PDA

View Full Version : PNY 560 TI's crashing when enabling SLI (FX CPU)

Switchblade
10-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Hey guys,

So I just got my second 560 Ti and wanting to SLI it.

I'm using a Crosshair V Motherboard and the new AMD FX 8120 CPU.

So basically what happens is when I go to enable SLI in the Nvidia control panel, my screens (I have two) flicker on and off for a few seconds, and then all of a sudden one display goes black while the other comes back on the lowest resolution.

At this point Aero is disabled, and the Nvidia software has completely crashed on me. It just hangs. I can eventually close it but the entire driver set is now gone so I have to reinstall the drivers and then restart the computer for it to go back to normal.

This is really frustrating right now and any help would be apperciated.

xeromist
10-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Try running the new card by itself to confirm that it is in fact working. A bad card or SLI bridge can cause problems like this. And actually I would test both cards without the bridge as well. You don't actually need it for SLI, although performance will suffer without it.

Switchblade
10-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Hey there,

So I was messing around with a lot of settings for the past 30 minutes and this is what I've tried:

1. Remove SLI Bridge (Didn't give me option to do SLI without bridge)
2. Move the card in the top slot to the second slot (This was my first 560 Ti)
3. Plugged in both monitors into second video card. (It's blow the first one) - When I rebooted with this setup I saw nothing on the displays. Just blink black monitors and couldn't get past it. I had to plug the monitors into the top graphics card to see any video again. Is this because the motherboard will no show anything since it considers the card on top the main card?

Still getting crashing but it's dark here now so I can't mess with it anymore tonight.

Let me know your thoughts.

xeromist
10-21-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm confused by your steps as listed. Did you try the new card by itself? It's important to verify that it is in fact working. I'd load a game while you were at it to test for stability.

Switchblade
10-21-2011, 11:22 PM
No I haven't actually put the new card in by itself to test to see if it worked, however I'm running multiple displays. I was able to plug one monitor into one card, and another into the other card and both were displaying fine.

I will test to see if the new card is faulty, what is interesting now is since I unplugged the new card, Call of Duty Black Ops is crashing when it loads up a level.

That is a new problem.

Switchblade
10-22-2011, 07:37 PM
So it isn't the cards or the bridge that was the problem.

I formatted windows and enabled SLI without a problem. I think it's something to do with one of the Windows Updates. So for now I'm not installing any of those and are running SLI just fine.