PDA

View Full Version : G75VW High GPU Temperatures using laptop screen

MrMystery
08-12-2014, 01:14 AM
So, as the title suggests, I've been getting pretty high GPU temps (GeForce GTX 670M) when playing games using the monitor on my G75VW "laptop", despite having taken off the lower cover and putting the comp on a cooling pad: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EP48NMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I know that the air is drawn from the keyboard, but I'd like to think it helps). Sometimes it's nearing too close to 100 degrees Celsius, which is too darn high. However, when connecting to a TV through an HDMI cable, my temperatures are lower. This is the case for most games anyway, as some games, mostly unoptimized alpha builds and such, can run around the same temps.

Why is this? I'm by no means an expert, but I would think that the GPU would have to work harder to transfer the video to an external source. This is probably a stupid question, but do newer televisions do the graphics processing themselves, bypassing the GPU? That's all I can think of to explain this anomaly, which also would explain some AV and input lag on my Vizio "smart" TV. I also thought it could be a resolution thing, but my TV is big and is definitely using the highest possible rez, yet some games run cooler and look better than on the monitor.

Anyway, I'm considering getting some Arctic Silver 5 to replace the stock thermal paste so hopefully that will help a bit, unless someone suggests a better paste or method of cooling.

Let me know what you think! Any and all advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Clintlgm
08-12-2014, 02:27 AM
Yea if your getting up around 100C that's to hot, Sounds like you know to keep the fans and heat sink clean so yep a Repaste sounds like its in order. I can't help you with the difference between External monitor and onboard Screen, first time I've seen that kind of issues.