PDA

View Full Version : G750JM - Issues with putting in a new HD and Changing to Win7(x64) (No Fans)

Shade_Chylde
08-19-2014, 06:03 PM
After 3 months of owning my G750JM, the hard drive crashed.
I was okay with that, as I've been computing a LONG time and have an understanding that sometimes HD's just go out, no matter how much you baby a machine.
I do not use this for gaming, and the few games I DO play on it wouldn't have taxed a low end machine 5 years ago.
I use this for my business. I am a mobile DJ, and therefore I chose this "lappy" as my machine for playing gigs (I run Serato DJ and a pioneer DDJ-SX with it).
So, my hard drive went out, and I went to a local computer repair/retail place and had them replace the HD and also bought a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and had them put that on as well, as I LOATHE Windows 8.1.
I did the research prior to making this decision and found out that this machine is, in fact, compatible with Windows 7(64).
Or so ASUS says.
Ever since the O.S.-Conversion/HD-Replacement, my cooling has gone to complete crap.
I used to fire up Serato, or anything intensive, and my cooling would rev up like a 70's model Chevelle.
Now, I can barely feel any air flow out of the machine at all.
I have gone back to the PC repair place, and actually sat in the shop with the tech, and with both of us troubleshooting, downloading/activating drivers, etc... We can't find a way for me to control my fans. They are plugged in, and they run just enough to let me know they haven't burned out. Also, the repairman's diagnostic shows they're just sitting in there, doing nothing.
Even firing up Rayman Legends had no effect on the fans revving up, and that game used to have them going full bore.
This is unacceptable, as one of the main reasons I BOUGHT this machine was for the cooling/ventilation.
Please help!

Maxter
08-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Are you using the latest BIOS? did you install GPU tweak? (the latter can cause faulty fan speed).
HDD don't fail in 3 months unless you are hitting the laptop (seems to me that as a mobile DJ, you are constantly lifting and setting laptop down - maybe SSD makes more sense).
Check the cooling control in Win7: Control Panel > Power Options > advanced. There is the CPU option where you can set it to active or passive. check that it's on active for your needs.

Shade_Chylde
08-20-2014, 06:05 AM
I appreciate it, and will try it now. I already got the bios up to speed and DL'd the WIN7(x64) drivers from the laptop support page.
:D

Shade_Chylde
08-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Unless I'm missing a driver of some sort (which I'm pretty sure I snagged everything), I can't find a fix for this.
I transferred an MMO game to the laptop from my desktop called "Rift" to test it.
Cooling fans still barely audible, barely any air coming from the back during gameplay. I selected the GEForce GPU to run it and everything.
Help.

swaaye
08-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Windows 8 can be made to function almost identically to 7 of you install Classic Shell. That is probably the best route because ASUS does not really support 7 on G750. I haven't tried 7 myself, mainly because there are no official drivers for download.