. Means the battery dies pretty quick and as per some advice above my laptop will shutdown with 10% to go to protect from data loss. Appreciate your comments though...would be a nightmare for anyone who had invested in a G750 to be using their Intel GPU on AC.......

Hucker42
08-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Take a look at this link for anyone interested in using the Nvidia GPU on battery on the 800m series of GPUs...http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/battery-boost/technology