PDA

View Full Version : G750JS - GPU temps rising while idle

Bilack
08-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Hello. I have this laptop for about one week, and recently (since i installed MSI Afterburner) i noticed this strange behaviour of my GPU.
As you know MSI Afterburner can monitor the gpu temps even if there isnt a 3d application opened.
So when i open my laptop MSI autostarts and shows arround 39-42 Celsius on my gpu, but after a while i se the temps rising up to 74 Celsius whitout doing any activity that requires dedicated gpu. MSI shows that the gpu usage is 0%. the problem is that even if the temps go high, the fans dont kick in unless i start a game, and only then the fan starts and blows very hot air from the back.
If i leave the game opened but minimized in taskbar the temps go down to 40-42, and stay like this, but if i close the game the temps keep rising again.
First i thought that MSI is showing erronated values, but used it with HWMonitor at the same time, and they both show the same temperature.
Any sugestions?

Maxter
08-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Uninstall Afterburner and check temps again. Maybe Afterburner is controlling the GPU fan. You can also use Speccy by Piriform to check temps on all laptop sensors...

Bilack
08-14-2014, 10:40 PM
It looks like Afterburner was indeed the one raising my temps while monitoring them. I still dont understand why this behaviour from a software that is suposed to only monitor the sensors. And also is weird that the fans dont kick in at all. Half an hour ago (before rading your post) i found my laptop on 84 celsius in idle, and no fan working. uninstalled msi, and now my temps stay to 38 while idle. (checked with Speccy).
thank you!

Maxter
08-14-2014, 10:54 PM
nope... Afterburner is not supposed to only monitor sensors. It has to power to overclock, underclock, overvolt, undervolt, control GPU fans, AND check realtime values of every sensor the GPU has. It is possible that the default setup of the software was controlling the fan and keeping it at a certain % of speed. I use this program to increase the ramp-up GPU fan speed in my desktop GPU on a regular basis.

Maxter
08-14-2014, 10:55 PM
I'm glad you solved the issue, however! :D

hmscott
08-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Hello. I have this laptop for about one week, and recently (since i installed MSI Afterburner) i noticed this strange behaviour of my GPU.
As you know MSI Afterburner can monitor the gpu temps even if there isnt a 3d application opened.
So when i open my laptop MSI autostarts and shows arround 39-42 Celsius on my gpu, but after a while i se the temps rising up to 74 Celsius whitout doing any activity that requires dedicated gpu. MSI shows that the gpu usage is 0%. the problem is that even if the temps go high, the fans dont kick in unless i start a game, and only then the fan starts and blows very hot air from the back.
If i leave the game opened but minimized in taskbar the temps go down to 40-42, and stay like this, but if i close the game the temps keep rising again.
First i thought that MSI is showing erronated values, but used it with HWMonitor at the same time, and they both show the same temperature.
Any sugestions?

Bilack, from your description, it sounds like you are waking from sleep and not doing a cold boot each time. There might be something holding the speed up high on the GPU even though there is no load - applying the OC speeds and not letting the GPU speed drop - in CPU-Z look at the graphs for GPU/memory speed and see what speed the GPU/memory is running at. You might try that before uninstalling MSI Afterburner. Then look for a game idle in the background that is holding high the speed of the GPU/memory - it also might be MSI Afterburner itself, but I hadn't noticed that when I use it. You could exit, not uninstall MSI Afterburner and monitor with GPU-Z to see if the speed/temp drops.

After that, uninstalling MSI Afterburner and monitoring with CPU-Z sensors tab - this is the same tool integrated into the Asus Tweak tool for Graphics cards - but the graphs are brought out into a monitoring panel - the JS uses the Asus Tweak tool for Laptops - if it doesn't have monitoring of temp and other vitals, use the standalone ROG version of GPU-Z to get the info:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2359/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-8-w-asus-rog-skin/

Let us know what you find :)

Bilack
08-14-2014, 11:24 PM
I dont know why, but i cant post the screenshots. however, the values are as follows:
in full load - Core: 954; Memory: 2500
in idle: - Core: 324; Memory: 324
But i know for sure it was MSI Afterburner, because i tested it with Speccy opened: when i open MSI the temps go up, when i close it go down imediatly.
I dont remember playing with any overclocking options in MSI. oh, and i notice the same behaviour when opening nvidia inspector. exactly the same.

hmscott
08-14-2014, 11:49 PM
I dont know why, but i cant post the screenshots. however, the values are as follows:
in full load - Core: 954; Memory: 2500
in idle: - Core: 324; Memory: 324
But i know for sure it was MSI Afterburner, because i tested it with Speccy opened: when i open MSI the temps go up, when i close it go down imediatly.
I dont remember playing with any overclocking options in MSI. oh, and i notice the same behaviour when opening nvidia inspector. exactly the same.

Bilack, I think you need at least 5 posts before you can post images - maybe more - you are now at 5 posts so give it try again :)

Those values are as expected, but what happens when you start MSI Afterburner, do the frequencies go up? Something is creating the heat, either the frequencies are going up or there is GPU work going on. Look at GPU-Z again after starting MSI Afterburner and track the frequencies/load as well as the temps.

MSI Afterburner won't OC on it's own without you setting increased values.

If someone else with a JS can test for this behavior, it might be standard with the 870m, and nothing to worry about. If a process opens the GPU for monitoring / settings api it might "turn on" the GPU and even with no work it might heat up the GPU.

Interesting that noone has reported this before...

Bilack
08-15-2014, 08:30 AM
nope... Afterburner is not supposed to only monitor sensors. It has to power to overclock, underclock, overvolt, undervolt, control GPU fans, AND check realtime values of every sensor the GPU has. It is possible that the default setup of the software was controlling the fan and keeping it at a certain % of speed. I use this program to increase the ramp-up GPU fan speed in my desktop GPU on a regular basis.

sorry, english is not may native language, and i didnt express correctly. I was reffering to the purpose i installed it for (only to monitor my temps, not OCing). I know it can do alot more than only monitoring since i use it on my desktop to OC my gtx 460.

Now, here are my findings after testing with MSI Afterburner, Speccy, CPU-z and Nvidia inspector (i hope i can post screenshots):

test number 1: speccy + CPU-z = gpu temp 38 celsius, clock 324 constant.
test number 2: speccy + CPU-z + MSI Afterburner= temps rising up to 47 celsius, but the clock will randomly switch between 324 and 954, and memory also going all the way up (i took 2 screenshots, 1 with clock 324 one with clock 954)
test number 3: speccy + CPU-z + Nvidia inspector = the exactly same situation as test number 2.

it looks like Afterburner and navidia inspector dont go as high as 81 celsius now, but didn't test it for too long, but its obvious that they will randomly increase the clock and memory on my gpu, and maybe sometimes they stay like that and my temps go very high (like it hapened last night)
these tests were performed with no other 3d application running, and in a room with 26 celsius.

Bilack
08-15-2014, 08:59 AM
I have also discovered (after keeping MSI open for ~ 10 min) that MSI wont let the temps go below 44 celsius. they will stay around 47 most of the time, ocasionally increasing to 51 (when clock goes up) and rarely droping to 44, but never below. as soon as i close it my temps go 40-38.

hmscott
08-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Bilack, weird, MSI Afterburner didn't do this on my JH... I only used it again for a while recently when the 340.43 BETA messed up Asus Tweak tool so to keep the OC I had to use MSI Afterburner, and idle temps were the same as always, and didn't rise. I am now on 340.52 and have uninstalled MSI Afterburner, and am back to using Asus Tweak Tool for Graphics cards - the version used for JW/JX/JH.

Others might want to check MSI Afterburner effects on their JM/JS - it might be something to do with the new Nvidia GPU's...

You could report this to the guys at MSI, I bet they would be interested in this behavior. :)

Bilack
08-15-2014, 10:03 AM
i just uninstalled MSI and monitor my temps with speccy and CPUID HWMonitor. looks like they dont have an impact on my gpu temps while measuring them. Ofcourse MSI was cool cause i could see the temps in mai tray, without having to open any 3d application. Speccy also have an option to show temps in tray, but i think its bugged since it doesnt show the gpu temp. I can only see it in the main window. I also use the GPU Tweak from Asus but the laptops version. the one for graphics cards wont let me control my fan at all.
Thank you all for the answers. one problem gone, now i'm left with the subwoofer crackling problem :).