PDA

View Full Version : G750JW-DB71: No display upon wake. Cannot get it back even after CMOS dump

Dox_in_Calvert
08-16-2014, 01:07 AM
Hi All,

This is a very recent development. Had the machine for just over a year now (so no warranty left). About a week ago, the machine would not fire up the display (LCD or LED backlights) upon wake. I shut it down completely by holding the power key until power off. That did nothing. I removed the battery, still no joy. Each time it started, I got no POST screen, but I could hear the disk drives spinning up just fine.

On a whim, I connected an external monitor to the VGA port and restarted... Voila! LCD came to life along with the external monitor. I shut down the machine (not sleep) with Windows, disconnected the external monitor, and it started up just fine. From then on, I made a conscious effort NOT to sleep the machine - always shut it down... and it behaved fine. Then I forgot one morning and had the same problem. This time I contacted ASUS tech support, and they told me about the Hard Reset (30 seconds on the power button with battery removed and no power adapter). That worked! So, now I figured that I had some corrupt BIOS or other, and I had a method to get the display back without an external monitor.

So... On vacation this weekend, and I mistakenly slept the machine before bed (I was tired), and No display this morning. OK. No problem, hard reset and we're back in business, right..?? Nope! Nothing! I don't have an external monitor handy. I contacted ASUS tech support again, but they had no more golden bullets to help me.

It doesn't seem like a hardware problem in the sense that I've never had any intermittent flickering or poor display behavior. The problem only happened when I slept the machine...and it could be recovered without cracking the case,

When I get home, I will hook it up to an external monitor to see if that works...but if I have to crack the case and check cables, I'm not afraid of doing that.

My only theory is that the cover sensor switch has failed to make the machine think the cover is closed. I'm guessing that switch is accessible once disassembled.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Dox

RayGobot
08-16-2014, 02:41 AM
It sounds like it could be the lid sensor. I'm not sure where it is in the G750's though so I'm not much help. Please update us with what you try/figure out.

Iambrown82
08-18-2014, 07:40 AM
Since it was still under warranty I sent it in and asus fixed it and returned it all within 3 days.

Dox_in_Calvert
08-18-2014, 01:57 PM
@lambrown82:

Did they explain what the failure was? or what they fixed?

My machine is out of warranty now...so I'm on my own. Not afraid to get my hands dirty either...

Thanks for the reply!

hmscott
08-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Dox_in_Calvert, there are a few more things to try... without cracking open the hardware :)

Backup all of your stuff onto an external drive, first. Then make an Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive, if you haven't already - use a fast USB 3.0 16GB flash drive - speeds things up a lot over a USB 2.0 drive or a slow USB 3.0 drive.

Now that your data is protected, and you have a way to restore your OS back to the out of the box configuration, you can try few things.

1) Use the Fn Display controls to restore the internal display: Fn + F6 to see if the LCD brightness is turned down, Fn + F7 to disable / enable the LCD, Fn + F8 to switch internal LCD and external monitor modes.

2) BIOS - reset to defaults.

3) If you are on Windows 8.1, update all of your Windows drivers to latest 8.1 releases - see list below for places to get them - remember that the JW download area hasn't been updated for a long time - Asus only updates drivers for newer releases of the same hardware - the JM/JS/JZ are where the latest G750 drivers are - until the next series of G750's come out :)

4) If you aren't on Windows 8.1, update all of your Windows Updates for Windows 8.0 until the Microsoft Store shows Windows 8.1 upgrade available, then do that upgrade, then do all the Microsoft Windows 8.1 updates, then do step 3 - get all the latest Windows 8.1 drivers for your JW hardware and install them.

5) If you want to start from a clean Windows install, use the Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive to restore back to out of the box configuration and then do the above steps. You could physically pull out your 2nd bay drive to keep it from getting erased during the restore - that way you don't have to copy back the data to it from your external backup.

6) Update your BIOS to the most recent JW BIOS - if you aren't there already - remember to Set Defaults in BIOS after upgrading the BIOS. You may have to play with the Fn display settings again to restore the backlight / enable the display.

Please come back and let us know how that works out for you :)

G750 support areas - The JM download area has the latest of all the G750, with JS/JZ next, the G750JW/JX/JH are out of date:
http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

Here is the latest Notebook Audio - for G750 => Realtek driver package Version V6.0.1.7283
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30

Here are the latest Notebook Bluetooth drivers
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Bluetooth&p=3&ft=27&os=30

Here are the latest Notebook WLAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=WLAN&os=3

Here are the latest Notebook LAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=589&m=LAN&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

Notebook Asus SmartGesture
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+Smart+Gesture&hashedid=n%2fa

Notebook ATK Package
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK%20Package&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, currently at release 2.6.7.0 for the G750JW/JX/JH
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

Here are the Asus posted VGA drivers, it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - currently 340.52, the JM owners probably want to keep using 332.60 to avoid random crashes - as reported by a lot of people.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&s=111

Dox_in_Calvert
08-20-2014, 01:55 AM
@Hmscott (ALCON):

Thanks for the suggestions and links. I've bookmarked this thread for future use.

... My story took a weird turn last night. The machine was back in useable mode and I started to notice serious lag with the cursor - using the trackpad in bed. It got really bad. I checked task manager and nothing was eating CPU cycles that I could see. When I tried to shut the machine down, I couldn't click on the start icon... So - I shut it down via the power button (hold long). Well - after I did that, I couldn't get the display back up again (same as before). The machine remained this way despite the normal CMOS clear, etc.

So - I decided to crack the case this afternoon to see if I could isolate this issue. I disconnected the LCD backlight and LVDS cables and reconnected them. I removed the CMOS battery for about a minute. Then I started the machine - No change. The cables and connectors seemed to be in good condition. So - i'm guessing these weren't the issue.

Then I removed all of the ribbon connectors to get a better look at things and remove the motherboard. I was able to get the MB out (with heatsinks attached), but I decided that I didn't want to tackle the GPU re-seating option, so I started to re-assemble. Once I got it put back enough to power it up (no ribbon connectors hooked up), it started right up just fine. I powered it down and re-hooked the ribbons. No cursor...and no trackpad operation. What? I reseated the ribbon a few times and still nothing. However - the display/backlight has behaved PERFECTLY ever since? I even lowered the lid and the backlight cut off, and then came right back on when I raised the lid (I have the machine set to NOT sleep with lowered lid).

So... now I'm wondering. Could a failing trackpad have been the culprit here? I don't see the connection except that on some models, the mag sensor for the lid goes through the same ribbon and the lid sensor board is located near the trackpad. I can use the machine just fine with external mouse for most occasions, but it's difficult to use when I exercise or similar.

Now the questions:

1. Is there a way to be sure that trackpad is bad and/or the trackpad port on the MB isn't damaged. Device manager shows nothing about trackpad.

2. I found an ASUS parts supplier: http://us.estore.asus.com/ They don't have much for this machine... but they do have the palmrest assembly for $99 USD.. not sure if that includes the trackpad board and cable though...

3. Are there any other parts suppliers out there to check? I have a failed USB port (one of the ones on the daughter card in upper left). Now that I've had the machine apart, it would be a breeze to replace that and get back a USB port.

hmscott
08-20-2014, 02:25 AM
@Hmscott (ALCON):

Thanks for the suggestions and links. I've bookmarked this thread for future use.

... My story took a weird turn last night. The machine was back in useable mode and I started to notice serious lag with the cursor - using the trackpad in bed. It got really bad. I checked task manager and nothing was eating CPU cycles that I could see. When I tried to shut the machine down, I couldn't click on the start icon... So - I shut it down via the power button (hold long). Well - after I did that, I couldn't get the display back up again (same as before). The machine remained this way despite the normal CMOS clear, etc.

So - I decided to crack the case this afternoon to see if I could isolate this issue. I disconnected the LCD backlight and LVDS cables and reconnected them. I removed the CMOS battery for about a minute. Then I started the machine - No change. The cables and connectors seemed to be in good condition. So - i'm guessing these weren't the issue.

Then I removed all of the ribbon connectors to get a better look at things and remove the motherboard. I was able to get the MB out (with heatsinks attached), but I decided that I didn't want to tackle the GPU re-seating option, so I started to re-assemble. Once I got it put back enough to power it up (no ribbon connectors hooked up), it started right up just fine. I powered it down and re-hooked the ribbons. No cursor...and no trackpad operation. What? I reseated the ribbon a few times and still nothing. However - the display/backlight has behaved PERFECTLY ever since? I even lowered the lid and the backlight cut off, and then came right back on when I raised the lid (I have the machine set to NOT sleep with lowered lid).

So... now I'm wondering. Could a failing trackpad have been the culprit here? I don't see the connection except that on some models, the mag sensor for the lid goes through the same ribbon and the lid sensor board is located near the trackpad. I can use the machine just fine with external mouse for most occasions, but it's difficult to use when I exercise or similar.

Now the questions:

1. Is there a way to be sure that trackpad is bad and/or the trackpad port on the MB isn't damaged. Device manager shows nothing about trackpad.

2. I found an ASUS parts supplier: http://us.estore.asus.com/ They don't have much for this machine... but they do have the palmrest assembly for $99 USD.. not sure if that includes the trackpad board and cable though...

3. Are there any other parts suppliers out there to check? I have a failed USB port (one of the ones on the daughter card in upper left). Now that I've had the machine apart, it would be a breeze to replace that and get back a USB port.

Dox_in_Calvert, nice debugging :)

Anything that the hardware is waiting for at post / boot time can cause the process to hang. There have been lots of instances of disconnecting all USB peripherals to allow boot up to complete, and the Trackpad is a USB device - and the fact that you have a dead USB port could also be involved, not sure how the USB hub chain works into those items - but one or the other might be the problem.

1) You could try to remove the USB connecting cable to the daughter card with the failed USB port to see if that allows booting to complete. Or, pull the daughter card if the USB connection is through the connection socket/port.

Asus provides the entire top section, with keyboard/trackpad/top plate for $99, is that what you are referring to?

The Asus estore.asus.com site allows you to pick the nearest country, but for me it is problematic getting connectivity to even the us.estore.asus.com - maybe you will have better luck from your location.

Here is the link to the top plate / keyboard / trackpad assembly replacement, universal for all G750's:

Replacement Keyboard Module (G750JW, U.S.) - SKU: 90NB00M1-R31US0
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6461

And, all G750 components from the Asus US estore:
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=g750&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

Let us know what you find is the fix :)

Dox_in_Calvert
08-21-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm afraid my trouble shooting has come to an abrupt end. After I made last nights post and shut my machine down... it went dark again. Oh well... this is starting to get frustrating. I decided not to mess around with it anymore and just go to bed.

This morning, for gins and giggle, I try to power it up... and the power LED gives me a feeble little flicker and goes dark. Subsequent depressions of the button yield NO results at all - so now it is completely dead. I"m afraid I'm out of my depth now. So - I called ASUS support today, and the gentleman I spoke with told me that despite being over 1 year since I registered the machine, it is still covered under warranty. So, it goes in a box for shipping out tomorrow. I told him that I had the unit open to reset the CMOS, check cables, and reseat connectors, but he said that it should be OK still.

I really like this machine, and I've always had very good success with ASUS components (mainly Motherboards) in the past. This is the first time I've purchased a complete ASUS system. I hope that it's an isolated incident.

Thanks for the links btw.. much appreciated.

hmscott
08-21-2014, 01:27 AM
I'm afraid my trouble shooting has come to an abrupt end. After I made last nights post and shut my machine down... it went dark again. Oh well... this is starting to get frustrating. I decided not to mess around with it anymore and just go to bed.

This morning, for gins and giggle, I try to power it up... and the power LED gives me a feeble little flicker and goes dark. Subsequent depressions of the button yield NO results at all - so now it is completely dead. I"m afraid I'm out of my depth now. So - I called ASUS support today, and the gentleman I spoke with told me that despite being over 1 year since I registered the machine, it is still covered under warranty. So, it goes in a box for shipping out tomorrow. I told him that I had the unit open to reset the CMOS, check cables, and reseat connectors, but he said that it should be OK still.

I really like this machine, and I've always had very good success with ASUS components (mainly Motherboards) in the past. This is the first time I've purchased a complete ASUS system. I hope that it's an isolated incident.

Thanks for the links btw.. much appreciated.

Dox_in_Calvert, at least now Asus will get it working right for you, and after that warranty service the G750 will be covered for another time period (90 days?), so if anything is still lingering and you find it quickly after getting it back from RMA, you can get it turned around 1 more time.

Be sure and tell Asus everything you suspect is wrong with it, like the failed USB, etc.

That's why I always strongly suggest to people with a G750 problem to give Asus a chance to make it right, even though you are out of warranty by a bit, and opened up the laptop case, Asus is still going to make it right for you.

It never hurts to ask Asus for help, no matter what you think might keep them from helping - ask Asus and let them decide.

Let us know how it works out! :)

Dox_in_Calvert
08-22-2014, 12:31 AM
This will be my first experience with their tech support in this fashion. I just wish their RMA center was on the East coast - shipping from MD to CA was pretty expensive.

As it happens, I remembered the USB issue when I wrote up the problem description for the RMA checklist form that they provide. It was one of the ones on the USB daughter card - so it should be an easy swap out... If I had to bet, I'm guessing they will shot-gun it and replace the Motherboard.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I will be sure to post an update here - and let folks know how my experience with the support group goes.

-Dox

Dox_in_Calvert
08-31-2014, 02:03 AM
Quick update: Unit is on it's way back from ASUS. The customer rep couldn't tell me exactly what they replaced/repaired. They didn't require any payment from me - so it was covered under warranty (despite more than a year since purchase).

The rep said that details on the repair will be included with the unit. I DO know that they gave me a fresh hard drive since their policy is to return it in factory original condition - including OS.,,real glad I backed up my data...

Dox_in_Calvert
09-05-2014, 12:28 PM
OK. Unit was returned. Deciphering the cryptic work order sheet they provided, it appears they replaced the MB and the HDD (it had a bad sector anyway). This was all NO cost to me (except shipping, which wasn't cheap with Insurance).

However, they didn't address the failed USB port! I called support and they said.. "Sorry, just ship it back and we'll fix it". ??? Really - you just had it and I specifically mentioned the failed port on the RMA checklist that I filled out for the machine. Clearly the technician didn't read it. I suggested they send me the USB daughter board and I repair it myself... No joy - not that I expected any different.

So - I just ordered the USB daughter board, and I will replace it myself - very simple.

I would call this a mixed bag experience. On one hand, they stand behind their product. They were accommodating on the primary failure, but their technician dropped the ball. I would chalk this up to "Good corporate policy, bad luck with a technician"

One other thing to note, the new MB that came back required my Win8 install (on SSD which I removed before shipping) to 'find new hardware' when I booted back up. It's possible I got a slightly different MB model. The BIOS was also 206 (older version)...so perhaps that's why Win8 did it's thing.??