PDA

View Full Version : G750JM Odd audio volume issue when plugging/unplugging USB devices

Ms.Malice
08-12-2014, 05:36 AM
The issue itself is mostly unobstructive, but I've never run into it before. thought I see what others had to say.

I bought a G750JM the other day and I'm not having any of the common issues but something pretty odd is happening. Plugging in or unplugging any usb device into any usb port while audio is playing causes the audio volume to decrease about 1/4. The actual volume bar is not altered but the volume is definately down/muffled and it happens through both speakers and headphones. I've tested this through youtube and itunes. Leaving the youtube tab for about 30 seconds puts the audio back at what it should be but itunes needs to be restarted for the audio to return to normal. Have yet to try in-game audio.

Like I said, pretty unobstructive because I'm not constantly hooking and unhooking usb devices, but still odd. I think it might be a driver problem or something with the Realtek audio manager, but I'm not familiar with fixing audio issues at all, so who knows.

hmscott
08-12-2014, 06:15 AM
The issue itself is mostly unobstructive, but I've never run into it before. thought I see what others had to say.

I bought a G750JM the other day and I'm not having any of the common issues but something pretty odd is happening. Plugging in or unplugging any usb device into any usb port while audio is playing causes the audio volume to decrease about 1/4. The actual volume bar is not altered but the volume is definately down/muffled and it happens through both speakers and headphones. I've tested this through youtube and itunes. Leaving the youtube tab for about 30 seconds puts the audio back at what it should be but itunes needs to be restarted for the audio to return to normal. Have yet to try in-game audio.

Like I said, pretty unobstructive because I'm not constantly hooking and unhooking usb devices, but still odd. I think it might be a driver problem or something with the Realtek audio manager, but I'm not familiar with fixing audio issues at all, so who knows.

Ms.Malice, that problem is a new one - at least you are the first to notice and report it :)

First thought, there is a setting in the Sound control panel, under the Communications tab, to reduce volume based on interrupt - you could try setting it to Nothing, rebooting, and testing again for the volume drop response. I always set it to do Nothing.

Second thought, try uninstalling Power4Gear and Asus USB Charger Plus - more the later than the former, but if uninstalling these and rebooting fixes it, you would be well served by leaving P4G uninstalled and looking for an updated Asus USB Charger Plus - it has been known to cause USB instability in the past in some versions.

Please let us know if these suggestions, or something else, fixes the problem :)

Ms.Malice
08-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Good news! Changing the communications settings to "Do nothing" worked. It was set by default to reduce by 80%. I did uninstall Power4Gear and USB Charger Plus as a future precaution though. Thank you!

RayGobot
08-12-2014, 01:34 PM
I have this exact same problem, but mine is a little different. When I connect or disconnect a USB device, my media stops playing all together. If the screen turns off, media stops playing as well.

If I put my system to sleep and then use it again later, volume is as was described in OP's post. Locked to about 1/4 volume and muffled. I have to open MaxxAudio control panel and change the sound field and the audio seems to "reset".

theclaw37
08-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Had the same problem, solved it a few months ago with the same "Do Nothing" setting. You shouldn't uninstall USB Charger Plus and Power4Gear... they are pretty useful.

hmscott
08-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Had the same problem, solved it a few months ago with the same "Do Nothing" setting. You shouldn't uninstall USB Charger Plus and Power4Gear... they are pretty useful.

theclaw37, USB Charger Plus - it is what messes up USB 3.0 speed when not updated to the latest version, and what does it do when Windows is shutdown? That is the whole purpose of the USB Power setting in the BIOS - to allow charging while Windows is shutdown. What does USB Charger Plus do when Windows is running that Windows doesn't do already by default? USB Charger Plus is another unneeded install.

Power4Gear has the same power plans as Windows, and it's only benefit is what annoys the most - it keeps putting it's power plans in play over manual settings of our own - when you switch to battery and back it forces it's Power Saving plan and then goes back to High Performance - so I have to override it every time - once when it goes on battery and again when it comes back on AC. What do you find useful about P4G? For me manually setting the Balanced/HighPerformance/PowerSaver when I want them is much simpler and easier.